Larian Lifts the Lid On Divinity: Dragon Commander

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Larian Lifts the Lid On Divinity: Dragon Commander

Larian's "dragons with jetpacks" game has a new website and a snazzy trailer that's actually kind of informative.

We got our first look [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112223-Steampunk-Homeworld-Meets-Dragons-in-Larians-New-Dragon-Commander] at Dragon Commander back in 2011 and cool though it was, it wasn't much to go on, either - just some kind of steampunk RTS with dragons and stuff. But now it's time to finally get a good look at what it's all about, thanks to a new, more detailed trailer and a full-blown website of its very own.

Divinity: Dragon Commander, so titled because it's somehow connected to Larian's Divinity fantasy setting, will combine turn-based strategy, RTS combat, political intrigue, collectible cards and even the ability to transform into a dragon and personally smack around your foes. Putting all that together without turning it into an absolute hash is a tall order, especially for a tiny indie studio, but the new trailer looks awfully good, cheesy narration notwithstanding. Screens, too!

[gallery=1067]

Barring unforeseen circumstances, Larian hopes to have Divinity: Dragon Commander out this summer for the PC and Mac, although the Mac version may come out later, and while objectively I realize that this is not a game for everyone, I'd be lying if a big part of me didn't want to scream, "But it's dragons with jetpacks! Come on!" Do you get where I'm coming from? If so, you might want to spend some time poking around at divinitydragoncommander.com [http://www.divinitydragoncommander.com/index.php].

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Im keeping this on my radar, partially due to there being nothing else out this summer that i know of that interests me.

And yes, id think id like it to not suck.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This is looking pretty good so far, I really enjoyed divinity 2 and this looks like its got dragon combat that is more polished then that had so yay.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
Rational part of my mind: "But why would a dragon need a jetpack?"
The fun part of my mind: "Shut up!"

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
Larian Studios is really good at making Video Games.

I am probably gunna 'pre-order' this because I know it will be good.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
How do you make dragons more awesome?
Give them jet packs of course!

Sadly it didn't work with hedgehogs and rocket shoes.

OT: This looks interesting, it might not be my preferred type of game,
but I'm keeping my eyes on it. Maybe I'll buy it later. It certainly looks different.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I've been enjoying Divinity 2 thanks to the last discount in GOG and it's pretty awesome, I'm already looking forward to finally play Divine Divinity (got it on their pay-what-you-want promotion, but never got to play it).

This looks pretty interesting indeed and I'm already looking forward to it.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
From what I saw this studio works hard and got a raw deal on it's last game due to budget and time. I hope it works out well for them this time. Always nice to see studios trying a few original and ambitious ideas.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Wow this looks pretty fun. Color me intrigued, I'll be keeping an eye on this game.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
First thought at seeing the first screen shot 'hey look, an MMO GUI, not interested'.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
we've come a long way in jetpack reptile technology since the days where we'd strap one to a brontosaurus and let it lazily drift about. why, we didn't even know that it was a made up creature!

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I've never been a fan of the RTS/action games where the commander can enter the fray and the game turns into a shooter. However, it does look fun with some dialogue moments possible.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Looks like these guys got the right formula for that silly yet serious RTS Red Alert used to bring, if unit control isn't all wonky this will be something to own.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I'm struggling to see where the transition from Divine Divinity to this happened. Not complaining, just slightly baffled.