Impire Review - Hellish in Every Way

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
Impire Review - Hellish in Every Way

The scariest thing Impire has to offer is an army of glitches.

Read Full Article

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I...I have never read a 1/5 review on this site before.

It was even more surprising considering the problems weren't mentioned until the very end.

I am quite glad I didn't pick this one up, all things considering. I have the week off of work and find myself somewhat bored due to having caught up on all my games, shows and so on. Guess I will still be looking.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Strange, I haven't had a single crash to desktop while playing the game at all. Perhaps it was just on the reviewer's PC?

I do agree that the game starts off with a hiss and a roar of Dungeon Keeper of old but slowly just dies down to stupid micromanagement and combat is just "select all guys, dump here".

If they can work out a LOT of the kinks the game has some potential but at the moment it's on the back-burner for me.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Do ya'll think you'll be doing another review IF they release a patch that fixes these bugs?

Cause this games sounds like Space Empires V to me.
GREAT game, after the fixed a CRAP LOAD of bugs.

Saw a lot of reviews actually updating theirs scores after SEV got overhauled.

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
Abomination said:
Strange, I haven't had a single crash to desktop while playing the game at all. Perhaps it was just on the reviewer's PC?
We tried it on several different machines, ranging from required to beyond the recommended specs.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Nasrin said:
Abomination said:
We tried it on several different machines, ranging from required to beyond the recommended specs.
That grants me a new and unexpected confidence in my new rig. "So good even bad games can't break it!"

There is yet ANOTHER patch out for the game, just dropped today but in typical steam-based updates there's no manifest for the changes until a day after you've uploaded the thing so I have no idea what it does.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Previews looked decent but OUCH that was not what I was expecting out of this game. Between ACM and Impire gamming has been hit with a wave of suck lately.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Bloody hell, even when others have said games are bad, I don't think I've ever seen a 1/5 before on The Escapist.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Aw. I was hoping this would turn out well. Maybe they can fix some of the issues with patches, but it doesn't sound promising at all. I'll wait and see whether anything happens.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Paradox has been having a bad streak with games they have published lately. Warlock, Gettysburg and now Impire all seemed very buggy at launch. They have also published really great things like Mount & Blade and Magicka, but I think it's wise to excersise caution when they release something new.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Bloody hell, even when others have said games are bad, I don't think I've ever seen a 1/5 before on The Escapist.
Steel Battalion was a 1/5 if I recall correctly.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Bostur said:
Paradox has been having a bad streak with games they have published lately. Warlock, Gettysburg and now Impire all seemed very buggy at launch. They have also published really great things like Mount & Blade and Magicka, but I think it's wise to excersise caution when they release something new.
Actually, M&B and Magicka were both also buggy to the point of almost being unplayable at launch, both having several game breaking bugs. Even refusing to run at all for a lot of people. Though the Magicka devs put some seriously impressive effort into getting the bugs fixed quickly.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Hah. I even thought to myself: "The title and thumbnail remind me an awful lot of Dungeon Keeper..." *sigh* good times.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I'm also surprised by the low score. I've played it on two different computers and have not experienced any of the technical difficulties described. Granted, I agree the game is definitely no Dungeon Keeper, but that's to be expected when comparing a knock-off to the real deal. That's like complaining other water guns aren't Super Soakers. Well.. d'uh.

My experience so far... entertaining and humorous, but also boring and tedious. 3 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: If you're itching for a dungeon manager (like I was) and can't wait for War For The Overworld to release, this one isn't too shabby for only $20.

Mr.Wizard

Apr 22, 2010
That's a shame, I was actually looking forward to to this one. Maybe I'll pick it up in 6 months when the worst of the bugs are ironed out.