Trackmania 2 Stadium Open Beta Hits Steam

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Trackmania 2 Stadium Open Beta Hits Steam

The latest addition to the madcap racing franchise is ripping it up on Steam.

I have no idea where we are on the Trackmania timeline these days. The haphazard mix of sequels, expansions, subtitles and do-overs, not to mention the whole ManiaPlanet thing, has me completely baffled. But I can tell you that Trackmania 2 Stadium is now in open beta on Steam, and it is very much the real deal.

The new Trackmania will be instantly recognizable to veterans of the series because it is, for all intents and purposes, an old Trackmania - Trackmania Nations Forever, to be precise. The cars are the same, the tracks are high-speed, high-flying, multi-surface stunt-driving nightmares and the name of the game, as always, is to unlock tracks by earning medals in solo play and blow the doors off the competition in huge multiplayer races online.

But it's a seriously sexy overhaul of the old standby, with a ton of new visual effects and options, more detail around the track and even improved audio. It also offers built-in streaming functionality through Twitch (and possibly others) and supports stereoscopic 3D glasses, and while it may be disappointing that it's not exactly a "new" Trackmania, it is free, and it's gangs of silly fun.

The Trackmania 2 Stadium [http://store.steampowered.com/app/232910/?snr=1_7_15__13] open beta is live now on Steam. The full version is expected to launch in April.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Is this going to be completely free like Nations Forever? (as in "free free", not "beta free"), if not, then I'm not interested.

EDIT: Nope, not free, but at least it's pretty cheap, $10 sounds about right, let's hope it has more content than Nations Forever though.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
Is this going to be completely free like Nations Forever? (as in "free free", not "beta free"), if not, then I'm not interested.

EDIT: Nope, not free, but at least it's pretty cheap, $10 sounds about right, let's hope it has more content than Nations Forever though.
well, from what I've been told, it's like an add-on to Trackmania 2 Canyon
don't quote me on that though

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Looks like fun. Always did enjoy Nations, in fact it's about the only multiplayer racing game that I like. Will definitely be checking this out, and $10 is nothing really, considering the amount of gameplay you get with Trackmania - it is completely community driven after all.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I'm so happy that the Stunts-remake [http://blog.daniel-weisensee.de/wp-content/gallery/stunts/001_1154342466.gif] not only succeeded but succeeded enough to spawn sequels! So looking forward to this. :)