Capcom Takes Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Off Screen

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Capcom Takes Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Off Screen

Capcom will be adding off-screen play and cross-region multiplayer to Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the Wii U.

Capcom recently told gamers that the Wii U version of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate would not be featuring off-screen play. This was a disappointment to many fans of the franchise, who had hoped to utilize the Wii U Gamepad to enjoy the title free from the constraints of a television. In response to feedback it received following that announcement, Capcom has now said that it will be making a patch available shortly after the game's March 22nd release that will add in off-screen functionality. The patch, set to come out in April, will also add cross-region multiplayer to the Wii U version of the game.

This reversal is welcome but also a somewhat surprising about-face. When Capcom initially confirmed that off-screen play would not be a part of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, it explained the exclusion as being a planned decision with the intent of emphasizing the game's highly customizable HUD. "The way that we approach making the title for the Wii U was that we wanted to make the Wii U GamePad subscreen a compliment to the main screen," said producer Ryozo Tsujimoto, speaking with Joystiq. "So instead of making the screens replaceable or being able to switch them, we really wanted to make sure that players are utilizing both real estate of the screens, in conjunction with each other."

The addition of off-screen play will certainly be nice to have, but the inclusion of cross-region multiplayer could arguably be even more significant. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate already boasts some impressive multiplayer options, including the ability for gamers playing on the Wii U to play locally with people using the 3DS version of the game. Even though cross-region play will be limited to just North America and Europe, it bridges a wide gap between many players and could help to strengthen the Monster Hunter community in the long run.

Capcom has long reaped the benefits of Monster Hunter's popularity in the east, and would definitely stand to gain from from the franchise becoming more prevalent in western markets.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Between this and the supposedly free DLC, I'm actually proud of Capcom. Oh god, I feel dirty for saying that. I think I need a shower.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
OK, Capcom after all your on disc DLC that you have charged for I am finally ready to love again. This means I can actually bring my Wii U on the train and play Monster Hunter the entire time. That is a 13 hour train ride. Really, thank you Capcom.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
Wow, Capcom dodged a bullet there. I would of been livid to the nine realms and back if it didn't have Off-Screen Play. I don't care if you added a customizable menu, but my ability to play a Wii U game drops significantly if it requires a TV, and Monster Hunter is NOT a game I can sit down at a TV to play.

They better not reneg on this though, or I'll be pissed.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Crimson_Dragoon said:
Between this and the supposedly free DLC, I'm actually proud of Capcom. Oh god, I feel dirty for saying that. I think I need a shower.
You shouldn't be proud of Capcom because they arn't doing it because they wanted to add features to this game to make it the most enjoyable for their player but rather they did it because everyone complained REALLY loud in order for them to take notice.

This is capcom buckling to pressure not capcom doing something good for a change.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
GAunderrated said:
Crimson_Dragoon said:
You shouldn't be proud of Capcom because they arn't doing it because they wanted to add features to this game to make it the most enjoyable for their player but rather they did it because everyone complained REALLY loud in order for them to take notice.

This is capcom buckling to pressure not capcom doing something good for a change.
Monster Hunter is handled by completely different people from those responsible for what happened with SFxT, and they use the authority granted by being Capcom's biggest earners to get the execs to look the other way.

The only pressure they buckled to here was getting a release outside of Japan.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
As much as I love this series, the lack of an online multiplayer for the 3DS version is enough to make me hesitate. My multiplayer experience on Tri really spoiled me; I just don't feel like I would get the same enjoyment without it. Now, if I could just get a Wii U... I'm sure I'd put this feature to good use.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
Pitty its a wii u exclusive as i'd really like to be able to play the game on xbox isntead of needing to buy a wii U :( ah well at least i now have a game to add to the reasons to buy one list(if they even release it in the UK).

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
And they still haven't released the HD version for the PS3 outside Japan yet does nintendo own the rights for MH on consoles for the rest of the world or something?

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Spacewolf said:
And they still haven't released the HD version for the PS3 outside Japan yet does nintendo own the rights for MH on consoles for the rest of the world or something?
they haven't released the NON-HD version outside japan yet, MHP3rd is stilljapan exclusive (a shame really, I prefer yukumo, the hot springs, the drink system, a decent farm, and two fully customizable felynes to Tri U's moga, boring chef, terrible farm and GODDAMN CHA-CHA >_<)

and yes, nintendo has exclusivity rights for a little longer yet, I'm not sure if MH4 will be inside or outside the contract (let's hope not, MH4 + Vita = killer app :p)