11 Bit Studios Reveals the "Secret Preorder" Game

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
11 Bit Studios Reveals the "Secret Preorder" Game

The top-secret project in the works at Anomaly: Warzone Earth developer 11 Bit Studios is - wait for it - Anomaly 2.

Indie outfit 11 Bit Studios did something a little weird earlier this month, offering a half-price preorder [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122139-11-Bit-Studios-Pioneers-the-Secret-Preorder] deal on a game that hadn't been announced. At $7.50, the amount involved wasn't outrageous, but there was no getting around the fact that people would be throwing their money into a black pit and hoping for something good to come out. Some (including me) thought it was clever, while others saw it as a preorder cash grab run amok.

No matter how you feel about it, it's likely that those who did lay down their seven bucks won't be too disappointed by the results, as the studio announced today that the big secret is a sequel to its 2011 "tower offense" hit Anomaly: Warzone Earth [http://www.amazon.com/11-bit-studios-S-A-Anomaly/dp/B006G2ZEV6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362080700&sr=8-1&keywords=Anomaly+Warzone+Earth], entitled simply Anomaly 2. Earth has been overrun by machines, humanity is almost wiped out and the few survivors are forced to roam the northern tundra in convoys, searching for food and supplies.

The new game will maintain the core concepts of the original but add a number of new features, including the ability to transform units into specialized "war mechs." The single-player campaign will be bolstered by a new head-to-head multiplayer mode, and of course the whole thing will feature improved visuals all the way around.

[gallery=1072]

Anomaly: Warzone Earth was unusual but quite good, so I have fairly high hopes for Anomaly 2. The announcement trailer is pretty sexy, but the first of the developer anomaly2game.com [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0j6SshkrpI&feature=youtu.be].

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
For a second there, I thought "The Secret Pre-Order Game" was the follow-up to DLC Quest...

Balmong7

Apr 9, 2010
Let's be honest. The photo for the "secret pre-order" was two characters from anomaly. Not exactly hard to predict that this is what it was.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Not surprised, could be significantly more impressed, but hey: thanks to the Humble Bundle I had a ton of fun Anomaly Warzone Earth to the point that the Korea standalone expansion was an instabuy when I saw it in the Play Store. Will doubtless pick this up at some point too. Hoping for a proper sequel feel though; i.e. more than more of the same.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
The original Anomaly was pretty good so I'll probably end up getting this game. that being said the "blind pre-order" thing was probably only good for getting them publicity, but I still wouldn't do it.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I never heard of [/i]Anomaly: Warzone Earth[/i], but reading up on it, I can say that if I was to have spent the $7.50 on the blind pre-order, I would have cancelled it by now. Tower Defense is not my thing.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Not bad i guess, at least it wasnt "Super Bus Timetable Warrior" but i'm still glad i didnt bite.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I got pretty bored of the first Anomaly, so I'm certainly glad I didn't pre-order :p

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
Not to be a graphics whore, but damn does this game look good for a niche indie title