Iran Sends Snipers to Exterminate Giant Mutant Rats

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Iran Sends Snipers to Exterminate Giant Mutant Rats

No, this isn't the plot of a B movie, this is actually happening.

Tehran, the capital of Iran, has a rat problem. No, let me rephrase that: Tehran has a monster problem, and they just happen to look like rats. According to Tehran's city council, radiation and chemicals that have been used against the rodents over many years have mutated the typically diminutive pests. The rats currently roaming the streets can weigh as much as 11lbs, and are now larger than the cats that used to prey on them.

Chemicals and poisons that were once utilized to keep the pest problem in check appear to have no effect on the new, larger breed, so Iran called in the big guns - literally.

After the sun sets, snipers with infra-red capabilities take up positions around the capital and begin scanning for the mutant rodents. After a night of "pest control," the bodies of the freakish animals are either burned or buried in lime to prevent the spread of disease.

According to city officials, over 2,200 of the cat-sized rats have been taken out, but that's just the beginning. The city hopes to flesh out the sniper brigade even further, eventually bumping up their numbers to as many as 40 armed, rat-murdering men in uniform.

Source: Geekosystem [http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/437326/20130220/iran-rats-tehran-snipers-mutated.htm]
Image Credit: Korobokkuru [http://www.flickr.com/photos/97172203@N00/2398407997/sizes/z/in/photostream/]

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
11 lb. rats. 11 lb. rats. If they get any bigger, they're going to need anti tank rifles to take them out.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Attack of the Giant Iranian Rats?

Real life looks more and more like fiction every day.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Anti-American Eagle said:
11 lb. rats. 11 lb. rats. If they get any bigger, they're going to need anti tank rifles to take them out.
Thats what tactical air strikes are for though, giant mutant rodents :p

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Would any of the said mutated rats happen to be training young mutated turtles in the arts of combat and deception?

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Eh, I've seen rats that big in Florida, the gators keep the population down though.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Ok, even if this 1950's sci-fi movie story about giant radioactive mutants is true, is there anyone here that thinks this wasn't just an excuse for Ahmadinejad to post snipers around the capital?

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Zombie_Moogle said:
Ok, even if this 1950's sci-fi movie story about giant radioactive mutants is true, is there anyone here that thinks this wasn't just an excuse for Ahmadinejad to post snipers around the capital?
That was my first thought aswell.

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Boris Goodenough said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
That was my first thought aswell.
I feel like the giant burn piles of rat bodies would prove otherwise :D

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
SkarKrow said:
What kinda firepower would you need for 100+ pound rats?

But hey, some giant mutant rodents don't seem so bad.

I'm guessing these Iranian rodents aren't as cuddly though.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
MikeWehner said:
I feel like the giant burn piles of rat bodies would prove otherwise :D
Well cover stories are always nice but Iran', well, media has been very active off late, the monkey in space that just happened to change colour and facial structure on the trip http://www.space.com/19629-iran-space-monkey-launch-questions.html . Their stealth fighter no expert in the field deemed able to fly plus the little model plane they used as "test footage" of the real plane. http://theaviationist.com/2013/02/13/our-stealth-fighter-jet-is-not-a-mock-up-irans-defense-minister-says/
But other than that I only believe lizard people rule the world *puts on tinfoil hat*.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Tohuvabohu said:
SkarKrow said:
What kinda firepower would you need for 100+ pound rats?

But hey, some giant mutant rodents don't seem so bad.

I'm guessing these Iranian rodents aren't as cuddly though.
Maybe they're decadent american spy rats?

And now I want the capybara! :3 Why would anyone harm it? D:

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Given Iran's state media, has anyone considered that maybe they're exaggerating the size of the rats? You know, just a little, maybe they got the idea from Godzilla or Hulk comic.

Seriously 'radiation made them big' is some fantastic state-media science right there.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
This story is a exactly a month too early.

The city council may well have said those things, but Iranian politicians are not renowned for their grasp of reality. Radiation and chemicals tend not to work that way. I'll buy that there are large rats there, but there are large rats elsewhere. They get a little over a foot long in New York, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's some species in Tehran that gets a little bigger.