Alien Noire is Prey 2 - Sort Of

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Alien Noire is Prey 2 - Sort Of

The mysterious Alien Noire is a fan-made Prey 2 website whose primary purpose appears to be to tell Human Head and Bethesda to quit screwing around.

Alien Noire denied [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121894-Alien-Noire-Countdown-Points-to-Prey-2] that it was at all involved with the site, saying it didn't know what it was or who was doing it. The plot, as they say, thickened.

The big secret was finally revealed today as the countdown hit zero, and it turns out the whole thing is a fan site, with images, videos and other information collected from various Prey 2 sources across the internet. The screens released over the course of the past week are stills from video footage or "interpretations" of the game world based on past descriptions, as is the image of the planet Exodus that appeared in the Alien Noire subscription window.

The countdown was successful in attracting attention, drawing in 50,000 hits in the first 48 hours, and the site does offer some interesting Prey 2 information, particularly the timeline of the game's development to this point. But even though it's no great surprise that the site isn't official, I can't help but wonder if all the buildup won't actually work against it; Bethesda denial notwithstanding, doggedly determined Prey fans were probably hoping for a little more than a fancy petition site. And yes, of course there is a petition.

"Tell Bethesda and Human Head to put aside whatever reasons caused the delay and make this a franchise and game series people will play for years to come!" it says. "Shotgun blast aliens in the face! Drop kick citizens off balconies! Toss credits at green exotic dancers! Help Tommy save Earth from destruction! Help yourself by signing your name and making your voice heard! You're going to make this all possible."

Oh well.

Source: Alien Noire [http://www.aliennoire.com/home/]

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
F*CK!
Well that's disappointing... Someone start making cup cakes so we can really get Bethesdas attention.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
As a PREY fan, I do agree with the message.

Hey, Bethesda! Stop jerking us around and start making some progress on this damn game!

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I can agree with this message. Honestly, things fall through, things get cancelled or delayed or stuck in development hell, but it's more annoying when a company won't be fucking honest about it, or worse, won't say anything at all. Even if it's going badly, I'm sick of just being kept in the dark.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
AS a gamer, I felt disappointed by Prey. The main character swore far too much for my liking, and when I got to a puzzle/portal room, and found out that the only way to get around as apparently 'shoot the glowing things', I decided to stop playing it.

However, I am super-psyched for Prey 2. I wish we had more decent bounty-hunter games. Hell, I just wish we had more than Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath and...

Were there any other bounty hunter games?

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Yeah we all saw it coming. Really hope Bethesda get their heads out their ass and finish the damn game all ready.

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
A dark time for an industry that doesn't know how to keep secrets.
But in a dark corner of the internet
One website is still trying to find the answer to Prey 2's persistant delay
Alien Noire: fanmade wake-up call.
You sir are brilliant. I'd pay to hear Garrison to say that.

As for the topic, I do hope the game is made. It looked like a cool concept and a bit of a refreshment in setting

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Well that's ridiculously disappointing. Here's hoping that it could bear fruit and jostle Bethesda along the way to actually doing something about it.
Captcha: Do you love me? No Captcha... I... we... There's someone else! There's another botchecker, ok? I'm sorry but you're not who I fell in love with anymore and that escalated quickly.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
It could have been worse. It could have been some kind of elaborate troll scheme. I hope this works. I REALLY HOPE IT WORKS.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
VoidWanderer said:
AS a gamer, I felt disappointed by Prey. The main character swore far too much for my liking, and when I got to a puzzle/portal room, and found out that the only way to get around as apparently 'shoot the glowing things', I decided to stop playing it.

However, I am super-psyched for Prey 2. I wish we had more decent bounty-hunter games. Hell, I just wish we had more than Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath and...

Were there any other bounty hunter games?
Star Wars Bounty Hunter for the PS2, starring Boba's father, Jango Fett my man. Decent enough game, might be worth looking for it in a bargin bin if you're into Star Wars at all.

OT: That's a shame, I liked Prey well enough to be intrigued when the sequel was first announced, hopefully it doesn't wind up going the way of Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines.