Space Hulk Returning to PC, Mobile

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Space Hulk Returning to PC, Mobile

The classic Warhammer 40K board game gets a shiny new adaptation later this year.

The success of XCOM has proved that there's a mainstream future for turn-based strategy games. Even the upcoming RPG Shadowrun is [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121878-French-Fansite-Leaks-Shadowrun-Returns-Images]comparing itself[/a] to the critical darling. With that foundation in place, now is the perfect time for a new Space Hulk adaptation. That's the thinking behind developers [a href=http://www.spacehulk-game.com/]Full Control[/a], who are bringing the classic Warhammer 40k board game to both PC and mobile platforms later this year.

The original board game takes place in the Warhammer 40k universe, where there is only turn-based strategy. Players command a squad of space marines as they crawl though the dangerous confines of massive, derelict space craft to retrieve ancient technology, all the while being hunted by the dreaded Genestealers.

While previous video game adaptations have used the claustrophobic confines as a setting for shooters, Full Control is adamant about maintaining the same tactical feel of the original. "What we're overall aiming for is to take the board game experience and make a digital game out of it," said Thomas Hentschel Lund, head of Full Control. But to make that adaptation as true as possible, they're making a few changes. "If you have in your head the boardgame as you play that, and XCOM, and mix those two together. That's the game experience you can expect from Space Hulk."

Full Control plans to release Space Hulk on PC, iOS, and Android, with most of the focus on the PC version. Rock Paper Shotgun has a rather extensive [a href=http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/01/space-hulk-preview/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RockPaperShotgun+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%29&utm_content=Google+Reader]interview[/a] with Lund, where he discusses plans for cross platform multiplayer, coop modes, and even nerds out about the intricacies of translating the rules. Full Control hopes have players raiding wrecks between summer and Christmas of this year.

Source: [a href=http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/01/space-hulk-preview]Rock Paper Shotgun[/a]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Shit it looks like the Blood Ravens have been "gifted" a Space Hulk. (I know they're actually Blood Angels, my way is funnier.)

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
This has the potential to be seriously freaking awesome I'd say.

We'll have to see how it lives up to that potential, but consider me cautiously excited.

Aug 31, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
Shit it looks like the Blood Ravens have been "gifted" a Space Hulk.
Fortunately I think you're Blood Angels.

Reading the interview: "you?re [Blood Angel Captain Michaelus] Raphael"

Edit: Okay, edit noted.

wombat_of_war said:
apparently everyone including the developers dont know there was a space hulk video game years ago.
No, it's mentioned in the interview, there's even a screenshot.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
wombat_of_war said:
apparently everyone including the developers dont know there was a space hulk video game years ago.

regardless more turn based strategy is more than welcome :)
Well the thread title is Space hulk returning to PC, mobile so someone knows there was.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Fuck yes, Space Hulk is a ridiculously fun game. More so when you're the Nids so hopefully they give you that option

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Looking forward to this. Hopefully the specs won't be too high so I can play it on my laptop...

Loved the boardgame.

FOR THE EMP'RAH!!!!

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Nice! Always wanted to the play the board game, but haven't gotten a chance too yet. Hopefully, this will give me a chance to experience it without having to drop a ton of money on the board version. ;P

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I never made it far in the original game. I put the Terminator with the heavy flamer in front and scorched anything I saw, but then he died and the rest of my squad seconds after that.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
and i bet this will still be a better adaptation of Aliens than the Aliens games was

OT man i loved space hulk when i was getting into 40k, and i really hope they keep Blood Angels, the blood ravens are kinda boring and suck

Nightvalien

Oct 18, 2010
YES YES YES YES YES FOR THE EMPEROR YES, hmm I mean, I look foward to it I'm not hyped at all. *EXPLODES*

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Goddamn I hope it ain't as hard as the older games. Talk about multitasking gone mad. Like playing Hearts of Iron III on maximum speed without the luxury of a pause button.

But didn't the old game have 3 chatpers - Blah Angels, Ultrablues, and Imperial Fisticuffs?

Ah well, I'll probably get this. 40K has fun fluff, and the games are usually at least on the good end of average.

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
Terminator Armour DLC, Storm Bolter DLC, Power mele weapons DLC, Deathwing DLC, Ultramarine DLC, Imperial Fist DLC, Chaos DLC and Veteran mission mode DLC each sold separately.

*Speculative Prediction*

(And hopefully it gets an android version as well.)

EDIT- Of course it will probably be Blood Angels, but the chance to be Deathwing would kick bum!

Mar 26, 2008
LordJedi86 said:
EDIT- Of course it will probably be Blood Angels, but the chance to be Deathwing would kick bum!
Awww yeah! The Dark Angel's Deathwing Terminators would kick so much arse! I could have sworn the original PC version had them in it, or at least they were on the cover in their white armour.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Did Games Workshop steal Team 17's Worms font for their title?

Aww, now I really want to see a turn based Warhammer/Worms spin-off. That would be truly amazing.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I got the latest version of the board game and have been having fun with it, this could be good too, I really hope so!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I have a not very mint at all copy of Space Crusade in my shed somewhere I had a lot of fun with. I also had a lot of fun with the PC game, I hope multi-player at least has the Imperial Fist, from memory they had the best gear cards.

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
IanDavis said:
The success of XCOM has proved that there's a mainstream future for turn-based strategy games.
So am I the only person who thought it was a mediocre game at best? And I'm not even saying that from the perspective of a fan of the originals, because I've never played them.