Four More Free Games Ring In Vita's First Birthday

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Four More Free Games Ring In Vita's First Birthday

Own a Vita? Have a PlayStation Plus account? Good news: You're about to drown in a wealth of free games courtesy Sony.

A few hours ago we brought you word [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122490-PS-Plus-Sweetens-the-Pot-With-Spec-Ops-The-Line] that Sony plans to offer a handful of new, free games for PlayStation Plus subscribers. Those offerings include PlayStation 3 games like Spec Ops: The Line, Joe Danger 2: The Movie and The Cave, while the Vita will see gratis versions of Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice and Tekken 6. Great, right? Hold on to your butts, it's even better than you think.

According to a new entry on the official PlayStation.blog, PS Vita owners will also be awarded an additional four titles initially released for the PSP and original PlayStation in celebration of the handheld's first anniversary. From March 5 until March 11, those of you who own a Vita and have a PlayStation Plus subscription will be able to download the excellent, yet largely overlooked PlayStation roleplaying game Wild Arms, as well as Patapon, Piyotama and Patchwork Heroes from the PSP. Thanks to the magic of emulation, each of these games works on the Vita, and offers largely the same experience that they did when they first debuted on their respective Sony platforms of origin.

Oh, but that's not all. Jake, tell them what else they've won!

Well Johnny, in addition to those free games, Sony has also discounted the price on a huge number of Vita titles. The full list is coming up in just a moment, but the key thing to remember is that each of these games has been marked down by a whopping 30 percent. Of course, that's just the standard discount for your ordinary, every day player. Those with PlayStation Plus subscriptions will see each of these games at half off their original price. Great news for those of you who hope to download these titles, as those proprietary Sony memory cards cost way, way more than they should.

Anyway, on to the list:

Army Corps of Hell
Big Sky: Infinity
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
Dokuro
DYNASTY WARRIORS NEXT
Knytt Underground
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes French
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
LEGO Lord of the Rings
Orgarhythm
Pure Chess
Retro City Rampage
Sine Mora
(with Trial)
Spy Hunter
Street Fighter X Tekken
Sumioni: Demon Arts
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Finally, Sony has also just opted to discount three more games -- FIFA Soccer 13, Madden NFL 13 and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath -- though these price cuts are less impressive than the ones I mentioned a moment ago. The first two titles will see a 30 percent price reduction, while that last one will only shed a quarter of its total cost -- and those figures are the same whether you have a PlayStation Plus subscription or not.

While Sony obviously has no idea how to market or successfully back the Vita, that doesn't stop third party companies from releasing genuinely good games on the system. We don't expect the handheld to ever top Nintendo's 3DS, but while it languishes in undeserved obscurity you may as well reap the rewards and pick up a ton of games on the cheap. It's the least you can do.

Source: PlayStation.blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/03/04/more-ps-vita-anniversary-deals-this-week-including-new-free-games/]

Dec 14, 2009
[HEADING=1]It's Mahvel baby![/HEADING]

Still won't convince me to get a Vita though :D

Not until Monster Hunter comes along.

Any day now...

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
It's been a year already?
Jesus, that went fast. And another year of me not getting a Vita will continue onwards.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Too bad I already have most of those games. I guess I'll pick up FIFA13 since I've been thinking of getting that for a while now. Should tide me over until Senran Kagura makes it to my mail box.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
Very nice indeed. The PS Plus games for Vita up to now I mostly already owned so these additions are welcome and much appreciated.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Great news. Now the only problem is if Sony could actually be sensible about their accounts system and fix it so I can even think of buying anything off their store with a piece of plastic.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Wow, it's a good thing none of these titles are downloadable or anything, otherwise they'd have to explain why this isn't being offered in all markets.

OH, WAIT. What BS.