Update: Pirate Bay Sets Sail For North Korea (Not Really)

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Update: Pirate Bay Sets Sail For North Korea (Not Really)

North Korea's Kim Jong-un has been kind enough to invite the Pirate Bay to an extended stay in the DPRK.

"When someone is reaching out to make things better," says the Pirate Bay in a press release, "it's also ones duty to grab their hand." That, it claims, is why the Pirate Bay's servers are to relocate to North Korea, at the invitation of Kim Jong-un. This, the Pirate Bay claims, is North Korea's first step on a path that will change its attitude to access of information.

"This is truly an ironic situation," says the Pirate Bay. "We have been fighting for a free world, and our opponents are mostly huge corporations from the United States of America." Hence the attractiveness of a North Korean offer - "one thing is sure, they do not care about threats like others do," says the Pirate Bay - though it seems more likely that the file sharing site's touted relocation is more conceptual than actual. In other words, it's a funny; at no point in its release [http://thepiratebay.se/blog] does the Pirate Bay actually say that it's moved, though it does claim that Kim Jong-un made the offer.

The Next Web [http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/03/04/the-pirate-bay-may-or-may-not-have-been-invited-to-north-korea-but-its-not-being-hosted-there/] points out that the only real link to North Korea - the IP address 175.45.177.217, which shows up on a Pirate bay traceroute - is probably being spoofed. There's an outside chance that the Pirate Bay's servers are somewhere in Asia, perhaps Cambodia, but it seems more likely that they're still located in Europe. Speed tells, and there's no way the file sharers can enjoy high-speed access without a European connection.

"The individuals behind The Pirate Bay are unlikely to trade speed for the chance to say the site is hosted in North Korea," The Next Web concludes. "They are more likely to hack around and can claim it regardless of whether it's true."

Source: Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/mar/04/pirate-bay-north-korea]

Update:

The Pirate Bay has since admitted, on its Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/ThePirateBayWarMachine] page, that the whole thing was a con. The full text of its statement reads:

Today, we've all learned something.

We hope that yesterdays little hack proved that we know the internet better than our enemies. Since about 40% of the entire internets traffic consists of torrents enabled by us, you can almost say that we ARE the internets. Fuck with the internets and we'll ridicule you (points at MAFIAA with a retractable baton) until you beg for mercy.

We've hopefully made clear (once again) that we don't run TPB to make money. A profit hungry idiot (points at MAFIAA with a retractable baton) doesn't tell the world that they have partnered with the most hated dictatorship in the world. We can play that stunt though, cause we're still only in it for the fuckin lulz and it doesn't matter to us if thousands of users disband the ship.

We've also learned that many of you need to be more critical. Even towards us. You can't seriously cheer the "fact" that we moved our servers to bloody North Korea. Applauds to you who told us to fuck off. Always stay critical. Towards everyone!

10 years and still running.
We are Schrödingers site and it's up to us whether we want to stay alive or not, or both.

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
Calling this situation ironic is a huge understatement. Now I?m terribly conflicted...

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
This could work out (assuming this is legitimate). North Korea makes some money (which will most likely be used to make statues of Our Dear Leader... Bugger), The Pirate Bay thumbs its nose at copyright laws and if a block does go up the NK government can scream CENSORSHIP! at the world and we get to laugh at the hypocrisy of the entire thing.

Of course what goes out of a country must also go into it as well...

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I will be very disapointed the next time I download a Hollywood blockbuster* only to find myself viewing a 3 hour speech by the Dear Leader.

With no subtitles.

Not that I'd ever do that of course. Piracy is bad. Etc.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Honestly, I think this is kinda hilarious :p

Seriously, can you imagine the US asking a dictatorship whom they're currently excersizing heavy sanctions against to censor something for them?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Kalezian said:
... you know, except the fact that files are not hosted on TPB, you only download a .torrent which is basically a magnet for you to download said file form people that have it already.
This hasnt stopped various organisations from around the world going after it in the past.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Err... Is this the same North Korea that uses propaganda? And a government that controls their people?

I'ma go literally laugh my ass off now...

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
And there you have it, kids. There's should be no doubt in anyone's mind now these "political pirates" are nothing more than rebranded Stalinists.

'eh, I still think they're Stalinists, if not in policy, then definitely in their inherent hypocrisy.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
This is a bad idea.

1. Where are they getting the server space to take the millions of download the Pirate Bay gets on a day to day basis in North Korea? Have you seen it at night? http://cyberarms.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/north-korea-cyber-capabilities_1.png

2. What ever the corporations are doing you think is so wrong that you are willing breaking the law is no where nearly how horrible North Korea is. If they do accept it, North Korea will not be doing it for free, they will want to be paid in some form or another. They literally cannot afford to do this for free. You would be actively supporting the worst dictatorship on the planet.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Speed tells, and there's no way the file sharers can enjoy high-speed access without a European connection.
Not really.
according to speedtest the fastest coutnry in the world is south korea. followed by Lithuania. pretty much whole world except North America and africa got fast internet now.

Kalezian said:
so actually moving their servers to North Korea would more than likely be a good thing since I have never seen a .torrent more than a few kilobytes in size.
the largest torrent file i saw was over 8 megabytes. it seems to be caused by many files. like when they used to zip a movie into 50 files it woudl take more space to write down all info of these files in torrent file. so the larger item count the larger it gets. but yeah most are in the realm of 10-100 kb.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
This does a lot of harm to their claim of fighting for freedom. What they are essentially saying is that their right to watch game of thrones for free is more important than the right of North Koreans to eat, practice religion or funnily enough, speak about what they want.

What a bunch of myopic cocks.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
I thought Anonymous was the group who does stuff purely for the lulz. Nice to see them tell off anyone who supports North Korea though.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
when did we become the onion?
nah, we're way more 133k. (...I am so sorry...)
anyways, good to hear that it was just a trolling attempt, things could be so much worse

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
lancar said:
Honestly, I think this is kinda hilarious :p

Seriously, can you imagine the US asking a dictatorship whom they're currently excersizing heavy sanctions against to censor something for them?
Well, it's more likely that they would just use that as an excuse to justify communications sanctions to shut down The Pirate Bay, much like how North Korea is already considered fairly isolated.

To be honest I could sort of see someone as detached from reality as Kin Jong Un, extending the invitation by way of hopefully getting the media the pirate's bay distributes into the country through the existing blockades and sanctions. Assuming of course he wasn't so set on himself blocking outside ideas and propaganda, with the movies, games, etc... and the ideas they represent being distributed by The Pirates Bay being exactly the kind of thing he does not want.

It's an amusing phrank, but The Pirate's Bay is right, you have to be kind of detached from reality to even begin to believe it, or that they would consider relocating there.

I'll also be somewhat honest in saying that I doubt there is one set of Pirate's Bay servers, there are probably duplicates and backups effectively donated by supporters all over the world, so if one major hub was busted, or people even sold out, the operation would largely continue. It wouldn't surprise me if they have more or less identical (or close to it) servers operating in Europe, Asia, and North America. I wouldn't even be surprised if they have potentially self-contained hubs on all major continents at this point. This kind of community/grassroots action despite having an apparent leader/voice isn't the kind of thing you can just shut down with police actions unless you basically instate a global, facist, regime, it's just not centralized enough for that, or the kind of organization that operates based on the will of a tiny, seleect, leadership without which it cannot function. It's sort of like why they might nail "leaders" (who are that way more by consensus than a formal position) in Anonymous but the group as a whole continues to exist, it's not like they are fighting say the fictional organization "Cobra" and all they need to do is nail the big three (Cobra Commander, Destro, and maybe Serpentor) and call it a day with everything else falling apart into micro factions at the best.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Strazdas said:
Not really.
according to speedtest the fastest coutnry in the world is south korea. followed by Lithuania. pretty much whole world except North America and africa got fast internet now.
Speedtest is a poor metric, as their servers are terribad. The results are not only inaccurate but inconsistent. I rarely get more than 20MBit scores on any of their servers, and occasionally, the same servers will give me 70Mbit+, while a proper TP test always maxes out my connection at 100/100Mbit. Speedtest's results depend on their servers, and the servers just doesn't perform well enough.