Developer Claims There's No Good Or Bad Witcher Ending

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Developer Claims There's No Good Or Bad Witcher Ending

CD Projekt RED doesn't believe in rigid story structure, so you can spend your fifty hours of play as you please.

Every event in the The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121900-The-White-Wolf-Returns-in-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt] should have some kind of impact on, or reference to, the main plot, CD Projekt RED believes, but it sees the main plot more as a theme, not a sequence of events. The story will be all around you, and it's up to you to decide whether you want to spend all your time fighting undead, or worry about the war that's ravaging the countryside, in the fifty-plus hours of gaming Witcher 3 intends to provide.

This philosophy even extends to the ending. "We don't have multiple colors of endings in our game," says CD's marketing man Michał Platkow-Gilewski. "I don't know if there's anything like a bad ending or a good ending. It's just the way you played." Quest designer Jakub Rokosz prefers to think of the ending as a consequence of the player's choices, not a predetermined outcome set in stone by the plot. "You decided that the world should be shaped this way," says Rokosz, adding "If you don't like it, you can try it again."

One way in which you might be able to accidentally shape the game world is by accepting, or not accepting, the surrender of an enemy NPC. Witcher 3 will use a morale system; if the enemy gets too scared of you, they may give up, but if you don't accept their surrender and kill them instead, this could come back to bite you. Or maybe you do accept, and later they go on to kill friendly NPCs. "Or join up with his friends and have another ambush for you," Rokosz points out. There are all kinds of options, and a huge amount of detail is being poured into Witcher 3's open game world.

"We always try to make our characters and our world believable," says Platkow-Gilewski. "But one day you'll have to judge whether we've done enough work on that or not." This title's been announced for PS4 and PC and, if all goes well, will have a 2014 launch.

Source: Rock Paper Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/05/cd-projekt-on-the-witcher-3s-open-world-beards/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rockpapershotgun%2Fsteam+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%3A+Steam+RSS%29]

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Sounds promising. I always thought there should be a surrender option for enemies in more games.

But yeah, I tried the last Witcher title and couldn't get into it. Maybe this one?

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I am excited for this. I loved both the Witcher games so far and this is an extremely ambitious culmination to the series. I don't know if CD Projekt will be able to pull it off successfully but I have very high hopes.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
These dudes are the best...

"We don't have multiple colors of endings in our game," says CD's marketing man Michał Platkow-Gilewski.
I love him.

Kinda excited for this. The devs actually know what they're doing.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
I'm still a little bit worried about the amount of promises they're making. Call me skeptic, but I don't believe they can deliver a game as polished as The Witcher 2 if they keep coming up with new features every other week.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
CDProjekt Red- 1
BiowarEA -Nill.

Ball is now in Bioware's court.
I hope for the oncoming zing and snark wars between developers.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Karloff said:
This philosophy even extends to the ending. "We don't have multiple colors of endings in our game," says CD's marketing man Michał Platkow-Gilewski.
Ouch. Hey Bioware...

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
[quote/] "We don't have multiple colors of endings in our game," says CD's marketing man Michał Platkow-Gilewski.[/quote]
CD Projeckt RED, I love you guys. You make great games - I still replay Witcher 1 (and 2) and am looking forward to that cyberpunk game. But seriously what's with all the bashing on your competition? First that dig about Witcher 2 having better graphics than Dragon Age 2, now this; it just comes off as childish. Yeah, BioWare has made some mistakes and their engine may not be as pretty as yours, but I don't see them insulting you to get attention or anything.
[quote/] "I don't know if there's anything like a bad ending or a good ending. It's just the way you played."[/quote]
So multiple endings that are all morally grey? If so, I'm sold right [i/]now[/i]. I don't care if you half-ass it from here on out and the rest of the game sucks, I'll get it just for this. I [i/]hate[/i] multiple endings with "good" or "bad" labels being arbitrarily applied to them.