Square Enix Registers Mystery Domain For "Deus Ex The Fall"

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Square Enix Registers Mystery Domain For "Deus Ex The Fall"

What is Deus Ex The Fall? We have no idea, but Square Enix just registered a website using that title as its URL.

We can all agree that the Deus Ex franchise is largely excellent, right? The original Deus Ex is one of the finest PC games ever created, and the more recent Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a very entertaining romp through humanity's near future, pocked with high concept ideas concerning the next steps in humanity's existence. Deus Ex: Invisible War had some good ideas that were crippled by its console-centric development, but two out of three ain't bad, right?

With this in mind, no one would blame you for anxiously awaiting word on a new Deus Ex game. I want that game to exist and odds are solid that you do too. As a result, any snippet of information coming from publisher Square Enix even remotely related to the series becomes news.

To wit: At the end of February we reported [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122394-Square-Enix-Files-New-Trademark-for-Deus-Ex] on a trademark filing for something called "Deus Ex: Human Defiance." On hearing that title everyone jumped the conclusion that it would be a sequel to the aforementioned Human Revolution, but unfortunately it turned out to be related to the upcoming Deus Ex film adaptation.

However, this morning it was revealed that Square Enix has registered three new domain names: DeuxExTheFall.co.uk [http://whois.domaintools.com/deusexthefall.com]. Obviously the common link between each of those domain names is the phrase "Deus Ex The Fall," but what exactly is Deus Ex The Fall?

We contacted Square Enix to see if the company might be willing to shed some light on the situation and were met with a succinct "no comment." Well actually, it was more along the lines of "we can't comment on that at this time," which seems to imply that we'll find out what purpose these domains might serve at some point in the future -- presumably the near future.

So, we're in the dark on this one, but we would like to point out that a sequel to Deus Ex: Human Revolution would make sense for a number of different reasons. It's been a year and a half since that game's debut, and this August marks two years. That's plenty of time to put together a new Deus Ex title, especially if the development team is able to re-use assets or concepts seen in Human Revolution. Likewise, since Human Revolution was both a critical and financial success it would be frankly baffling and totally uncharacteristic for Square Enix to not create a sequel. This is the company that's pushed out innumerable Final Fantasy titles over the past twenty years, so we must assume that its higher ups and bean counters are keen to pull in additional cash by greenlighting more Deus Ex games. Finally, are there any of you who don't want another Deus Ex game? Go ahead, raise your hands. Got them up there? Okay, now look at yourself. You're both objectively wrong, and look like an idiot for taking orders from a computer. We hope you're happy with yourselves.

We'll bring you more word on what exactly Deus Ex The Fall might be just as soon as we hear something official. You can put your hand down now.

Source: Superannuation [https://twitter.com/supererogatory/status/309022523851411456]

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Maybe it's a game about trees getting cybernetic enhancements, ultimately leading to their leaves becoming discoloured and falling off? They didn't ask for this.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
I'm going on a whim here with the title being THE FALL that it's set right after Human Revolution and right before the overly borg-y old sequels, so that it shows the transitional period between human and cyborg. Or something.

My guess is that this will be the tie-in into the good ol' plot.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Earnest has come out of nowhere and is suddenly writing loads of news stories. To top it off, the stories are written with a unique, distinguishable flair.

WHO ARE YOU? :O

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Methinks it could be either the title for the movie, or a possible title for the next game rumoured to be in development.

Or it could be a curve ball and Squeenix is authorising a series of light novels.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Sounds like they're still going with the Icarus symbolism. I hope they don't over-do it too much.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I didn't ask for this, but I LIKE IT.
If it's another game, they better have learned from the horrible boss battles from Dues Ex: HR. That, the abrupt ending and the indecisive augmentation metaphors with no idea what theme they're trying to convey, are the only things in the game that kept it from being brilliant.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Genocidicles said:
Sounds like they're still going with the Icarus symbolism. I hope they don't over-do it too much.
I don't know about that, we've played as Jesus Christ.and then as Adam the first man, maybe we'll now play as Lucifer? I can see a Deus Ex game based loosely qround Paradise Lost sort of working.

JakeM_10

Feb 8, 2012
OuendanCyrus said:
It's a movie. Again.

But seriously, I wouldn't mind another DE game.
Source?

But yeah, I wouldn't mind a new Deus Ex either. Really liked the first one and HR was one of my GOTY's in 2011. A new game in the series would be awesome. :)

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
GenGenners said:
Earnest has come out of nowhere and is suddenly writing loads of news stories. To top it off, the stories are written with a unique, distinguishable flair.

WHO ARE YOU? :O
For sure! Most articles I can guess who wrote them within the first few lines without looking at the author tag but this fella has thrown me a few times.

To be honest, I love the more colloquial tone Escapist has taken on over these past few months. Makes it a very enjoyable read and makes the site more than just a collection of news links.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
As long as they don't ruin the ending so much as with HR, i'm fine.

Now, the question is, will flygirl still be my pilot(Hope so!) and stick-stuck-up-my-ass guy still the one talking in my ear?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
The Fall? Perhaps a game based around the fall of the Illuminati and the rise of Majestic 12 to bridge the gap between Human Revolution and Deus Ex?

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
Genocidicles said:
Considering that the cinematic trailer showed Jensen flying towards the sun with wings for arms and then falling when they burned up, the song used in the trailer is called Icarus, and the fact that the safe-falling augmentation is called the Icarus Landing System, I think it's fair to say they're already overdone it. It's only going to go down from here.

Wouldn't stop me from playing another Deus Ex though.