Slender: The Arrival Opens Up Its Beta

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Slender: The Arrival Opens Up Its Beta

If you want to get in on the action ahead of Slender's March launch, there is a way.

Wouldn't you like to be scared witless by Slender: The Arrival [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122043-Is-That-The-Slender-Man-Over-There] right about now? Sure, you could wait until March 26th, when it pops up on PC - it'll be a little later than that for the Mac version - but, should you decide to pre-order, you can get access to the beta build today.

"On launch day, the game will go on sale for $10," says developer Blue Isle. "As a special gift to everyone pre-ordering, we've decided to let you give yourself a discount of up to 50%. You decide what to pay." So that $10 retail can be reduced to a mere $5 but, if you'd like to pitch in a little extra to help an independent developer, other swag can be had. Pay $15, and you get a copy of the game's soundtrack on release day. Go crazy-nuts, pay $25, and you get the soundtrack plus "5 downloadable high resolution paintings from the game," says Blue Isle.

Interested in the pre-order bonuses, are you? In that event, follow this link right here [http://sites.fastspring.com/blueislestudio/product/slenderthearrival]. This should work for the Mac folks as well as the PC crowd. So, how scared would you like to be today?

Source: Slender The Arrival [http://www.slenderarrival.com/]

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Huh, interesting. I'm considering at least getting the $5 variant.
I'm a bit confused by those non-Slenderman enemies in the trailer, though.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
It appears that they've stopped offering the Producer's Edition

I pre-ordered a while back, paid $60, & got all the $25 tier swag plus my name in the credits

& for anyone curious, I'm pleased with my decision so far

Skeleon said:
Huh, interesting. I'm considering at least getting the $5 variant.
I'm a bit confused by those non-Slenderman enemies in the trailer, though.
The non-Slenderman enemy in the trailer seems to be based on The Masked Man from the series Marble Hornets; he appears to be working for Slenderman, but the details on why are a mystery

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Zombie_Moogle said:
The non-Slenderman enemy in the trailer seems to be based on The Masked Man from the series Marble Hornets; he appears to be working for Slenderman, but the details on why are a mystery
Didn't know that "extension of the mythos" existed. I'll have to catch up on it.

For other interested folks, apparently the Marble Hornets video series can be watched here: http://www.youtube.com/user/MarbleHornets/videos?view=0

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
You know, I have never pre-ordered a game before, and as far as AAA pre-orders go, I've always considered doing it for a non-collector's edition kind of dumb. But at this price and with the instant beta access, I'm seriously considering a pre-order here. $5 is about the price I was planning on picking it up for in the inevitable Steam sale anyway.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
Just pre-ordered the 5$ one, about to play it. Seems pretty neat. I like the alternate enemies and the graphics look niiiice

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Pre-ordered. The engine is fantastic, not even "by indie standards" but just gorgeous. They also know how to do atmosphere and what makes a game scary. If these guys were making A Machine For Pigs instead of thechineseroom I'd pay $100 for it. Really excited for the launch and what's in store beyond the "find 8 pages" approach.

Edit: Just looked into it and they're using Unity to make this. Unity. Either tablets are going to mess shit up for the big guys, or the Ouya is gonna pack more punch than I anticipated. Wow.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Does anybody know how to ditch this guy long enough to finish grabbing the pages? After so many pages, he hangs too close to get anything before he just teleports in front of you.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
weirdguy said:
Does anybody know how to ditch this guy long enough to finish grabbing the pages? After so many pages, he hangs too close to get anything before he just teleports in front of you.
Damn, I died with 7 of 8 (so, yeah, I bought the Preorder). Generally, I found that sprinting (especially around corners) helps shake him off quite well, even at that late stage. But, still, I just couldn't find the last page in time. I dunno if there's more of a trick to it than just that.

---

My first impressions so far: Awesome edition of the well known game. I've only experienced the first level so far (the forest, which looks rather different from the original one, which is good; more varied and obviously better looking) Unity works alright, it's a bit sluggish at times (although that may be deliberate) and the texture quality varies a lot (some things look amazing, some rather awful). One major issue I have with the game is a very basic one: CHANGING CONTROLS! The original Slender was freeware indie, but they'll release this as a $10 indie title. They really should allow you to change controls (or at least let you do it via an *.ini or something).

---

Quick question for the Slender-pros around here: Is it advisable to scout the area and look for all 8 pages before picking any of them up and then rush to grab them all? Or do the new ones only spawn once you start picking them up? And are the pages still randomly spawned in various locations each time you try it?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
From what I can tell based on plays and vids:

- Pages still show up randomly
- Pages MIGHT spawn as you pick them up, or visit locations you haven't been to, which means that grabbing the hardest to get to pages before the more accessible ones may or may not work now
- The page inside the main park building can show up in any of the rooms
- Slendy is likely to spawn next to ANY of these locations when you first visit them, the chances of which increase for the amount of pages you have
- The louder the crazy breathing sound is, the closer the maximum distance from you becomes
- If you outrun him by a large margin, he will teleport near you quite immediately as soon as you get near something large enough to partially obscure him
- If you let him chase you around long enough without forcing him to teleport in front of you, you can double back towards anything
- Getting too close without actually losing will temporarily disable the flashlight (great design decision, actually)
- There is actually a canoe, pewdiepie, but sadly you can't use it.