EA Executive Clarifies "Microtransactions In All Games" Comment

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Executive Clarifies "Microtransactions In All Games" Comment

Electronic Arts CFO Blake Jorgensen now says that EA will not actually build microtransactions into all its future games, just the mobile ones.

The ability to buy individual items for small amounts of money, better known as microtransactions, in Dead Space 3 did not go over well with an awful lot of gamers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121805-Dead-Space-3-Dev-The-Last-Thing-We-Think-About-is-Money]. Not that it necessarily affected the game, but the principle of the thing was troublesome: After paying $60 for the game, the idea that EA was trying to squeeze even more money out of its audience just didn't sit right.

Yet speaking at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media and Telecom Conference last week, EA's Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen made it clear [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122396-EA-Asserts-Customers-Enjoy-Microtransactions] that microtransactions are the future. "We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way; to get to a higher level, to buy a new character; to buy a truck or gun or whatever it might be," Jorgensen said. "And consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business."

That, too, went over about as well as you'd expect - torches and pitchforks and all that sort of thing. But now it turns out that Jorgensen wasn't quite as clear about things as he'd seemed, or perhaps he had a moment of clarity of his own and realized that not everyone is as enamored with microtransactions as he is. Whatever the case, he said at the 2013 Wedbush Transformational Technology Conference this week that he'd misspoken.

"I made a statement in the conference along the lines of 'We'll have microtransactions in our games,' and the community read that to be 'all games,' and that's really not true," he said. "All of our mobile games will have microtransactions in them, because almost all of our mobile games are going to a world where its play-for-free."

PC and console games, on the other hand, will feature "extensions... which are simply not microtransactions," he explained. He described those extensions as premium services or add-ons "that allows someone to take a game that they might have played for a thousand hours, and play it for two thousand hours. We want to ensure that consumers are getting value."

"The real core microtransaction component of our business is in the mobile part of the business, which is the free-to-play business," he added.

Microtransactions are a standard feature of mobile games these days, so the fact that EA will be including them in all its future mobile releases is hardly a revelation, and like it or not, it is a successful business model. Whether Jorgensen backtracked because he honestly misspoke or because the internet set off a ragebomb in his face is hard to say, but either way, microtransactions - and yes, even in mainstream, triple-A releases - aren't going away.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/187939/EA_backtracks_on_microtransactions_in_all_future_games.php#.UTd6mFfuq8H]

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
I feel like this clarification may be directly related to negative backlash from consumers. You can't go to any gaming site anymore without some bashing EA.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Another day, another PR screw up by EA.

Do these guys have a quota to meet or what?

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
Dear EA:

STOP DIGGING. THE HOLE IS DEEP ENOUGH.

Love,

Everybody

Also, I love the part where he says "We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way;" and then goes on to say "I made a statement in the conference along the lines of 'We'll have microtransactions in our games,' and the community read that to be 'all games,' and that's really not true."

Actually, dear, you did in fact say all of your games. So the community didn't misinterpret you, you misspoke.

PUT THE SHOVEL DOWN.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
so all mobile games will have them? well as i dont play any mobile games and from what i hear thats the standard business model all i can say is meh

however he didnt say that all 'proper' games (my words tbh) wont have them. and by "extensions" what does he mean? actual DLC/Expansions or slightly larger chunks of MTs?

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
I find it funny how he comes out with this AFTER it's confirmed Dead Space 3 bombed.

DAMAGE CONTROL DAMAGE CONTROL DAMAGE CONTROL!

Good luck to them, they're gonna need it.

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
EA's incompetence is only matched by its evilness. At least Activision is content to release yearly Call of Duty sequels and stay in their little niche. EA somehow manages to fuck up everything they touch.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
"Of course, microtransactions won't be built into all of our games. In some cases, you can only get them by first buying the microtransaction-access DLC."

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
"We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way; to get to a higher level, to buy a new character; to buy a truck or gun or whatever it might be," Jorgensen said. "And consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business."
I have a clean record on the escapist and at the risk of ruining that record I'm going to say this anyway. This man can shove a dragon dildo so far up his own arse I hope he can taste it.

Sell me hats or minipets or pretty dresses or whatever cosmetic items you want to in the form of MTs if I didn't pay you full price for your game. But fuck you for even a second if you expect me to pay you for power in a game that I paid any money up front for. Especially if it's a MP game. And all of your games have MP, EA.

A statement like this really grills me. It's like he has zero respect for his own customers and claiming that we like this is honest proof he doesn't give a shit enough to even look at what people are saying about it.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Eppy (Bored) said:
Actually, dear, you did in fact say all of your games. So the community didn't misinterpret you, you misspoke.
After Dead Space 3 and the new SimCity, I'm not inclined to even give him that much slack.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I dunno about you guys but I've stopped with the torch and pitchfork.

Now I just have a flaming pitchfork. It's more efficient.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
MrMan999 said:
EA's incompetence is only matched by its evilness. At least Activision is content to release yearly Call of Duty sequels and stay in their little niche. EA somehow manages to fuck up everything they touch.
I find it hard to hate activision because these days it never really does anything wrong, or insults customers or whatever. It just kinda sits their printing money for itself, which I can't fault it for really. When the COD sales slow down they might throw some of their giant money pile at a new engine or something.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
So, when you said "all games" you didn't actually mean "all games"... I see...

Although, there is an alternative way to interpret this; that EA will only publish mobile games from now on. 'S alright with me. Easier to ignore them that way.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Oh, extensions! Well why didn't you just say so Jorgensen? "Extensions" is obviously totally different from microtransactions. I mean any idiot can tell that from the fact that the spelling is completely different.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
See, Cliffy-B? This is the shit you're defending? And EA still isn't the bad guy?!

And EA, please stop shoveling. You've already buried yourself alive.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Eppy (Bored) said:
Dear EA:

STOP DIGGING. THE HOLE IS DEEP ENOUGH.

Love,

Everybody

Also, I love the part where he says "We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way;" and then goes on to say "I made a statement in the conference along the lines of 'We'll have microtransactions in our games,' and the community read that to be 'all games,' and that's really not true."

PUT THE SHOVEL DOWN.
Pretty much what I was about to write. For fuck's sake, you'd think they would learn how to not sound like gibbering idiots during at least one meeting with the press. I mean with how much dissent they get from gamers you'd think they would have learned something about what we do and don't like to hear. I think it would be difficult to claim that EA makes more mistakes and bad choices than any other publisher, but I think it's safe to say they have the longest running streak of saying horrendously stupid things to the press in the history of game publishers. I mean, who the fuck is writing their press statements? The same person responsible for proofreading George W. Bush's teleprompter?

Rachmaninov

Aug 18, 2009
I'd like to point something out here.

It's not boycotting which has caused him to say this. It's not even poor sales.

It was whining. EA mentioned microtransactions in Dead Space 3, and people whined. EA took notice of that whining, saying "Consumers love microtransactions!" and then people whined louder. Then, he feels the need to come and speak again.

Sure, he didn't say anything of any merit. But he spoke. That means he heard the whining. And that means whining works as a method of communicating with these guys, as Jim Sterling mentioned here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6187-Why-Boycotts-Fail-Where-Whining-Tantrums-Win].

Whining gives EA bad press, and to avoid bad press, they respond. Boycotts only create low sales, and if you want to find out how EA responds to low sales, you only need to look at the studios that EA have closed.

But whining gets us heard.