Snake's Voice Actor Might Not Return for Ground Zeroes

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Snake's Voice Actor Might Not Return for Ground Zeroes

The gravel-voiced icon is wondering if it'd be cool if he sat this one out.

The Metal Gear series has spanned more than a decade of tactical espionage action, persisting through multiple console generations, a handful of portable releases, and even taking a break to beat up Nintendo's top mascots. Still, ever since that fateful mission to Shadow Moses, there's been one constant: David Hayter, the voice actor behind Snake and his iconic growl. A revealing tweet from the actor has indicated that we may be reaching the end of that era: Hayter polled his followers to see how they'd feel if he didn't reprise his role as Snake in the upcoming Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.

Hayter tagged series mastermind Hideo Kojima and Konami's official Twitter account in an "Informal Poll:"

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/307920914811588608]

Six hours later, he announced the results of his impromptu survey: of the 303 people who responded, 64% would be somewhat upset, 24% wouldn't buy a game without his familiar pipes, and 12% wouldn't mind if he didn't make an appearance (Hayter remarked that that last group was dead to him). It's a pretty resounding cry for his continued performance, but then again, this was a survey conducted solely on followers of David Hayter's Twitter, so it's not exactly unbiased.

The tweet could mean any number of things - Konami may be looking to replace Hayter, or he might be getting tired of the series, or maybe the guy's just curious. Details on Ground Zeroes aren't solid enough to say whether the game could get away with swapping out its lead voice actor, but it would make for a strange Metal Gear without Hayter there to inquisitively repeat every plot-relevant term he hears.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/307920914811588608]

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I would rather Hayter continue to play Snake until either he dies, or someone rapes his throat so he can't do the voice. But on the other hand, if Hayter were to be replaced, I think the developers would either try and find someone who sounds extremely similar, or just as good....and I'm kind of interested to see how that would go.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
(Dons tinfoil hat) I wonder if that poll was perhaps an attempt by Hayter to negotiate more money for voicing snake? Could be trying to tell Kojima that he is very popular and that loyal fans might be annoyed if snake didn't have his signature voice.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I'm just imagining Skwisgaar Skwigelf doing the voices with the whole "Ground Zeroes" thing. Between this and Revengeance, has Kojima been on some kind of Metalocalypse trip?

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Its hard to imagine anyone else doing Snake to be quite honest.
I mean I wouldn't hold it against the game if he decided to call it quits, but I would be a little sad about it all the same.

Now if they actually fired him or whatever, then yeah, I'd be kind of pissed off about that.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
David Hayter! You would break my heart if you didn't voice for Snake in Ground Zeroes... although I'm pretty sure Big Boss looked old as hell in the trailer I've seen. So if they replaced him with, say, Richard Doyle (who voiced for Big Boss in MGS4), I wouldn't be offended. It would keep in line with the voice continuity that we all know.

But if we're talking a younger Naked Snake, Hayter should definitely return. It'd be weird for this guy, who's famous for voicing Snake, to not voice for him after all this time. I might even go as far as to say I might not play it. =X

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Take away David Hayter and you take away away the very essence of Snake. David Hayter is Snake, they are one and the same now. Plus if they did replace Hayter, if Snake's voice even sounds slightly different I imagine the fan backlash would be 10 times worse than the MGS2 "hey you get to play as this whiny "man" in a wig for the rest of the game" backlash.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Isn't the main character supposed to be Big Boss anyway?
TheBadGamer said:
David Hayter is also the voice actor for Big Boss aka Naked Snake.
Well that didn't take long, maybe they could get Christian Bale to do the voice instead?
They want gravelly and manly not throat cancer. We need to understand what Snake is saying.
[sub]Snake would totally kick Batmans ass[/sub]

OT: I can't help but think that maybe the company wanted to use someone cheaper or something and he's using this as a publicity stunt to get them to pay him more moneys?

And I'd probably play it but feel something was absent, by now Hayter IS Snake...

Brainwreck

Dec 2, 2012
They should just get Logan Cunningham to voice literally every single character in the game.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Sheo_Dagana said:
David Hayter! You would break my heart if you didn't voice for Snake in Ground Zeroes... although I'm pretty sure Big Boss looked old as hell in the trailer I've seen. So if they replaced him with, say, Richard Doyle (who voiced for Big Boss in MGS4), I wouldn't be offended. It would keep in line with the voice continuity that we all know.
That was exactly my thought as well. Big Boss/Naked Snake seems to be getting older in this game. Maybe they want to go for some kind of transition thing where his voice becomes more like Richard Doyle's performance in MGS4. Would be interesting.

If they got anyone other than David Hayter or Richard Doyle to do it, though, it would just be all kinds of fucked up.

SkarKrow said:
They want gravelly and manly not throat cancer. We need to understand what Snake is saying.
[sub]Snake would totally kick Batmans ass[/sub]
Yeah, no Christian Bale please.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
David Hayter is the voice of the goodguy Snakes, that's not going to change anytime soon. If it did, I'd be done with the series, perhaps a bit petty but it's still true.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Cognimancer said:
(Hayter remarked that that last group was dead to him).
This made me laugh.
Hayter seems like a pretty cool guy. For those who don't know, he willingly took a pay cut for the MGS1 remake so they could hire the majority of the original voice actor crew. How cool is that, seriously?