Zeno Clash II Shows Off Some Moves

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Zeno Clash II Shows Off Some Moves

The first gameplay trailer for Zeno Clash II makes it look possibly even weirder than the original.

Remember Zeno Clash? It was a bizarre first-person brawler set in a very strange, primitive fantasy world. It was not without flaws, but John Funk described it in his review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6010-Review-Zeno-Clash] as "fun and viscerally satisfying... with intense and chaotic brawls." He also pointed out that it was very short and lacking in polish, but it was a $20 indie game too, so allowances have to be made.

The hope is that things will be better for the upcoming Zeno Clash II, which will feature a fully-explorable open world packed with all sorts of new sights, creatures and weapons, plus most of the characters and enemies from the original. And even more weirdness, from the look of it, which is also good news, because you never know when some some publisher-type in a fancy suit is going to get all uptight about laying down a belly-to-back piledriver on a giant anthropomorphic chicken.

You can find out more about Zeno Clash II at - surprise! - zenoclash2.com [http://www.zenoclash2.com/]. Look for it to come out this spring on Steam, Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Store.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I am so excited about this, I'm glad it's coming as soon as this spring. The first one was so surreal...if a dev is willing to take chances and think as if there never was a box, I'm willing to overlook a lot of flaws. The world is very lacking in first-person punching games.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
*spits out hot tea at closest person*

The hell the first was popular enough to get a sequel, that... that is surprising. Not sure to be happy or not about this, hopefully it won't loose any of the personality the first game had.

LiMaSaRe

Mar 6, 2012
Color me stoked. Adding open world exploration to that fantastic landscape is the best change to Zeno Clash I can imagine.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Woo! Looking forward to this, loved the first one. Also, good to see Golem return. He was an interesting character (and the segment before him where you have to free him was very good); well, most of them were.
That said, it looks like this will basically be the same; I don't see too much new in the trailer: Some new enemies, new weapons, that's just fine by me. The only really new thing I saw was the ability to charm enemies and other magic spells, which could be interesting; that and their promise of an open world, of course, which could make or break the new title.
Overall, I mostly loved the gameplay - the melee fighting was really satisfying; the guns were kind of lackluster, but then I think they were supposed to be, and the shadow crystal parts were an awesome way to shake things up with a very different enemy type - and I really adored the setting and background story. Not to mention those crazy people in the woods were nicely disturbing (mostly through the narration of the main character).
I hope they won't mess it up. Also, I'd hope they wouldn't go Steam-exclusive this time around.

Bob_Marley42

Apr 8, 2009
LiMaSaRe said:
Color me stoked. Adding open world exploration to that fantastic landscape is the best change to Zeno Clash I can imagine.
I very much doubt it will, ACE team is still the bunch whimsical lunatics that made the first one (at least if Rock of Ages is anything to go by...)

Looking forward to this, I enjoyed the visceral, meaty melee combat of the first game as well the unusual aesthetics and odd characters (I hope this one still has exploding squirrels!).

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
There's something about the aesthetic of Zeno Clash that I just find endlessly satisfying...