Telltale Plans to Release The Walking Dead Season Two This Year

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Telltale Plans to Release The Walking Dead Season Two This Year

Get ready for another zombie-fueled emotional roller coaster in fall 2013.

Telltale Games' The Walking Dead has been a highly successful venture; its depiction of how everyday people struggle in a world infested with zombies has earned it several awards and nominations. We've already learned that a second season [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118317-TellTale-Games-Planning-The-Walking-Dead-Season-Two] of episodic content was on the horizon well before the first season was even finished, but now there's an end date in sight: season two of The Walking Dead is planned for a fall 2013 release.

Telltale CEO Dan Connors originally stated that the company was "aiming for fall of next year" for its release, but Game Informer clarified the date by obtaining the following comment: "The current estimated release window for Season Two of The Walking Dead is for fall of 'this' year (2013), and not 'next' year (2014) as has been reported after a recent interview. We apologize for any confusion and thank you and all of our fans for your continued excitement for Telltale's series."

In the meantime, fans of the series can eventually look forward to some additional Walking Dead content [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122361-Telltale-Is-Bringing-More-Walking-Dead-Before-Season-2] in the interim, according to story consultant Gary Whitta. He recently said that "there may very well be more Walking Dead from Telltale before season two", although he kept quiet on what that content would actually be.

The game is still enjoying the fruits of a successful release, recently picking up a couple of BAFTA awards [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122527-Dishonored-Wins-Best-Game-at-BAFTAs] in the Story and Mobile & Handheld categories.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/03/06/telltale-s-the-walking-dead-season-two-on-track-for-release-this-fall.aspx]

Dec 14, 2009

If you told me at the beginning of last year that my most anticipated game series of 2013 and my GOTY for 2012 was a zombie title, I would have called you crazy :D

[HEADING=1]All aboard the hype train baby, woo woo![/HEADING]

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Eh, maybe I'm pessimistic but seems a bit too soon for me. I'm not sure if they can keep the same level of quality.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

But then again, also

I'm not sure if I can handle everything that Telltale can throw at us, so quickly after Season 1.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Sweet, I'm hoping it'll take place some years in the future, with a grown up Clementine as the player character. I doubt that will ever happen though.

Dec 14, 2009
Wenseph said:
Sweet, I'm hoping it'll take place some years in the future, with a grown up Clementine as the player character. I doubt that will ever happen though.
I dunno, I don't think Clem should be controlled by the player, and as far as I know, the furthest the series has gotten so far is 2 years after the outbreak, so I think a grown up Clem is out of the question timeline wise.

I think Clem should be continuously influenced by the player, so we see how Lee affected her growth as a person in the next game and so on and so on.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
I just hope that's enough development time. One of the reasons the Walking Dead caught fire was because nobody expected anything from it, I'm just worried that expectations are going to be too high. But enough cynicism, I'm ready to cry my eyes out Telltale!

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
This is all very well and good but when are we going to see more Monkey Island? I love the Walking dead as much as the next guy but it can really make you depressed and the same go's for alot of games at the moment. Everything seems to end with heros being killed or failing or winning but lossing something/someone important and while these ending have their place I want something that is fun and that ends on a happy note which = Monkey Island.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Please please make sure that it works properly on consoles and that there's no save issues on any platform...

OT: I feel like it's too soon for another rollercoaster of emotions... We need time to recover.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
This just episode one or the whole thing? And hopefully this time they won't kill off everyone I like half way through the season. And make the choices actually matter or make a difference.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
OniaPL said:
Eh, maybe I'm pessimistic but seems a bit too soon for me. I'm not sure if they can keep the same level of quality.
Agreed. I think the first season has already set an unreachable standard, and I don't expect the writers will be able to reproduce a story anywhere near as personal or captivating whilst within the same old setting. The sequel will probably be, at best, a nice try.

To use a somewhat vague comparison, COD4 contains excellent twists on what was, at the time, the stagnant, insipid FPS. But what happened was that we immediately got wise to wham moments and dead protagonists from that point after, and most other shooters couldn't even use the same story techniques without boring and annoying the audience. Basically, it only works once, and yet writers are always tempted to think "well if they liked it the first time, they just want the same thing again!"

For Walking Dead to have a similar emotional impact, its going to have to do something completely different, right down to the tone and atmosphere. That probably means having a lighter situation, and a vastly different central relationship between characters. I suspect that might mean... a bromance! (or more likely, the female equivalent).

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm kinda nervous about this. The first "season" ended so gash darn perfect, and the relationship between Lee and Clementine was so unique and well done, I can't imagine them replicating that.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Heh, sounds like someone was talking fiscal years and not calendar years.

When did they start this, and how much can they reuse from the last one? Assuming no major engine changes, it doesn't necessarily need a long time in development; a great story can be pumped out in a few months, and I bet they can reuse some graphics. The major factor in development time and money here is going to be new locations.

Then again, maybe an updated engine will be less buggy. I'd put up with a delay for that.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. I wasn't a bot a hundred posts ago, I wasn't a bot on my post immediately before this one in a different thread, and I'm not one now. I don't mind ads, which these captchas clearly are, but it seems a bit misleading to say that they're primarily for preventing bots; were that really the case, they'd only be required for the first 5-10 posts.

Dec 14, 2009
GamerMage said:
Daystar Clarion said:

If you told me at the beginning of last year that my most anticipated game series of 2013 and my GOTY for 2012 was a zombie title, I would have called you crazy :D

[HEADING=1]All aboard the hype train baby, woo woo![/HEADING]
I don't know,Clarion. With something that effectively almost put me to the point where my thoughts on ever trying watching the TV show Vs the story in the games is like my opinion on the Iron Man movies, (I personally like the movie version of Stark better. The less of an A-hole,more likeable version of Stark in the movies better. At least he looks like a guy who wouldn't be a mindless puppet of the government, and says he's doing this for their own good,when he's just following orders! [looks at Civil War] I....Hate....You.... How is it that Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 did this storyline so much better? I'm sorry,I went on a bit of a tangent there.)this has a good deal to live up to.
I have no clue what you just said.

No, really.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
GamerMage said:
I don't know,Clarion. With something that effectively almost put me to the point where my thoughts on ever trying watching the TV show Vs the story in the games is like my opinion on the Iron Man movies, (I personally like the movie version of Stark better. The less of an A-hole,more likeable version of Stark in the movies better. At least he looks like a guy who wouldn't be a mindless puppet of the government, and says he's doing this for their own good,when he's just following orders! [looks at Civil War] I....Hate....You.... How is it that Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 did this storyline so much better? I'm sorry,I went on a bit of a tangent there.)this has a good deal to live up to.
I have no clue what you just said.

No, really.
Removing the bizarre tangent, this post reads:
I don't know,Clarion. With something that effectively almost put me to the point where my thoughts on ever trying watching the TV show Vs the story in the games is like my opinion on the Iron Man movies, [...] this has a good deal to live up to.
My best attempt at a translation: "The first TWD game is better than the show, like how Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 was better than the Iron Man movies. It's gonna be tough for the sequel to live up to that."

I'm not really sure what it has to do with the post of yours he was quoting, though.

P.S. Thanks

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I hope it'll have the option to invert the Y-axis of the camera. I just started playing episode 1 and that's my main gripe with it so far.