Maxis Adding More SimCity Servers Over Next Two Days

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Maxis Adding More SimCity Servers Over Next Two Days

While you were waiting to play SimCity, other mayors have started over 18 million fires.

EA's long-awaited SimCity reboot launched for PCs earlier this week, and in an unexpected twist, the always-on requirement has resulted in some complications. Technical issues are causing players to encounter bugs, and many are unable to access the game at all. SimCity developer Maxis is well aware of the problems, and according to a forum post, will be adding more servers today and tomorrow that it hopes will fix some of the game's issues.

Additionally, the developer is "paying close attention to all the bug reports," with several game updates already live and more to come. "Our live ops team is working 24/7 to resolve issues and ensure that bug fixes roll into the game as quickly as possible."

Though many players haven't been able to build the cities of their dreams yet, people are playing the game: a Maxis community manager shared some stats about SimCity's first day after launch. "In a single 24 hour period, there were more than 38 million buildings plopped down, nearly 7 and a half million kilometers of roads laid down, 18+ million fires started, and (my favorite fact) over 40 million pipes filled up with poop." Of course, that probably won't comfort the paying customers who have been waiting since midnight on March 5 to fill their own pipes with poop, to no avail.

Maxis thanked fans for their support and understanding, requesting continued patience as the issues get worked out. Hopefully the new servers and bug fixes will result in a smoother SimCity experience so the legions of would-be mayors can get to work.

Source: EA forums [http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9340500.page]

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Should of maybe done that before ya know... the games release. Just saying.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
<obligatory comment about always-online requirement in a singleplayer game>

<expression of relief that I didn't buy it>

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
How long until Maxis get shut down and everyone is fired? A lollipop says two months, maybe three.

It also seems kind of stupid to have not thought that your game, that requires all players to be online all the time, might need some servers. Why didn't they over compensate and put up a metric fuckton of servers so that the launch would be super awesome and everyone would get to play, then reducing the servers if needed. Either they don't think ahead or the game is immensely more popular than they ever could have considered, which is possible since most complaints aren't so much the game as access to it.

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
About 2 million of those fires were in my first city... It doesn't play quite like it did in simcity 4, as I found out the hard way

Vetta E-dom

Mar 10, 2012
CriticalMiss said:
How long until Maxis get shut down and everyone is fired? A lollipop says two months, maybe three.
Why is it that "gamers" want studios to close I just cant comprehend it. Those are people you know, like with families, kids, etc

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
synobal said:
Should of maybe done that before ya know... the games release. Just saying.
Hey, they didn't start the fire.
They did actually. They knew this was going to happen. They knew it since Diablo 3 came out. They fucked up royally and all they can say is "thanks for your continued support".

Personally I would like them to get the people out there that decided to not have enough servers up at launch to be publicly available for derision and vitriol. They should fucking have their job dangling from a string in front of them right now.

"Our fans are our number 1 priority" my backside.

Velinath

Apr 1, 2010
It just sounds like Error 37, version 2.0. How could they have not seen this coming? Yeesh.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Gabe Yaden said:
CriticalMiss said:
Why is it that "gamers" want studios to close I just cant comprehend it. Those are people you know, like with families, kids, etc
Its not that they want the studio to close down, its more a case of because of EA's poor mismanagement of the launch and trying to strong arm the IP into a platform to monetise further down the line, the game will not reach its estimated sales and thus EA will blame Maxis and close the studio (see Dead Space 3 and Visceral Studios).

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
Money-grubbing EA says "Servers cost money! We won't get Diabloed. Let's wait and see. Only if the shit hit the fan will we do something. After several days."

The rest is history...

Apr 28, 2008
I know how to fix this problem! Don't make it require an internet connection.

Also, I have a question EA. After 18 years I can still play SimCity 2000 [http://www.gog.com/gamecard/simcity_2000_special_edition]. Will I be able to play this game in 18 years if I choose to?

My guess is no, since you'll have shut down the servers by then because it's not profitable to keep them up anymore.

RooksEye

Mar 17, 2009
Gabe Yaden said:
CriticalMiss said:
I think they meant EA's tradition of closing down studios who don't sell umpteen million copies of a game.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Gabe Yaden said:
CriticalMiss said:
Who said anything about 'wanting' a studio to close? This is about how long it will take before EA shut down the studio for not making a game that has 10/10 scores and didn't sell 7 billion copies on day 1, or whatever unrealistic goals they have set for this title.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
So much rage at MAXIS and EA.

TOO MUCH BULLSHIT >..<

Well anyways, I am finished with EA's BS, Simcity will be my last EA purchase.

Vetta E-dom

Mar 10, 2012
CriticalMiss said:
Gabe Yaden said:
CriticalMiss said:
Who said anything about 'wanting' a studio to close? This is about how long it will take before EA shut down the studio for not making a game that has 10/10 scores and didn't sell 7 billion copies on day 1, or whatever unrealistic goals they have set for this title.
This is a Maxis game were talking about right..... Did no one think there would be addons or "stuff" packs.. I doubt EA's exec is sitting there waiting for the moment it gets to close said studio, with a grin on its face.