Ubisoft Wants a Wii U Price Cut

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Ubisoft Wants a Wii U Price Cut

Alain Corre, Ubisoft's executive director for EMEA territories, is "optimistic" about the Wii U but thinks a price cut would result in more game sales.

More than three months after its launch, it's safe to say that Nintendo's Wii U console Edge [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122149-NPD-Numbers-for-January-Xbox-360-Up-Wii-U-Down]'s question about whether he'd like to see a price cut, Corre responded, "Always."

"We always want the hardware to be at a low price because we want as many fans as possible to afford to buy our games, so that's for sure," Corre elaborated. Ubisoft has been one of the most prominent third-party publishers on the console, with ZombiU, Rabbids Land, and Just Dance 4 among its Wii U launch games. Delayed platformer Rayman Legends was supposed to be a Wii U exclusive, but Ubisoft recently incensed fans (delaying the game in order to go multiplatform [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122077-Rayman-Creator-Joins-Legends-Protest].

This doesn't mean Ubisoft is giving up on the Wii U, though. "We think that Wii U will find its public at some point," Coree said. "Some were expecting sales to be quicker but we are optimistic." Nintendo currently has no plans [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121806-Nintendo-Rules-Out-Wii-U-Price-Cut] to cut the price of its hardware.

Source: Polygon [http://www.edge-online.com/news/ubisoft-exec-wants-a-wii-u-price-cut/]

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Jove said:
A price cut AND some new good games from the system would help...a lot.

Although I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't announced a new Super Smash Bros game yet. We all know that game is basically THE console seller (let's be real, you're not going to get people to buy your system with freaking Zombie U or Mario #342536).
They announced a new smash bros game over a year ago.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Why is it nintendo never release great games when they release a new system? Look at the wii, new zelda took forever to come out.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Jove said:
SkarKrow said:
Jove said:

Although I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't announced a new Super Smash Bros game yet. We all know that game is basically THE console seller (let's be real, you're not going to get people to buy your system with freaking Zombie U or Mario #342536).
They did? Where's the trailers? Any links to this? This is news to me :(.
It's for Wii U and 3DS being co-devved with Namco, got no trailers or anything yet though. They can take their time with it though, I'd rater they did that than rushed it. The director guy (name escapse me) has some bad RSI going on so it's hampering it a bit.

I do have a Wii U and Mario Bros U is a damn good game but there's fuck all else going for the system until Lego City later this month sadly. Then a nice big gap until Pikmin 3 and apparently a b unch of stuff in the autumn (Wind Waker HD, SMT x FE, Untitled 3D mario title, etc).

Oh and MH3U but I don't care much for it...

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Jove said:
SkarKrow said:
Jove said:

No trailers, just said they were working on it, and they're partnering with Namco Bandai for the game. Reports have been saying they'll probably have something to show at E3.

However, there have been complications.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/02/masahiro_sakurais_arm_injury_impacts_his_work_on_smash_bros

As for the price drop, there will always be a price cut. The issue is when. I'd take the safe bet that it'd happen either during the summer or right before the holidays. Possibly right before the PS4 launch.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Mr. Omega said:
Jove said:
SkarKrow said:
Jove said:

No trailers, just said they were working on it, and they're partnering with Namco Bandai for the game. Reports have been saying they'll probably have something to show at E3.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/02/masahiro_sakurais_arm_injury_impacts_his_work_on_smash_bros

As for the price drop, there will always be a price cut. The issue is when. I'd take the safe bet that it'd happen either during the summer or right before the holidays. Possibly right before the PS4 launch.
Price cut right before launch of the competitors systems and some kind of ambassador thing liekw ith the 3DS I'll predict. I think they must have a tonne of stuff lined up for E3 this year, they're gonna need it!

Merlark

Dec 18, 2003
Without worthwhile exclusives flipping over from the wii to the wii U is not very enticing for me yet. A price cut would help things. 350 bucks for the good version of the console that's no better graphically then an Xbox seems a little steep.

Probably upgrade eventually, but the price point has prevented me from just impulse buying and waiting for a title I'd enjoy.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
Or, you know, Ubisoft could lower the price of THEIR GAMES, which would make them more likely to be bought. Also, if you made some more games for it as well. I mean, the more games you make for it, the more likely someone will buy it and buy your game.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
Seeing articles like this that talk about how critical a price cut is needed makes me wonder if there's more of a growing disparity between what it takes to cover the cost of making hardware vs what we can afford. Like I wonder if we're hitting a price plateau.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Ubisoft wants to cut the prices of their games on the WiiU? Excellent idea!

Oh, wait, you want Nintendo to drop the price of the console itself. Jeez, at least give Nintendo some time to retool and strategize. Everyone had the decency to wait at least two years before asking Sony to do the same thing [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/210736/developers-call-for-ps3-price-cut/].

Get your head out of the clouds, Ubisoft. The WiiU isn't just another Gamecube [http://kotaku.com/205086/miyamoto-on-the-wii-the-hardware-is-basically-a-gc?tag=gamingshiggy]. Nintendo is already taking a loss with every WiiU sold. I wonder if they'll sacrifice even more profits for marketshare.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
You know what would have helped Wii U sales Ubisoft?

If you hadn't kicked Rayman Legends from a totally quiet period where people are looking for new games to play, into the single busiest period in the gaming calendar!
Ouch! Well said, sir. I totally forgot about that fiasco.

EvilChameleon

Oct 18, 2010
I truly believe that sales of the Wii U will pick up in the Spring of this year. By the Fall, sales will be quadrupled.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Maybe sales would be a little better if there were games for the console? Maybe such as... I don't know... Rayman Legends?

Yeah, price cuts are good, but the utter lack of games is probably a deal breaker for potential customers regardless of price.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Mr. Omega said:
Jove said:
SkarKrow said:
Jove said:

They officially announced that Smash Bros will be shown at this years E3 in the form of "screens", now this may mean a full on trailer or just a few screenshots. It will be shown though.

OT: If they do do a price cut I hope they do another ambassador program sort of thing. Still, Ubisoft is being pretty damn stupid by asking Nintendo for a price cut because the console isn't selling well, after pushing back the thing that might have made the console sell well. Hypocrites, I tells ya!

FizzyIzze said:
Nintendo is already taking a loss with every WiiU sold. I wonder if they'll sacrifice even more profits for marketshare.
Actually, Nintendo makes a profit on the Wii U if the user buys just one game (this does include the Nintendoland pack-in, I think), so Nintendo are only making losses with people who buy it and... look at the home screen. So when stuff like Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Zelda comes out they definitely won't be making losses.