NPD Reports Gamers Spending Less and Buying New

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
NPD Reports Gamers Spending Less and Buying New

A report released by the NPD Group says that gamers are spending more money on new games than on used.

The NPD Group has released a report detailing the results of a survey conducted to determine emerging consumer trends among core gamers. The survey asked respondents to answer questions regarding how much they had spent on videogames in Q4 2012, and how they had spent it. The answers point to a growing digital marketplace, healthy used games sales, and robust amounts of money being spent on new, physical games.

The survey, which involved more than 6,000 participants ages nine and older, indicated that 88 percent of core gamers polled had bought games new. Only 70 percent said they bought games digitally, with 78 percent reporting they'd spent money on used games. While the gulf between each purchase option isn't earth-shaking, there are significant differences in how much core gamers actually spent in each area.

Respondents spent, on average, about $129 on new games in Q4. Comparatively, gamers spent only half as much on digital and used games. While there are some ways to explain this difference, lower prices and a holiday season packed with high-profile releases being two, it's still noteworthy that so much more was spent on new games. The gaming industry has <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116391-Used-Game-Sales-Killing-Single-Player-Titles>long been losing money to the second hand game market, with many looking for ways to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117025-Battlefield-Dev-Anti-Used-Games-Tech-Isnt-Evil-or-Stupid>curtail used game sales. This survey suggests that core gamers, at least, are still willing to spend large sums of cash on new, shrink-wrapped hard copies.

Perhaps less hopeful, however, is a rise in the number of core gamers spending less money overall. About 10 percent of respondents said they had spent less on videogames in Q4 than in previous years. These results <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121469-Retail-Game-Sales-Fall-22-Percent-in-2012>coincide with an ongoing slide in videogame sales. If this continues it could prove to be a problem for the industry which has, in the past, been able to <a href=www.gamasutra.com/view/news/21608/blogs/static/featuresubmit.html#.UTjcDVdpBCM>rely on core gamers as a steady source of income, even when more casual consumers are cutting back.

Source: NPD Group

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
You know what new games are losing money to? New games.

The industry is making gamign less and less appealing, so what do they expect?

Well, I know what they expect, but what do realistic people expect?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Devoneaux said:
Honestly i'd attribute this to a combination of digital media coming to prominence and predatory business practices on part of publishers and developers. Not so much just the one thing.
I didn't say it was one thing. I merely replied to an article that mentions both a decline in game spending and the whole "used games are killing the industry" thing.

Additionally, an overall spending decrease doesn't just impact the new game sales.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
So we can legally sale our games and others can legally buy those games from us, but they are trying to "curtail" us from doing so. What other market besides games try and stop second hand sales of something? It's reprehensible.

Apr 28, 2008
What's that? Used games aren't destroying the industry like many publishers/developers claim? HOLY CRAP!

At least the NPD has numbers to back this up. Compared to publishers/developers who have nothing to back up their claims.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Irridium said:
What's that? Used games aren't destroying the industry like many publishers/developers claim? HOLY CRAP!

At least the NPD has numbers to back this up. Compared to publishers/developers who have nothing to back up their claims.
Oddly enough, these days it seems like it is the publishers who are destroying the industry!

It is interesting to see how people are spending their money and also to see such a study with a large-ish sample size (something not in the hundreds). I'd like to see how many titles people bought new/used/digitally rather than the amount spent though. Spending £100 will get you only two new, recently released games as opposed to several old, used games or a butt load of digital games on sale.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I wonder if part of the lessened spending is cheaper prices? I was able to pick up quite a few month or two month old games at 25-50% off.

And of course there's the tons of vidya gaemz Steam sells me for like $5 each.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
Spending £100 will get you only two new, recently released games as opposed to several old, used games or a butt load of digital games on sale.
If you're buying the whole game (as in expansions and 'optional' content included), £100 won't even get you one game at the minute.

Which may be a large part of the problem, nobody has any money, so prices are going... up?

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
IMO, used games sales declined because, there hasn't been much out lately that's worth buying. Many of the game people end up buying new, and the charm wears off so quickly that by the time used games are available, very few people are looking to buy them. I'm curious to know of pre-orders contribute to this. It could explain why more people buy games new.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
StewShearer said:
A report released by the NDP Group
I'm pretty sure that's NPD Group, at least, if the emblem you posted with it means anything to the article. Do you just not bother to read the changes spell check makes?

Anyhow, the down numbers overall could easily be attributed to the ending of a console generation. Everyone is waiting to see what the next gen systems will bring with them and saving their money for the moment.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
The data could indicate that core gamers had to spend more on new releases, and then suddenly stopped buying games for a while right afterwards as if something put them off of buying games, resulting in an overall drop in spending.

I WONDER WHY.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
(Reads headline.)

(Looks at logo.)

(Reads article.)

(Looks at logo.)

You haven't been hangin' around with them Canadian leftists, now have you boy?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Irridium said:

It's more than likely game publishers will argue it's got more to do with the added restrictions with buying used copies of games i.e. additional DLC when bought new, or having to pay to go online if bought used.

Whether this is true or not is another thing.

Personally, I buy new games. This has more to do with the fact that people in Great Britain do NOT know how to take good care of their games. bashed and dirty boxes, scratched discs, crumpled manuals, do Brits out there use games as dinner plates?

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Cahin Caha said:
Unless the canadian new democrat party is announcing this, I think you spelled NPD wrong.
Just picture me doing the Simpsons collar grab thing right about now.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
Irridium said:

Oddly enough, these days it seems like it is the publishers who are destroying the industry!

It is interesting to see how people are spending their money and also to see such a study with a large-ish sample size (something not in the hundreds). I'd like to see how many titles people bought new/used/digitally rather than the amount spent though. Spending £100 will get you only two new, recently released games as opposed to several old, used games or a butt load of digital games on sale.
That's kind of what I was wondering. The amount of money they listed could have been two brand new titles + sales tax, or it could have been 12 or 13 indie games/older major studio releases on sale. That is a very significant difference, at least as important as how much money is being spent on used games.

Heck, I'd like to see how many used games they were buying for the money, for that matter.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
StewShearer said:
The survey, which involved more than 6,000 participants ages nine and older, of core gamers polled had bought games new.
So, when did a 9 year old kid screaming at you via non-disabable voice chat became the core gamer?