116: I Am Citizen SingStar

Christian McCrea

Dec 31, 1969
I Am Citizen SingStar

"For many, the PS2 is 'the SingStar machine,' especially in Europe and Australasia. Anybody who tells you it's not a real game is a liar and possibly a Communist - it just rewards bravery over everything else."

Christian McCrea explores the impact of Singstar.

johnhummel

Sep 25, 2007
Only tangentally related to the article, but I've been considering picking up SingStar for my PS3, since my daughter and I (who also play Guitar Hero together) will likely enjoy it.

So the question is: should I wait for the PS3 version, or if I go ahead and buy the PS2 version will it work on my PS3 without any problems?

Squiglish

Mar 26, 2004
I'd mock people who play SingStar...but no one can beat me at 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' or 'Life on Mars...

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
One thing that left me a bit puzzled...

"Anybody who tells you it's not a real game is a liar and possibly a Communist - it just rewards bravery over everything else."

What the hell have communists to do with that?

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Arbre said:

"Anybody who tells you it's not a real game is a liar and possibly a Communist - it just rewards bravery over everything else."

It's a joke, an Americanism. It loosely relates to McCarthyism [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism] and how people with contrary opinions could be accused of being Communists (and therefore Anti-American). Over time, it has evolved into a tongue-in-cheek way of saying that someone who disagrees with the stated opinion is inherently wrong about everything (because they're communists, and communists are 'the enemy'). Nowadays, it's just as likely to be replaced with a reference to being a terrorist.

And now you know!

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Virgil said:
Arbre said:

It's a joke, an Americanism. It loosely relates to McCarthyism [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism] and how people with contrary opinions could be accused of being Communists (and therefore Anti-American). Over time, it has evolved into a tongue-in-cheek way of saying that someone who disagrees with the stated opinion is inherently wrong about everything (because they're communists, and communists are 'the enemy'). Nowadays, it's just as likely to be replaced with a reference to being a terrorist.

And now you know!
And knowing is half the battle!

Very succinctly put. My family at one point hosted exchange students from Europe for whole school years, and questions like that happened more often than not, but I never was able to so briefly and thoroughly explain away a crazy Americanism. Bravo.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Virgil said:
Arbre said:

And now you know!
Ok. I'm more aware of Bushisms than McCarthyism. j/k :)
I knew the issues about communism the USA went through, but not being an American literally puts me out of context by default.