College Student Unveils Working Mass Effect Medi-Gel

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
College Student Unveils Working Mass Effect Medi-Gel

Veti-Gel is a functioning prototype that can instantly seal any wound.

As most of us are aware, the lives of the characters in Mass Effect aren't generally that straightforward. One aspect of their collective existence that is simple, however, is emergency medical treatment. If they're wounded by gunfire, aliens, trips, falls, vehicle crashes, you name it, they press a button and their body armor applies something called Medi-Gel to the wound to keep them going. Medi-Gel neatly cauterizes whatever ails the character and kickstarts the healing process, tiding them over until they can get to a space-hospital or what have you. And now, somebody in the real world has made a version of it that works on real flesh.

Dubbed Veti-Gel, the substance is basically, well, Mass Effect Medi-Gel. It is a synthetic version of the extracellular matrix (ECM) that holds our cells together and tells them what to do in the event of a bleeding injury, instructing them to get clotting. It also binds together with the damaged ECM cells of the patient, working with them to form a seal over the area of the wound. You can see a nauseating, blood-filled clip of the gel binding to part of a pig's liver and stopping bleeding right here [http://www.technewsdaily.com/17163-warning-blood-veti-gel-stops-bleeding-instantly-video.html] [warning: lots and lots of blood].

The minds behind Veti-Gel (which is, oddly, sometimes referred to as Medi-Gel by the people who made it) are led by one Joe Landolina, a third-year student at NYU. "I have seen [Veti-Gel] close any size of wound that it is applied to," he said. "As long as you can cover it, it can close it...it looks like, feels like, and acts like skin."

Landolina has spent the past year conducting preliminary tests of the substance on rats, and claims to have used it to heal wounds several of humanity's rodent friends. He will publish a full record of his results, and tests comparing Veti-Gel to other on-market coagulants, later this summer. In the meantime, he says he's keen to get to work testing his invention out in the field with veterinarians and their patients.

So, if the Medi-, sorry, Veti-Gel actually does work, what are we talking about here? Landolina also claims that it heals second-degree burns in two days, but since his entire body of evidence for that was a story about how his buddy got burned and then applied the gel and was healed, it would perhaps be a better idea to hold fire on that one until it's been lab-tested. But that aside, well, this could be a revolution for emergency medical treatment and a hundred other forms of treatment besides. We await your published report with keen interest, Joe Landolina. And if you could change Veti-Gel's brand-name to something like Solus [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QpU4Vg-4V0] if it makes it to market, well, that would be lovely too.

Source: Mother Nature Network [http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/stories/college-student-invents-gel-that-halts-bleeding]

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Landolina also claims that it heals second-degree burns in two days, but since his entire body of evidence for that was a story about how his buddy got burned and then applied the gel and was healed, it would perhaps be a better idea to hold fire on that one until it's been lab-tested.
But isn't that precisely HOW one tests it?
Fnar.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I just read an article about a 3D scanner for a 3D printer that could also, basically, print itself. Not to mention the jazz about laser point defense turrets on jets a while back and the beginnings of an actual tractor beam before that.

Now this on top of all that. I swear to god, all this stuff...

Loop Stricken said:
Landolina also claims that it heals second-degree burns in two days, but since his entire body of evidence for that was a story about how his buddy got burned and then applied the gel and was healed, it would perhaps be a better idea to hold fire on that one until it's been lab-tested.
Fnar.
Yeah but you don't actually prove it by telling you did it. Nor do you do it once. Or usually on your lab partner.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
Fnar.
Yeah, if you're test something like this, you're gonna need test subjects. Maybe use, like in the above description, pigs or other animals maybe, but if you're gonna test it on humans, you're gonna need willing test subjects.

But in any case...I certainly hope that this stuff is successful.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Impluse_101 said:
Loop Stricken said:
Fnar.
Yeah, if you're test something like this, you're gonna need test subjects. Maybe use, like in the above description, pigs or other animals maybe, but if you're gonna test it on humans, you're gonna need willing test subjects.

But in any case...I certainly hope that this stuff is successful.
Honestly? I'd volunteer to stick my arm under a flame if I got a tube of the stuff for free and if my testing will further the advancement of science.

How badass would it be to not only have the first samples, but also to be one of the first test subjects?

Burglar comes in and shoots me? No worries bro, I got this: Hold B to apply gel.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Halo has something very similar to medi-gel as well, it's Bio-Foam, but works in a similar way.

To be honest a lot of sci-fi stuff is bound to be invented in some form or another eventually. A lot of it is the kind of thing that can advance our lives in a very practical sense.

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
What does it say about me after seeing the "gel" my immediate reaction was, "that looks like sperm!"

Also, why does it look like they just sprayed sperm into the would and it solidified quickly?

Where'd they get that much sperm to do that?!

lol, last two statements were in jest in order to make this a non short post. Although the second one was semi serious.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Now if it could fix the bullet holes inn my skull because I forgot to bring my helmet in a chest-high-wall shooting contest,so...yeah I hope it seals all those bullet holes through my skull just like Medi-gel.

[small]Yes I'm a disturbed mind.Leave me alone![/small]

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Legion said:
Halo has something very similar to medi-gel as well, it's Bio-Foam, but works in a similar way.
Yeah, but foam is lame. I mean, it can't even stop a flaming krogan!

alimination602

Apr 14, 2009
Just make sure its not like one of Mordins concoctions or just before they try to release it they?ll suddenly remember that humans only have the two lungs or that we don?t all take kindly to massive amounts of gamma radiation.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Devoneaux said:
Proving once again, that real world science advances much faster than science fiction writers give credit for.
Except we need more than just the science to be possible. We also need investors with enough money and long-term optimism to turn isolated tests into a day to day reality.

In many ways, that part is far more of a headache than actually proving something is scientifically possible in the first place.

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
And in 2020, when that moon project lands, they find the beacon and everything goes to hell...

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
That sounds a lot like a certain lab report in "Felidae".
I hope they didn't hurt any cats...