EA Claims SimCity Problems Are "Almost Behind Us"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Claims SimCity Problems Are "Almost Behind Us"

The publisher says it has reduced SimCity crashes by 92 percent compared to launch day.

The SimCity nightmare, according to Maxis General Manager Lucy Bradshaw, may soon be over. After disabling game features, working through the weekend to upgrade server capacity and, one might think, driving away a significant portion of its audience, the game is now almost in a reliably playable state. It's not exactly a new benchmark of game development excellence, but under the circumstances I suppose we'll have to take what we can get.

Bradshaw said the team will be monitoring servers and metrics to ensure that everything is running as it should, but it will take a few more days before she can guarantee that the situation is copacetic. For now, she said, tens of thousands of new players are logging into the game, and things are looking pretty good.

"I can't begin to explain the way a development team feels when something you're proud of is threatened at launch. Our biggest fear was that people who love this franchise would be scared off by bad reviews about the connectivity issues," Bradshaw said. "But you put your faith in us. You bought the game with the understanding that we'd quickly fix the server issues. For that support - that incredible commitment from our fans -- we are deeply grateful. As the general manager of Maxis, I want you to know that we cherish your faith in us, and the love you've shown for this franchise."

I would point out that most gamers likely bought the game with the understanding that it would actually work, naively optimistic though that belief may have been. Speaking for myself, anyway, I've never laid down money for a game in the hopes that someday it might run the way it's supposed to, but I'm old and cranky and probably expect too much.

Bradshaw's latest SimCity update can be read in full at ea.com [http://www.ea.com/news/simcity-sunday-update-from-lucy-bradshaw].

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Good for them.
Next time launch a game with problems "behind you" on release day, thanks.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
I would point out that most gamers likely bought the game with the understanding that it would actually work, naively optimistic though that belief may have been.
That is almost exactly what I was going to say when I read the above quotation.

I don't think most of the people who bought it after launch were those aware of the issues it had.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
You'd think after what happened to Diablo 3, they would EXPECT this sort of problem to come up and PLAN for it? Aren't there people working there who are supposed to plan for what might go wrong? Did none of them read the news when Diablo 3 came out?

And did none of them remember the damn backlash Ubisoft for with their "Always Online DRM"? Aren't we humans supposed to LEARN from our mistakes and the mistakes of others?!

Also, people bought the game not because they thought you'd "quickly fix the server issues", they bought the game because they thought it was going to WORK. Or they thought they might be one of the lucky ones whom the glitches don't touch.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Now all the people who haven't been playing because the servers were down will come back and we'll have a whole new wave of server load issues :p

Is cheetah speed back yet?

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
I can't begin to explain the way a development team feels when something you're proud of is threatened at launch. Our biggest fear was that people who love this franchise would be scared off by bad reviews about the connectivity issues And yet you went right ahead and made it always online anyway.
0/10 would not sympathize
0/10 would not sympathize?
Doesn't that mean people do sympathize with them rather than not?

OT: Simple solution, make sure there aren't game destroying problems before launch and you don't get this problem.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Thank you EA. It's good to know that you don't want to catch game-breaking problems with your game until AFTER the game is released.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
I was checking this game out on amazon, and was amazed that out of 1,800 reviews, the game has racked up an impressive 1,600 one star reviews. Of course it is also the number 1 selling game at the moment on Amazon's top 100, so I really have no idea what to make of this. It's like some weird quantum effect where the game is simultaneously terrible and awesome.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Though my heart goes out to the rank-and-file programmers who poured their heart and soul into the project, I think it's overall a good thing that EA and Maxis got such a public drubbing over this failure of a launch. With any hope at all, it will lead to changes in the direction the industry is going. But A part of me thinks that the suits making the decisions have completely divorced themselves from reality, and only bankruptcy for EA and other major offenders will cause any change.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Comocat said:
I was checking this game out on amazon, and was amazed that out of 1,800 reviews, the game has racked up an impressive 1,600 one star reviews. Of course it is also the number 1 selling game at the moment on Amazon's top 100, so I really have no idea what to make of this. It's like some weird quantum effect where the game is simultaneously terrible and awesome.
People usually don't review unless something goes wrong. I know I don't.

Nov 28, 2007
The server problems are almost behind them, maybe. But gamers are still bitching about the ME3 ending. You really think they'll just move on from this?

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Comocat said:
No it makes perfect sense to me. All those one star reviews were by angry customers who either knew about the always on DRM or didn't do research, got shafted, and now are bitching and screaming about the broken product due to horrible business practices they just told EA they would support.

Reviews mean nothing if people still support horrible business practices regardless of warnings. I don't like the always on DRM but all those people who pre-ordered or bought it shortly after launch deserve what they got.

Customers need to start taking responsibility for supporting practices that fuck them over, instead of buying it then bitching later after the company has your $$$ and couldn't give two craps about your frustration.

Edit: i'll just leave this here as to why you shouldn't pre-order or even buy day 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5Uj4XIT1Y

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
They will be behind us once the pirates figure out a way to get it offline or EA admits to the bullshit of "server processing" being just a lie and finally releases an offline mode.