DayZ Video Shows Off Standalone's Progress

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
DayZ Video Shows Off Standalone's Progress

The DayZ team's hard at work on those empty bean cans, as this development blog demonstrates.

"We still have some way to go in performance," says the DayZ [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6276-DayZ] development team, "the initial tests of 4000 zombies spawned reduced the server FPS to 4." But testing's like that, and this edition of the DayZ development blog shows off some of the progress Bohemia's been making with its standalone zombie apocalypse game.

A couple volunteers from Reddit and the Bohemia folks went for a run through the environment, testing out loot drops, helmets, animation and other fun stuff. Before too much longer, Dean 'Rocket' Hall promises, the crafting system will even get into your beans; you'll have to combine food items with a gas cooker for the full benefit. "This is not a traditional crafting system," says Bohemia, "but one that encourages players to explore the ways in which items can be crafted." The last ten minutes or so is all about solving zombie pathfinding issues - Hall describes this as "a really big problem in the mod" - and showing off some map design ideas.

"There is a great deal more that can be covered," says Bohemia, "but we're really deeply in the thick of development at the moment and we just wanted to get something quick and dirty to all those waiting for standalone." Plus, of course, there's PAX Boston and GDC to come; the DayZ team's got a lot on its plate at the moment.

"It's one foot after another," says Bohemia, "and soon we'll be at the finish line."

Source: DayZ Dev Tumblr [http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/]

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
So trying to be more like WarZ??, Hotkey item bar, loot spawns now spawning in broken down vehicles, changeable headgear, etc.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Baldr said:
So trying to be more like WarZ??, Hotkey item bar, loot spawns now spawning in broken down vehicles, changeable headgear, etc.
I have no problem with them using one or two of the only good things about that scam as long as they stay away from the billion of horrible things that company and game does wrong. lol

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Baldr said:
Those are hardly ideas pioneered by WarZ - it's quite likely they were on the to-do list long before that even released.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Kargathia said:
Baldr said:
Those are hardly ideas pioneered by WarZ - it's quite likely they were on the to-do list long before that even released.
Long before the whole Steam event, many DayZ player complained about WarZ stealing features of DayZ, it just ironic that DayZ is taking most of the good things WarZ did better than DayZ.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Kalezian said:
Baldr said:
Kargathia said:
Baldr said:
Long before the whole Steam event, many DayZ player complained about WarZ stealing features of DayZ, it just ironic that DayZ is taking most of the good things WarZ did better than DayZ.

if you are going to use that excuse, then both games took their elements from Ultima Online.

I mean, come one, wearing hats and using different weapons, sad to see game developers have no originality.
I was just pointing on the ironic factor of Rocket posting a video showing off changes to his game, that were key features of another game after less than a year ago he was complaining about them taking features from his game.

Kyoh

Oct 12, 2010
Drop the petty bickering. Who cares where the ideas come from? It's not plagiarism. Let's just hope it's going to be a good game. That's what we all want anyway.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
HNNNNNNG! Oh god I can't wait :3

3000+ zombies with wandering hordes? OH GOD YES!

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Oh gods I can't wait for this game to come out, I had to stop playing the mod, but I still find myself missing my little campsite in the North from time to time.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Baldr said:
DayZ stand alone runs off ArmA 3, which announced plans for changeable clothing and helmats before either DayZ or WarZ existed. Their just using A3's improvements.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Baldr said:
Kalezian said:
Baldr said:
Kargathia said:
Baldr said:

if you are going to use that excuse, then both games took their elements from Ultima Online.

I mean, come one, wearing hats and using different weapons, sad to see game developers have no originality.
I was just pointing on the ironic factor of Rocket posting a video showing off changes to his game, that were key features of another game after less than a year ago he was complaining about them taking features from his game.
Key features? Please, you must not play any games at all then buddy.

Damn near EVERY PC game (where it makes sense) uses hotkey items.
OMG Loot spawning in a container! Yeah... WarZ hasn't done that exclusively either. I've played text-based games that had you looting broken down vehicles, or anything broken down for that matter.
Headgear being changeable? Big whoop. Team Fortress did it before either of them, World of Warcraft before that, EQ before that. Hell, Mega Man had his headgear changing colors, so why not just say they ripped altering headgear off him!

None of those are "key" features of any game, sorry to tell you mate. I know you got a big hardon for WarZ, shitty as its hack developers are, but don't even try to fool anyone here, much less yourself, that these features were pioneered by Hammerpoint. They weren't, and the only reason said features weren't even in DayZ is more a limitation of the game it is modding, than developer choice.
I'm only talking about DayZ and WarZ and the key features that separate them.