Angry Birds Cartoon Launches This Weekend

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Angry Birds Cartoon Launches This Weekend

Angry Birds Toons reimagines the mobile gaming icons as characters who aren't actually very angry.

Angry Birds is, to date, available on mobile platforms, consoles, T-Shirts, plushies, <a href=http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Angry-Birds-Feathered/dp/1426209967/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355282559&sr=1-1&keywords=angry%20birds&tag=vglnk-c21-20>and even National Geographic collections. Most folks in the industry would call that a mainstream success, although technically two ingredients are still missing. First of all, Angry Birds needs a feature film, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121053-Angry-Birds-Officially-Coming-to-Theaters>which Rovio Entertainment is already working on. The second thing would be <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116618-Rovio-Launches-Angry-Birds-Cartoon>an animated cartoon series to draw in new audiences, which Rovio will be launching this Saturday. On March 16, Angry Birds Toons will reintroduce mobile gaming's icons to fans young and old, even if their trademark anger seems lacking... at least until Pigs show up to take their eggs.

Viewers approaching the series to watch birds fling themselves at a Pig Fortress will probably be disasppointed. Angry Birds Toons, like other family-friendly reimaginings of toy properties, instead expands the game's setting to depict the day-to-day antics of its various characters. For that reason, we'll see Blue Birds attempting to play music and ride a skateboard, Chuck the Yellow going out for a jog, and Bomb Bird exploding when provoked (okay, so it's accurate in that respect). Naturally, the hated Pigs will have a significant role as they find increasingly creative ways to steal eggs on a weekly basis.

Even if iPhone games aren't your thing, it's hard to imagine any mobile property better suited for a cartoon than Angry Birds. The series is practically a guaranteed success based on name recognition alone, and it's likely each of Rovio's planned 52 episodes will draw in record numbers. Angry Birds Toons will air first on international broadcast television stations this Saturday, and on the US-based Comcast Xfinity channel the following day. For those who prefer to stick with mobile platforms, the cartoon will also "air" on a new Angry Birds Toons channel within the Angry Birds app.

Source: Deadline, via <a href=http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/03/11/angry-birds-cartoon-launches-next-week?abthid=513e151042928eeb21000010>IGN

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Okay, firstly, what is an International Broadcast Television Station? Is that Cartoon Network? Nick? The Hub? What?!

Secondly, this cartoon is not needed at all. I understand Rovio wants to keep making money, but they're milking Angry Birds to Death. They don't need a cartoon!

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Well, there were cartoons for both Mario and Sonic, so I shouldn't be that surprised

I'm withholding judgment until it's actually out, but color me skeptical about the quality

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
Okay, firstly, what is an International Broadcast Television Station? Is that Cartoon Network? Nick? The Hub? What?!
It's airing internationally before it's released in the US.

Specifically, Australia, Korea, India, Finland, Israel, France, Germany, Norway and Brazil will see it this Saturday.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:

Secondly, this cartoon is not needed at all. I understand Rovio wants to keep making money, but they're milking Angry Birds to Death. They don't need a cartoon!
Not an IBTS, multiple IBTS, as in: Various stations across the globe.

That said, very skeptical about it.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Never got into the games but as a guy that loves cartoons I'll give this an episode or two and see how it pans out. It can't possibly turn out as badly as previous game cartoons.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:

The cartoon is not needed? Compared to a cartoon that is needed?

I don't think you understand how business works. Look around your house. Chances are you'll find at least one thing that you bought that you don't actually need. But you wanted it and now it's there.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
Annoyed this is a thing, more annoyed that i didn't think if it and make obscene amounts of money.
Such is life.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This seems like one of those 90s cartoons based on a video game with no story so it had to pull one out of its ass. I don't see how this could be good but then again if you had told me a few years ago that there would be a my little pony cartoon I would end up loving, I would have called you a liar and kicked you down a flight of stairs. So there we are, I suppose I shouldn't judge it yet.

Demonjazz

Sexually identifies as Tiefling
Sep 13, 2008
I lost my faith in humanity... AGAIN! The first time was when a stupid game ripping off Crush he castle became even more popular than the original mainly because it was cutesy and on a Iphone. I must now commence with the killing of the human race

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
You know, as a dialogue-free five minute short, this looks pretty funny.

Though I'm guessing it'll have dialogue and be 15/30 minutes.

Overall, I don't really care. Never got into the games and I wouldn't watch it either way.

Nicole Maronn

Nov 22, 2012
It was only a matter of time before an Angry Birds cartoon was gonna be made. Honestly, while I am a casual fan of the games, I'm really glad a cartoon is coming out. Is Angry Birds being milked to death? To a point, yes. But there is some nostalgic charm watching dialog-free cartoon characters getting into mischief...now let's hope the movie isn't gonna be crap.

MacSkops

Jan 13, 2013
This actually looks like it has potential, the animation is certainly stellar. So I'll reserve judgement. I just hope they don't pull a "Tom and Jerry the movie" by making the originally silent characters talkative all of a sudden.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
If Rovio wanted to make a cartoon series, I don't understand how taking their ONE game that has less personality than a punnet of watercress to act as the springboard could possibly a good idea. They remind me of a company that has gone mad with success - and, like George Lucas, misunderstands exactly what it is that bred that success in the first place.

The animation here is fantastic. If they had decided to create original content with a bunch of endearing new characters, that would have been amazing. Unfortunately, they seem to think their Angry Birds are endearing. They seem to think they're characters.

Eh. Bust of luck to 'em, I guess.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
The pigs have always seemed a more sympathetic and likebale set of characters than the angry birds. They're inventive, smart, and productive whereas the birds just use brute force to solve all their problems.