Japanese Game Pits Wrecking Ball Against Terrorist

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Japanese Game Pits Wrecking Ball Against Terrorist

Believe it or not, this game is based on a true story - the 1972 Asama-Sanso incident, in which the Japanese police used a wrecking ball to fight terrorists.

Who would win in a fight - Japanese terrorists or a wrecking ball? This question was answered in the 1972 Asama-Sanso incident, in which a wrecking ball, known as "Monken" to the locals, was used by the Japanese police to break through the defenses of a mountain lodge taken hostage by the United Red Army revolutionary group. Not content with this story being confined to video and print, Team Grand Slam, a collaboration between multiple veteran Japanese developers, is hard at work on Monken, a game based on said wrecking ball versus terrorist antics.

"Nowadays, we can see the document film archives of this incident at any time. However, can it really tell the essence of this shocking event?" Team Grand Slam thinks no, it can't, and says that using the medium of a videogame to convey a real-life event based on fact "can be a new way to describe history." The game revolves around using Monken to hit buildings and save hostages, and threatening terrorists who appear in the windows to make them surrender.

Team Grand Slam is comprised of four highly decorated names in Japanese media, Fumio Kurokawa (SEGA, Apollon Music Industrial Corp), Kazutoshi Iida (Doshin the Giant, Evangelion the movie: 3nd Impact), Takayuki Nakamura (Virtua Fighter, Lumines music), and Ryuji Nouguchi (Chulip, Harvest Moon). Despite all being renown in their respective fields, the four have decided to tackle this as an indie project, without the backing of any parent companies.

The game will be released for PC, smartphones and tablets. The release date is still TBA, with the developers trying to get a hold of more funds to complete the full-version of the game. Team Grand Slam says that Monken will utilize a creative commons licence, which will open a lot of the game's data up for the public to tweak and modify.

Source: Monken Homepage [http://monken.jp/en/about.html]

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Wrecking Balls: A terrorist's one weakness
to be onest this looks real simplistic but then again I'm sure there would something to give it more depth

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I'm waiting for the Tibetan mod, where you get to squash down the natives!

EDIT

I confused Japan with China. My bad.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well that is a near story, but the game looks absolutely awful, I can't remember last time I played anything this bad even on free flash game sites.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Combustion Kevin said:
Nothing says "Fuck you!" like a wrecking ball.
Funny, when I was watching the video, I kpet hearing "FUCK YOUUUUUUU" when ever the wrecking ball came down on the swing.

Made me smile...

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Combustion Kevin said:
Nothing says "Fuck you!" like a wrecking ball.
Actually, if you coat the wrecking ball with napalm and then ignite it, then that would be a more satisfactory "FUCK YOU!!!" in my mind.

captcha: the cat lady. What about Susan Arendt, captcha?

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
The wrecking balls face at 39 seconds is hilarious! It's like its saying "I hate you so muuuuch".

The game looks kind of simplistic, but I'm guessing that other features are added in later levels.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Why the awful vocaloid music?
I even like most Miku stuff I hear, but this is just horrible.

maskedferret

Aug 9, 2012
William Dickbringer said:
Wrecking Balls: A terrorist's one weakness
You sir...Bravo. just bravo. I actually did a spit take and thankfully missed my computer screen, though did have to mop up the carpet.

I'm curious to see if they keep it close to the reality of what happened or not. I feel like this is such an oddball idea they could easily get caught up in it and have the final boss fight be some giant monster wrapped in the terrorist's flag.

Not that i'd have any issue with that....

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Once again we are shown evidence that violently smashing everything is the ideal solution to all forms of conflict.

The game looks kinda bad and boring though.