Former GameStop VP Gets 51 Months For Mail Fraud

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Former GameStop VP Gets 51 Months For Mail Fraud

Frank Christopher Olivera is going to spend the next half-decade in the slam for clipping GameStop to the tune of nearly two million bucks.

In early 2010, GameStop Vice President of Corporate Communications said the company would "guilty plea [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98077-GameStop-Subpoenaed-Over-Deceptive-Ads] to one count of mail fraud arising from a scam in which he bilked GameStop of nearly $2 million.

"Beginning in July 2009 and continuing to April 2011, Olivera defrauded Gamestop by submitting false and fraudulent invoices for vendor services from a fictitious company, 'Cloud Communications LLC,' which he owned and controlled," the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Texas said in a statement. "In addition to creating a fictitious company, Olivera also created a fictitious person, 'Jennifer Miller,' to serve as the point of contact at Cloud Communications. Upon receipt of payments from Gamestop, Olivera would deposit the checks into a bank account held by Cloud Communications and then would transfer the fraudulently obtained funds into his personal bank account."

The scheme netted Olivera more than $1.7 million; his guilty plea earned him 51 months in a federal slammer and an order to repay the stolen money (most of which he's already paid back) plus $77,275 in additional restitution.

The moral of the story? With razor-thin margins on new game releases, GameStop needs a thriving preowned market to survive, and infrastructure limitations and increasing download sizes means that despite its complaints, the game industry will remain reliant on a healthy retail sector for the foreseeable future. Wait, that's not right. Don't steal! Yeah, that's it. Don't steal.

Source: U.S. Department of Justice [http://www.justice.gov/usao/txn/PressRelease/2013/MAR2013/mar7olivera_frank_mail_fraud_sen.html]

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
Less than 5 years for stealing 2 million dollars?

White collar crime my friends... Where te crime vastly outweighs the punishment!

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
People who got convicted of "piracy" with no profit made were hit with more.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
R.Nevermore said:

White collar crime my friends... Where the crime vastly outweighs the punishment!
Yeah, its because there was no gun involved....... Poor black kid with a pistol stealing $300 from a gas station would get at least a decade, easy.

Side note: He went through all that just to net 1.7 million? As the VP for GameStop wasn't he already getting twice that as a paycheck?

I mean for me 1.7 million is an insane amount of money, but for him? Really?

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Enough money to pay 56 people at a reasonable 30k a year for a year. But it's hardly damaging, right? 51 months.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
R.Nevermore said:

White collar crime my friends... Where te crime vastly outweighs the punishment!
People in England will often get less time for killing somebody while driving drunk.

In comparison to that, I'd say 5 years is more than enough.

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
Legion said:
R.Nevermore said:

People in England will often get less time for killing somebody while driving drunk.

Couldn't we just agree that neither punishment is enough? Especially when compared to robbing a liquor store of a couple hundred bucks and ending in jail for the rest of your life? Or uploading music?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
R.Nevermore said:
Legion said:
R.Nevermore said:

Couldn't we just agree that neither punishment is enough? Especially when compared to robbing a liquor store of a couple hundred bucks and ending in jail for the rest of your life? Or uploading music?
Oh absolutely, there are all sorts of ridiculous punishments all over the world.

I apologise if my post before came across as aggressive.

SlamDunc

Aug 17, 2012
MorganL4 said:
Yeah, its because there was no gun involved....... Poor black kid with a pistol stealing $300 from a gas station would get at least a decade, easy.
It is the whole 'Threatening to end someone's life with a weapon.' that is the issue, not the amount of money stolen.

scienceguy8

Sep 1, 2008
In response to his seemingly light sentence, remember that when he gets out he will never be able to work in a leadership position again. Maybe day shift manager at Wal-Mart, but nothing where he can handle or misappropriate large amounts of money.