Cyberpunk 2077 Will Include Multiplayer Features

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Cyberpunk 2077 Will Include Multiplayer Features

CD Projekt RED wants to offer something beyond the single-player experience.

Cyberpunk 2077, CD Projekt RED's upcoming futuristic RPG, promises a "richly detailed, non-linear story [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117529-CD-Projekt-Red-Reveals-Cyberpunk]" based on the pen-and-paper source by Mike Pondsmith. The company is familiar with delivering branching storylines for mature audiences, but one thing that hasn't been present in CD Projekt RED's catalog of games is multiplayer features. According to managing director Adam Badowski, that's all going to change.

Badowski said in an interview that Cyberpunk 2077 will not be limited to a single-player campaign. "It will be a story-based RPG experience with amazing single-player playthroughs, but we're going to add multiplayer features," he revealed.

A job advertisement for a "Multiplayer Programmer" appeared on the company's website back in 2012, but head of marketing Michal Platkow-Gilewski dismissed rumors [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-27-witcher-dev-cd-projekt-red-explains-multiplayer-programmer-job-ad] at the time that either The Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk 2077 will feature multiplayer. "I don't want to comment on what this guy will create, it's way too early," he said last year.

Badowski didn't elaborate as to whether these proposed "multiplayer features" will take on the form of PVP or co-operative play, since ideas for the game are still being conceptualized at this stage. He did confirm, however, that it will be an open-world game and feature several character classes.

"It's the crucial moment for Cyberpunk, because we have tons of ideas and we need to have the perfect direction and we have to be in-line with the global vision of the game," Badowski said. "We need to have precise, good, well-organized strike teams for that. The guys are working together brainstorming a lot, so a smaller team is better. And then we will go out to full production speed."

CD Projekt RED's efforts are currently divided between this game and The Witcher 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122280-Witcher-3-Will-Be-2014-PS4-Release], although it appears that the studio's focus is on the latter. There's still no word on when Cyberpunk 2077 will be released, but The Witcher 3 is scheduled for 2014.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-13-cd-projekt-red-says-cyberpunk-2077-will-have-multiplayer]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Multiplayer?!

They've sold out! It's going to be a stillborn CoD-clone!

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
here's hoping the team won't suffer from featurecreep and become a jumbled mess of half-baked ideas.

probably too pessimistic, but hey.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
It would be so much fun if it was co-op and not the generic multiplayer we get from other games.

I trust CDR but this is their first foray into the multiplayer side of things.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
is too early to call anything and its not like the single player is going to be bad

but to be completely honest I do prefer it when some developers say "NO...we WONT follow trends because we believe our games doesn't NEED multiplayer"

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
So long as they sacrifice nothing from the single player, I have no issues with this. I will admit though; even hearing it does make me feel slightly dubious.

Nicoen

Nov 8, 2011
YES! I hope it will be multiplayer like Neverwinter Nights or some very good co-op. Finally a modern RPG with multiplayer.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
There better not be 'multiplayer only' content, like quests requiring more than player. That shit aint cool.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
...There goes my respect for the game...I have nothing against multi-player but when developers say that their game will feature multi-player without any context, you know it's all gone to shit.

Wtf is multiplayer features? A shoehorned feature to appeal for the masses?!? Context, context is needed. An half-arsed introduction makes it sound like a half-arsed implementation.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Not delighted about this. Multiplayer shoehorned into a game to increase marketability is never good, ofc i dont know thats the case and CD Projeckt RED has a good reputation...still though i cant feel good about it.

Also agree with the above poster, saying this without context is very poor show and tends to excite peoples worst fears

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Makes perfect sense to me given the setting and license.

My actual concern is about them not having any multiplayer experience before this.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I really don't care about the multiplayer, as long as the singleplayer is still good. I think most RPGs, unless they're MMOs can do without it though.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
When someone says they're adding "multiplayer features" and doesn't say what they are, I can only assume they mean lazily done deathmatch. If they hads something else, they'd say so.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It's sad that by this point, hearing "multiplayer features" are put into games makes people a little disappointed.