God of War: Ascension Review - Enter the Furies

Encaen

May 6, 2005
God of War: Ascension Review - Enter the Furies

Come for the flesh ripping carnage, stay for the surprisingly in-depth puzzles.

Read Full Article

K84

Feb 15, 2010
Somehow this one seems like a step down from III and the added MP does not tempt to buy this one.
I'm hoping they're gonna work on IV soon. (maybe they already are, this is to hold us warm?)

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Another GoW game I'm missing out on.

Oh well, I'll just crush the first two again. That'll satisfy my Kratos craving.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
hmm... so it's just like GOW3. I was hoping the review would go into the differences instead of repeating the basic formula to these games. Not a word on the multiplayer. Is the combat better? Is the game better or worse?

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Not a word on the multiplayer? What were the minor failings that were mentioned? Was it just the platforming? I play Mario for platforming. I just see the platforming in GoW as a simple means of traversing the set pieces and getting back in the action. Did they try something new and failed, or what? Why does this review leave me with so many questions?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've been playing it for a while now, and I'm struggling to really enjoy myself with it. There's a bunch of minor annoyances constantly buzzing around.

First off, they ruined the parry by making it a two button action which doesn't even seem to register many times. I can't exactly explain it, but I was more frustrated and annoyed during fights than that I was actually having fun. Maybe it's because they changed the grab button.

Most of the new enemy designs feel uninspired, and the new gorgons look horrendous.

Maybe I just need to get into it more, or maybe I'm simply tired of the franchise, but as for now Ascension is kind of a dud.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
This review seemed to miss all the important things that I wanted to know about. What makes it better/different than GoW 3? Is the multiplayer a worthwhile addition or simply tacked on? Is there more rapport and sympathy with Kratos as an actual character? Are there bonus skill arenas, a new game+, or any incentive to play it multiple times? Does anyone not know at this point that you get red orbs from killing enemies?

I'm really very sorry if I sound like a dick, it's just that this review didn't help my purchasing decision one iota.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
I've been playing it for a while now, and I'm struggling to really enjoy myself with it. There's a bunch of minor annoyances constantly buzzing around.

First off, they ruined the parry by making it a two button action which doesn't even seem to register many times. I can't exactly explain it, but I was more frustrated and annoyed during fights than that I was actually having fun. Maybe it's because they changed the grab button.

Most of the new enemy designs feel uninspired, and the new gorgons look horrendous.

Maybe I just need to get into it more, or maybe I'm simply tired of the franchise, but as for now Ascension is kind of a dud.
Go ahead and warn you. The hardest part is later in the game called the Trial of Archimedes and its pretty damn annoying because as you stated the parry is overly complicated and its amazing how you can only get in about 3-4 hits on strong enemies before they break your combo unless they're knocked down or in the air. Also who's bright idea wasn't to make magic unavailable until the max weapon level is achieved?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
gphjr14 said:
Casual Shinji said:

Go ahead and warn you. The hardest part is later in the game called the Trial of Archimedes and its pretty damn annoying because as you stated the parry is overly complicated and its amazing how you can only get in about 3-4 hits on strong enemies before they break your combo unless they're knocked down or in the air. Also who's bright idea wasn't to make magic unavailable until the max weapon level is achieved?
And the thing is that I actually enjoy the pacing of the game. It reminds me a lot of GoW1 when you get to Athens; Very quit and calm. It doesn't seem too prone to show off with chaos and shit going on in the background, like GoW3 did.

But the controls just feel really unintuitive. It's like all of the changes were made for the sake of change, rather then it actually improving anything. The parry being the biggest one. Holy shit, did they screw that up. The combat just doesn't feel fun, and for a God of War game that's a big problem. As many issues that I had with GoW3 the brawling was still fantastic.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Grenge Di Origin said:
Whoops, misread the title as "Enter the Furries".
I could have placed a bet on the fact that this was going to be the first comment!

I also misread it.
[small]Much disappointment...[/small]

WaitWHAT said:
Oh god! What are they even doing there? They're in their sui-What are they even doing? Oh god....

Seriously. One of my best friends is a furry, so I'm not a stranger to furry culture. But [HEADING=3]WTF?!?!?![/HEADING]
I dunno, as far as furries go that looks pretty normal to me :3

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Damn bad time for my PS3 to break :( Won't buy a new one seeing how PS4 comes by the end of the year

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
I don't have a PS3 but I've seen trailers and other videos of this game and I really love the silky-smoothness. Animations and camera movement flow beautifully, the framerate looks remarkably solid, and the motion blur is perfect. I wish more games were so competent in this regard.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I just can't bring myself assed to care about another God of War game.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm just waiting till you end up playing as the god of war from another pantheon and are going to kill Kratos. You can't argue that he doesn't need to be killed. How cool would it to be playing Sekhemet or Shiva or something and be going kill his ass.