TimeSplitters Respawns Onto PC

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
TimeSplitters Respawns Onto PC

The cult classic shooter series is finally making a comeback. And yes, there will be monkeys.

Never underestimate a dedicated fan base. After Free Radical kicked the bucket and was purchased by Crytek, it looked like there was no hope for a new entry to the much-loved TimeSplitters franchise. In spite of this, a few optimistic supporters started a petition begging for a TimeSplitters 4. And by "a few," I mean 75,000. Crytek, as the current owner of the IP, wasn't impressed enough [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118934-Crytek-There-Isnt-Enough-Interest-in-TimeSplitters-4] to justify developing a new installment, but it did the next-best thing: the company gave a team of 25 talented fans official permission to resurrect the series with a new game. This fan-directed project aims to capture the best parts of the TimeSplitters trilogy, and has been appropriately dubbed TimeSplitters Rewind.

The team was permitted to use assets from the main TimeSplitters games, but declined in favor of rebuilding everything from scratch in CryEngine 3. Using an updated engine will lend the game a more modern look, but the developers don't plan on fixing what's not broken. The 300+ playable characters, dozens of weapons, and classic maps will be as close to the original flavor as possible. "It will still feel like a TimeSplitters game," promises project manager Michael Hubicka.

Rewind focuses on the fast-paced multiplayer and skill-based Challenge Mode of the series, ditching the campaign and co-op modes in the interest of finishing the project in a reasonable amount of time. 8 to 16 players will be able to play online, over LAN, or solo, with AI-controlled bots available in any mode. All the classic game types will be present, along with a couple of new modes. The team hasn't ruled out the possibility of recreating the trilogy's campaign, but it will have to wait until they can dedicate their full attention to it.

The project is coming along slowly but surely, with a demo planned to release by December and the finished product available not long afterwards. The completed game will be 100% free, with batches of new content (including many of the playable characters) scheduled for free post-launch updates. Currently the core team is developing the game in their spare time, but if you think you can help contribute to the effort you're welcome to contact Hubicka to lend a hand and speed up the effort. It's a labor of love, after all - and thankfully, there's enough love for TimeSplitters to actually make this happen.

Source: Cooking With Grenades [http://cookingwithgrenades.com/9180/timesplitters-rewind/]

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
No split-screen multiplayer? awww... but nonetheless, I think M. Bison can express this better than myself.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011

Praise the simian lord! We get a new Timesplitters game!

I'm so hype for this. Ever since I bought Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect on PS2, I just couldn't get enough of the series and have been eagerly waiting another entry.

Glad to see that the fans haven't been left out it the cold.

And I'm kind of glad that they're focusing on multiplayer. That was easily one of the best part of Future Perfect for me. Playing multiplayer with a friend with bots on is one of my favorite past times.

EDIT: How was I ninja'd with M. Bison? T~T

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
[HEADING=1]SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!![/HEADING]

Ohmygoddessesohmygoddessesohmygoddessesohmygoddessesohmygoddessesohmygoddessesohmygoddessesohmygoddesses!!!

**pulls out an old record player and puts on an old, dusty record**

Ahem.

"Happy happy, joy joy!
Happy happy, joy joy!

Happy happy, joy joy!
Happy happy, joy joy!

Happy happy, joy joy!
Happy happy, joy joy!
Happy happy, joy joy joy!"

**does the mother-fucking Stimpy dance**

Edit: Although, lack of split-screen multiplayer is a bit sad. Then again, LAN multiplayer is pretty cool. How long has it been since you could say "hey, LAN party!"

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I guess I'm the only one who really liked the timesplitters campaign and didn't play much of its multiplayer.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I'm going to have to beg for a Headsprouter comeback. It'd complete my life. Not sure why.

-hyperventilating-

ZippyDSMlee said:
No campaign no buy.
But game free. So you no have to spend monies. You try. You show interest. You get campaign and you get new game. Maybe. But you hope for best, and if no, at least we try.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I just dont really get Timesplitters, but then i dont really play a lot of multiplayer and just tried out the single player campaign which i found ok but nothing special. If someone could link me an article or something that explains whats so wonderful about this game i would be really grateful.

Aside from that, props to Crytek for letting the fans have their fun with an IP that was going unused. If more companies took a leaf from Cryteks book and didnt sit on IP's 'just in case' the gaming would would be a more fun place.

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
AC10 said:
I guess I'm the only one who really liked the timesplitters campaign and didn't play much of its multiplayer.
I remember the TimeSplitters 3 campaign, and loved how they ran with the madness that comes with time-travel plot-holes and paradoxes.Going from WW2, to present, and a cyberpunk future, it's like Cloud Atlas with less philosophy and more guns. For me the fps multiplayer was the best of its generation on consoles, and the ability to create your own maps and play them online is something that still remains almost unheard of on consoles.

Very much looking forward to this fan-made release!

Cyrromatic

Mar 9, 2012
I remember the TimeSplitters 3 campaign, and loved how they ran with the madness that comes with time-travel plot-holes and paradoxes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld9uE8ZB7m4

On topic, my god YES.

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
AC10 said:
Nope you're not the only one. The multiplayer was fun but I preferred the campaign. This is better then nothing I guess.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
But campaigns were the really interesting parts... oh well, I guess you can't always get what you want, and honestly it wouldn't really be feasible for garage devs to just make a new campaign that was anywhere near that level of quality.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I think they're doing the multiplayer first because it won't take as long to release that.