Sniper Elite 3 Developer Targets 2014 Release

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Sniper Elite 3 Developer Targets 2014 Release

Sniper Elite 3 is officially in development and before you ask, yes, the hilariously horrific X-ray Kill Cam will return.

When developer Rebellion and publisher 505 Games released Sniper Elite V2 on April 30, 2012, it was hyped as an ultra-realistic simulation of what sharpshooters went through during World War II. It didn't exactly live up to those expectations -- we doubt many snipers single-handedly took out entire wings of the Third Reich like an anachronistic Solid Snake -- and it was a bit rough around the edges, but it did one key thing very, very well: Virtual assassinations.

It was apparent that Rebellion focused its development efforts on the game's sniping engine to the detriment of everything else, but that sniping engine was so visceral that we don't mind much. Lining up the perfect headshot, holding your breath and slowly squeezing the trigger was a tense experience only matched by the satisfying death you could unleash. Particularly excellent shots caused enemies to be rendered in skeletal detail, offering players the chance to watch as their ammunition splintered skulls, shattered ribs and turned internal organs into slushy, bloody stew. It was gory in the extreme, but your targets were Nazis. They had it coming.

With that in mind, it should come as no surprise that we're very excited to hear that Rebellion and 505 Games are once again joining forces to create Sniper Elite 3. Little is known of the game's story, save that it continues the adventures of Karl Fairburne during World War II. The game's official logo features the word "Afrika," leading us to suspect that Sniper Elite 3 will take place in the hotly contested Northern African front, but otherwise the plot is a mystery.

And how is the sniping engine? According to this morning's announcement, it's even better than that seen in Sniper Elite V2. "Sniper Elite V2 was just the beginning of what we want to do with the franchise, there are things we didn't have time to do before that we can really look at featuring this time," said Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley. "We want to focus on making this latest incarnation of Sniper Elite more of a sandbox game and also build on the awesome X-Ray Kill Cam and the atmospheric World War II setting."

Intriguingly, the announcement offers no official word on which platforms Sniper Elite 3 might appear on. Instead, it simply states that the game is being "developed for current and next gen platforms as well as PC."

A sandbox game, with an improved X-Ray Kill Cam, set amidst the geographically diverse, political hotbed that was Northern Africa circa World War II? That's got a lot of potential as a premise. Hopefully the success of Sniper Elite V2 will give Rebellion the resources necessary to flesh out the franchise beyond its current status as an excellent simulation of killing jerks at extremely long range. Then again, even if it doesn't, Sniper Elite 3 should still offer an entertaining action game experience for those who prefer stealth and subterfuge over running into combat with guns blazing.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Sandbox Sniper Elite? Now thats something to keep an eye on, Sniper Elite 2 was so linear that ended up defeating the idea of being a sniper

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Aside from the awful AI, the game was quite good. So fix the AI and you got yourself a near perfect sniping game.

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
Maybe it'll be an actual sniper game this time instead of a third-person shooter with a sniper rifle.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Best thing you can do for a Sniper game is make it a sandbox.

Give us a target, and let us find the best way to kill it.

O wait...thats Hitman <.<

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
skaskunk said:
If I say all niggers(afro-americans, black people, heavily pigmented human being, I don't know what the current political correct term is) steal and shoot people up or all jews are money hungry sharks that's racism but if I say that every nazi/german soldier in the second world war deserved to die and "They had it coming."
Wow. Just wow.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
As long as they tone down the X-ray killcams.

No not for gore aspects, but impact. When i first played Sniper Elite V2 it was awesome the first three or so times i got it. But after getting it 60 bloody times in two minutes it just got to a point that it was a small boring cut scene until i got to shoot people again.

And less linear? yes please, i'll take that. Make it a complete stealth game where you have to sneak around enemy forces, killing almost no one and if you need to do it, do it silently or else you'll be dead within seconds, make an 1,5km headshot to finish off your target. Now THAT deserves a X-Ray killcam