Valve's Business Saw a 50% Increase In 2012

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Valve's Business Saw a 50% Increase In 2012

To put into perspective just how much Valve has grown, Gabe Newell claims that a recent DotA 2 update accounted for 2% of all mobile and land internet data.

Valve is a very big company. Steam accounts for the vast majority of digital PC game sales. Team Fotress 2 and DotA 2 are two of the most played multiplayer games of all time. Steam Greenlight sees dozens of new indie titles introduced to the platform every month. So when Gabe Newell claims that its business has increased 50% over the last year, it makes sense. But it's still quite a staggering statistic.

Newell claimed that the growth had a lot to do with user-generated content, such as paid-for things like TF2 hats and DotA 2 items, as well as the hundreds of free mods available on games which utilize the Steam Workshop, like Skyrim and Natural Selection 2. "There's sort of an insatiable demand for gaming right now," Newell said. "I think our business has grown by about 50 percent on the back of opportunities created by having these open platforms."

If that statistic wasn't jaw-dropping enough, in an effort to put into perspective just how big the software (and soon to be hardware [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122524-Valve-Steam-Box-Prototypes-Are-Almost-Here]) giant has become, Newell claimed that a recent patch for DotA 2 accounted for 2% of all internet traffic. "We were generating 3.5 terabits per second during the last DotA 2 update. That's about 2 percent of all the mobile- and land-based Internet activity."

Valve recently announced that DotA 2 has the most concurrent users [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122485-Dota-2-Attracts-More-Simultaneous-Players-Than-Skyrim] of any Steam game ever. If anything in Valve's library is going to take a chunk out of the internet, it's DotA 2. DotA 2 is technically still in an "invite-only" beta (although invites are selling on the Steam Marketplace for mere cents). If it's pulling these kind of numbers now, we can only imagine how big it will get when it's officially released.

The company's massive growth certainly kills dead any rumors that Valve letting go a number of employees [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122094-Update-Valve-Fires-Hardware-Guru] earlier this year is a sign that it is struggling.

PS: Do I even need to say that Newell declined to comment on the status of Half-life 3 or is that just an assumed thing now?

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/14/gabe-newell-valve-steam-bafta/]

Image: Art of Jin [http://saejinoh.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/master-race.html]

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
This is all lies. PC Gaming is dying, and Valve will burn in hell for making *gasp* PC only titles like DotA 2.

Because all other platforms will fall in the wake of the mighty iOS.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
OniaPL said:
This is all lies. PC Gaming is dying, and Valve will burn in hell for making *gasp* PC only titles like DotA 2.

Because all other platforms will fall in the wake of the mighty iOS.
Sarcasm?

Trolling?

On Topic:

I'm pretty sure last years numbers was a 100% increase, then again being the go-to Digital Distribution platform even a 'mere' 50% increase is still massive. Or this is a sign that market is finally becoming saturated, with everyone and their dog now having a Steam account.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Well it figures. Valve was born from within the community and continues to thrive with its community.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Ed130 said:
Bad Sarcasm could be considered trolling but it isn't necessary so.

It depends on the intent.
Bad sarcasm? You mean with malice or just poorly done?
Sarcasm can also be as banter. Same goes with trolling.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Boris Goodenough said:
Ed130 said:

My definition of thread trolling is 'a comment deliberately designed to derail or disrupt the thread it is posted in'

OniaPL's post could by that definition be considered trolling if it was deliberate, however the post could also be considered a poor attempt at sarcasm rather than an trolling attempt. As of this point a case could be made for both, hence why I asked for clarification.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Ed130 said:
Boris Goodenough said:
Ed130 said:

My definition of thread trolling is 'a comment deliberately designed to derail or disrupt the thread it is posted in'

OniaPL's post could by that definition be considered trolling if it was deliberate, however the post could also be considered a poor attempt at sarcasm rather than an trolling attempt. As of this point a case could be made for both, hence why I asked for clarification.
Eh, just sarcasm probably.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
bafrali said:
Well it figures. Valve was born from within the community and continues to thrive with its community.
It was born in the community of people who worked for Microsoft and Gabe continues to thrive in the community Michelin stared restaurant eating billionaires more like.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
I have to say, that picture of Gabe is absolutely badass :D He looks like something between Superman and Jesus :D

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Welp after the previous VG crash being revived by Nintendo, if we have another crash, Valve may be the company to make gaming popular again. They're less evil than the others and at the very least LISTEN to the community.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
albino boo said:
bafrali said:
It was born in the community of people who worked for Microsoft and Gabe continues to thrive in the community Michelin stared restaurant eating billionaires more like.
I meant that ıt was mostly composed of modders at start and some of their biggest succeses comes from the modding community like Counter strike and Team Fortress. Clear enough for you?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This is incredible. While other companies try to increase their profit by screwing over their customers and rushing games for release, Valve is constantly growing by being nice and letting us do business for them. Beautiful.

Daedrin

Apr 17, 2010
It's almost like Valve treats it's community like creative, intelligent people; instead of dirty criminals and/or sheep!
Weird.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
The day Valve releases Half Life 3, they'll take over the internets and become gods of PC gaming.

And I couldn't wish for a better overlord.

It's weird. Despite the state of the industry being what it is, thus putting Valve in a very good light, I feel that I must be brainwashed to think that about Valve... but honestly, I don't care.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Ive seen that image before but I like it so much its now my wallpaper

Dec 14, 2009
Vault101 said:
Ive seen that image before but I like it so much its now my wallpaper
I do believe it's the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race, lording it over the dirty console peasants :D

Great picture.