Evil Dead Producer Confirms Army of Darkness 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Evil Dead Producer Confirms Army of Darkness 2

Sam Raimi's longtime producer says a new Army of Darkness flick is in the works and that Bruce Campbell is set to return as Ash.

The Evil Dead scene is a confused one these days. An Evil Dead remake is on the way, and earlier this month Raimi revealed that he's planning to work on a script for Evil Dead 4 this summer. But at the SXSW Film Festival last week, Rob Tapert, who has partnered with Raimi on numerous projects going all the way back to the original Within the Woods [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078503/], said the new film isn't actually Evil Dead 4, it's Army of Darkness 2.

"Everybody calls it Evil Dead 4 but Army of Darkness wasn't called Evil Dead anywhere except by the fans," he told Comingsoon.net.

It's a fine distinction, but an important one. A Google translated Peliblog report says Raimi, who's also producing the Evil Dead reboot, insisted that it not interfere with his ability to make another Army of Darkness sequel starring Ash, which is why Campbell's character doesn't appear in it. Because of that, the two films "co-exist beautifully," Campbell said.

But Campbell also suggested that this is a recurring theme for Raimi and that it may just be pillow talk. "Sam threatens this every six months," he said in the Comingsoon interview. "I've heard this a thousand times, because in the back of his mind, he never wants to let go, because he loved making these movies. We all loved making them together. They were a nightmare to make, very difficult, but they lasted the test of time, so he's not going to let that go, and I'm never going to say 'no.' It'll be me and a walker fighting some other old guy. But that's what he does and who knows? It may happen."

"It may happen" is a far cry from "it will happen" but it's a lot better than "it won't happen." Speaking strictly for myself, I have zero interest in an Evil Dead reboot, but a new Army of Darkness film starring Bruce Campbell? Gimme some sugar, baby!

Sources: Peliblog [http://www.comingsoon.net/news/sxswnews.php?id=101337]

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Fantastic news, but don't push it or get too hopeful. These projects can be difficult to get off the ground; I'd explain, but your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Army of Darkness is my favourite movie of all time (yes, you read that right).
I would love a sequel, just for fun.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart.

I literately squealed when I saw the post title. Make it happen, TAKE MY MONEY.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I've read the title and stopped. I have no idea what the rest of the article is, I don't even care, the title alone makes me giggle like a nut.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
This is not a bad idea. Army of Darkness moved away from the horror of the first two Evil Dead in favor of a more Action/Fantasy/Comedy vibe. Now with the Evil Dead (sorta remake) bring the horror back. I don't think its a bad idea to have 2 series set in this universe. The Evil Dead flicks with be the horror ones and Army of Darkness with be the more Action Fantasy based series.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Would be fantastic, part of the beauty is that its impossible to be too cheesy!

Wait, cant finish this post without an AoD quote so.... ok, my thoughts on this news: "Its a trick, get an axe."

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
I can't wait to see how this turns out. Admittedly I'm one of those weird fans of the Evil Dead who liked Army of Darkness because it realized it's ludicrousness and just went with it. I also hope that they have two series going on at once the reboot being true horror and Army of Darkness being comedy.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Wow, I was extremely worried that by "Army of Darkness 2", you actually meant "reboot" and they'd tack it onto the new Evil Dead. I'm mildly interested in the ED reboot but knowing Bruce isn't gonna be in it, probably not even with a cameo, does detract from it even more. However, Army of Darkness 2, starring Bruce Campbell, is my dream movie, so knowing that it is at least still within the realm of possibility is very exciting.

Aug 1, 2010
rhizhim said:
yes, he should really had listened to the old wizzard.
its about damn time...
[sub/]the american ending was better[/sub]

OT:
"It'll be me and a walker fighting some other old guy."

This is why I adore Bruce Campbell. The dude just gets it.

I do hope this happens, even if it isn't great.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Bruce Campbell's eternal wink at the camera has always been what made his work as an action hero compelling even while other past-prime actors attempts to return to the action blockbusters of their youth have inspired eye-rolling. I'd certainly be willing to see what would come of an AoD 2.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Is it going to be a serious dark take like the new Evil Dead film?
If so, count me out.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
Evil Dead 3 4... Maybe 5?

The Bubba Hotep edition.

Don't get me wrong, hope it's great. But, isn't Campbell a bit old now?
Well, that all depends on when in the timeline it's set to and what happens and how young they actually decide to make him look.

All in all, if it can happen, I'd welcome it.

Oct 2, 2012
I think I may have damaged my computer with all the money I'm throwing at it.

I loved the Evil Dead movies and would kill to see this be made, as long as it is even campier and funnier than the first Army of Darkness.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
AC10 said:
Army of Darkness is my favourite movie of all time (yes, you read that right).
I would love a sequel, just for fun.
Aye. I only just finally got an original, real R3 MGM Hong Kong DVD, and it's the one thing I've been looking for for almost a decade now. At first, I didn't believe it would be as complete as the shabby quality Singapore laserdisc cut or the various VHS bootleg versions copied off of that one. Not only is it the most integral and complete version, the picture quality is breathtaking, straight off the 35mm. I'm holding back on Bluray orders until I get a confirmation that this exact cut is actually on there somewhere. Promises and beliefs are no good, I've seen and heard them all, and they were all letdowns.

I am aware that there are two scenes 'missing', but I don't miss those. I just want the windmill scene to be complete and intact, I want the slaves, I want the 0.3 seconds of boobies, I want the 'slept too long' ending. After twenty years, I finally got it, melonfarm Anchor Bay. Thanks for all the fish, but melonfarm you!

First, you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me. Blow.

"Though Sam and Bruce relented that at 96 minutes, the film seemed a little baggy and was probably too heavy an assault on the audience's senses, this is still probably the least uneven and most coherent version."

I love the both of you, but shut the hell up and get down to make Army of Darkness 2 before either of you is beyond repair. It's been twenty years, for farm's sake!