You'll Conquer Planets In DUST 514 "Later This Year"

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
You'll Conquer Planets In DUST 514 "Later This Year"

Planetary conquest is coming to CCP Games' MMOFPS DUST 514 later this year, allowing players to shoot one another over tangible benefits.

A new blog post recently added to the official DUST 514 website focuses on the upcoming addition of planetary conquest to the game. Currently slated for release "later this year," the new feature is said to provide players with more immediate reasons to kill each other. Specifically, cold hard cash (and other resources).

"In an update arriving later this year, we will allow the planets -- or rather the many districts on each planet -- to be conquered by DUST 514 player corporations. Controlling these districts will amass wealth for you and your allies and provoke conflict with your enemies," writes CCP Games engineer "CCP Nullarbor."

To allow for this sort of geographical macro-scale conflict, CCP will be dividing planets into districts. Each planet will feature between 5 and 24 districts and to help players navigate these new expanses, CCP claims that it has completely overhauled the in-game starmap with special attention being paid to optimizations for the PlayStation 3. PC gamers probably need not worry that the game will be watered down however. CCP built its fortune on the PC and has always been a staunch supporter of the platform.

So how does one conquer a planet? Simple: You throw bodies at your opponents until one of you runs out of soldiers capable of squeezing a trigger. As with CCP's MMO EVE Online, the concept of characters respawning is explained by in-game lore as the activation of a clone body. Taking control of a planet's districts will allow players to generate more clones, thus improving their ability to rapidly deploy troops into other areas. You can see why capturing and holding these districts would be crucial.

If this sounds like a recipe for chaos, there's good news: CCP has designed the system in such a way as to provide players with periods of down time. "Each district replenishes its clone supply at a pre-configured time chosen by the owner," Nullarbor writes. "However, this also makes the district vulnerable to attack for an hour each day. Battles are always scheduled during this window, meaning you won't need mercs to be geared up and ready to deploy 24/7, and both sides get a day or so to prepare for the onslaught to come."

Once you've taken a district, instead of simply letting it remain as it was before you took control, you're able to upgrade the area with various installations that improve the speed at which your side can generate clones, the district's ability to store surplus clones and how rapidly these clones can be deployed. That's neat, but we haven't mentioned the best part yet: Orbital bombardment.

Say you get tired of sprinting around, staring down the sights of your gun and shooting at other players. Instead of turning the game off you can instead use the interconnectivity between DUST 514 and EVE Online to take the battle into space. Players will be able to fire on districts from orbit, using a variety of weaponry, though you should be warned that friendly fire is entirely possible. Aim your bombs carefully or you might vaporize a bunch of those hard-earned clone soldiers.

As we mentioned above, there's no set release date for this content, other than the nebulous "later this year." Expect more information as it emerges.

Source: DUST 514 [http://dust514.com/news/blog/2013/03/planetary-conquest/]

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Why can I see this turning into fleets of ships just vaporising everything on the planet for shits and giggles?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
So wait, this is getting a PC release? Must. Play.

I was really disappointed with the news up until now, because this sounded like my kind of ridiculous MMOFPS, but everything I had seen before now said it was a console exclusive. Here's hoping it's not subscription based and either A.) my laptop can run it, or B.) I get a new computer before the servers all die.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Ed130 said:
Why can I see this turning into fleets of ships just vaporising everything on the planet for shits and giggles?
Because a player has to allow it. No one can shoot the planet unless a player says so.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:

I was really disappointed with the news up until now, because this sounded like my kind of ridiculous MMOFPS, but everything I had seen before now said it was a console exclusive. Here's hoping it's not subscription based and either A.) my laptop can run it, or B.) I get a new computer before the servers all die.
I think when he said pc gamers he was referring to EvE.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Korten12 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:

I guess, but if that is what he meant, he didn't convey it well. I read it as "it's a multiplatform title that's been optimized primarily for the PS3, but for those of you playing it on the PC, you don't have to worry about it being watered down." Some clarification either way would be appreciated.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Korten12 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:

I guess, but if that is what he meant, he didn't convey it well. I read it as "it's a multiplatform title that's been optimized primarily for the PS3, but for those of you playing it on the PC, you don't have to worry about it being watered down." Some clarification either way would be appreciated.
Yeah it's just to say that pc gamers who play Dust on ps3 won't have to worry about it being watered down. Since the Dust Blog makes no reference to Pc gamers or a port.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Korten12 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:

well they never announced anywhere that DUst will ever come to PC. in fact thier stance was "we want a game for consoles, we already got PC players sold". so its very unlikely. which is a shame, because that way i would be an active player, since i love eve and seems like DUST is going to deliver after all regardless of my fears.