From Buttons to Beats

daftnoize

Aug 23, 2010
From Buttons to Beats

Club music and videogames have a stronger link that you probably realize.

Read Full Article

Datacide

Apr 6, 2010
WipEout was responsible for getting me and a friend in to "electronic" music. I loved the game but the music really made it an amazing experience. I love most types of music, but WipEout was a metal kids first experience with club music and I haven't looked back. N2O further expanded my experience with the introduction to The Crystal Method.

Aug 31, 2012
Nope, I can definitely say I was well aware of that, as someone who got into playing games as an adult as part of the clubs and drugs playstation 1 era this article struck a definite chord with me.

I DL'd a Playstation emulator a few weeks ago and managed to play Ridge Racer Revolution for the first time since my old PSX broke. Game was pretty meh but the music still made me smile. I just wish I had all the old Amiga Cubase tracks I got on demo disks as a young teen in the early 90's, or the ability to transfer memory cards for psx onto PC to listen to the old Music tracks me and my friends made. That's some stuff I'll sadly never hear again.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
What, no mention of Audiosurf? I know, it's almost a glorified music visualizer, but the visuals and style remind of club ligths and electronic music more than anything else. In fact, my experience with the game was that fast beat electronic music gave very challenging tracks as the game adapted to the my music.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
That's correct Wipeout had always been closely linked to clubbing, I remember back when the original was been prototyped in UK clubs.

Those PS1 originals got 90's UK youth culture off to a T and getting The Design Republic to work on the games was genius.

daftnoize

Aug 23, 2010
shiajun said:
What, no mention of Audiosurf? I know, it's almost a glorified music visualizer, but the visuals and style remind of club ligths and electronic music more than anything else. In fact, my experience with the game was that fast beat electronic music gave very challenging tracks as the game adapted to the my music.
Hi, William here.

I didn't include Audio-surf (although I very much enjoy that game) because as you rightly said dance music isn't necessarily linked to it. Although I highly recommend playing Breakcore, Jungle and other High BPM tracks on it. I would also recommend Vib Ribbon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbHO1ZYhtLk a somewhat large influence on Audiosurf.

Hope you enjoyed the Article

Isaac The Grape

Apr 27, 2010
Great article. I think you're about to make me trawl the internet for the Wipeout soundtracks! I really resonated with the article, but I wonder if this connection between games and electronic music is as exclusive as you make it out to be? What about the long standing connection between Metal and games? Or the less prominent but still important connection between Hip-Hop culture and games?

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
daftnoize said:
shiajun said:
Hi, William here.

I didn't include Audio-surf (although I very much enjoy that game) because as you rightly said dance music isn't necessarily linked to it. Although I highly recommend playing Breakcore, Jungle and other High BPM tracks on it. I would also recommend Vib Ribbon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbHO1ZYhtLk a somewhat large influence on Audiosurf.

Hope you enjoyed the Article
Could have done with some links to screens or videos of the footage mentioned - kinda left cold if we didn't play the games but were curious about the topic; just a suggestion. Well written, though.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
This article was worth reading the second I learned of the Rez "Trance vibrator". My dad and I got a great laugh out of that one. The naivete of game developers!

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
"Louder," the intro song to Wipeout 2048 is one of the only songs of its type I can enjoy. The music is sorta dub-step-like, and yet I just really enjoyed the song, enjoying it enough to download the full version. Caught me by surprise, but DAMN, it is catchy!