Nintendo Reveals Release Date For Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Nintendo Reveals Release Date For Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

The 3DS revival of Donkey Kong Country will make its retail debut in a little more than two months.

Donkey Kong Country stands as one of the finest platformers ever released on the Super Nintendo. That's no mean feat, as the SNES has literally hundreds of platformers to choose from. Of course, this was from an era in which developer Rare was still widely seen as one of the best companies in the industry. The success of Donkey Kong Country (and more specifically, GoldenEye and Perfect Dark) eventually drove Microsoft to sign Rare as an exclusive second-party developer, though the firm's output since that deal was put into place has left both fans and Microsoft itself wondering when the developer lost its magic touch.

But forget about all that for a moment. We're here to discuss Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, an upcoming Nintendo 3DS title that hopes to revive the game in much the same way as the 3DS iteration of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Like that game, Returns 3D will rely heavily on the 3DS' exclusive technology, lending the classic title new, higher definition 3D graphics. Though technically a port of the Wii's Donkey Kong Country Returns, the 3DS game offers a host of new material designed for hardcore fans of the series.

All of this information has been known to the public for months, but until this morning the game lacked an official release date. However, the official Nintendo Europe Twitter account changed all that a few hours ago. According to Nintendo, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D will make its retail debut on May 24.

We have no worries about the quality of the game's 3D graphics. Nintendo is seemingly the only company capable of creating useful, visually attractive 3D on the 3DS. What concerns us about this game is exactly how much new content it might include. Its Wii predecessor was a good game, but it lacked a certain something that might have propelled the classic title beyond simple "rehash" status. Fingers crossed that for the 3DS version, Nintendo and developer Monster Games can find enough extant and new content to convince Donkey Kong fans to buy this game for what would effectively be a third time.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/312533643597869056]

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I know that at least one Grump will be happy about this.

Though personally, I've always been apathetic/resentful towards Nintendo 1st party games; I'm counting the days left until Bioshock Infinite gets released.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Awesome! This release date is really great news. Can't wait to grab this one and may even pick it up on day 1. I've never beaten the Wii version but mainly because I haven't had much of a chance to play it recently...

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
Yes! I can't wait for essentially the same game I beat years ago on SNES and again on GBA because I was bored and had nothing better to do!

This time it'll be in 3d, though! WOOOOW!

I'M SO EXCITED!

sid

Jan 22, 2013
I long for the day when Nintendo realizes 87 individual words on a title constitutes the putting down of said title. Until then, I kind of need to ask. Are they even selling things at this point?

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
sid said:
I long for the day when Nintendo realizes 87 individual words on a title constitutes the putting down of said title.
That's a nice hope, and speaking as a dude whose job forces him to retype those stupidly long titles over and over again (with HTML italics tags), I fully agree.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
wait for next week when they release Super Motorized Paper Zelda 11: The Return of Giraffe Sharks of The Third Moon of The Mushroom Kingdom

...Part 2

...The Videogame

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
So, they handed the port detail over to a company that primarily, if only, has done racing games, while the developers that did well but could have done better (Retro Studios) given time to polish it are off doing secret things with some of the former Naughty Dog, id Software, and Vigil team members. You know what this tells me? The 3DS is still mostly only for novelty plays, while the reason I clicked this article (specifically, hoping for news about the new Retro Project being announced) was idle hopefulness. Shame.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm a little bemused that Big N seems to be throwing so many of the eagerly awaited continuations of famous franchises at the 3DS. I mean, sure, it needs its support, too... but isn't there this other console of Nintendo's out, now? Kinda hangin' in the wind, waiting for that promised third-party support to manifest?