Join The Escapist Live for Slender: The Arrival

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Join The Escapist Live for Slender: The Arrival

[http://www.twitch.tv/escapistmagazine]

Scare yourself witless with our Slender: The Arrival live stream starting at 7:30pm eastern time (11:30pm GMT.)

Last year's Slender scared The Escapist's Paul Goodman into Twitch.tv channel [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9876-Slender-Review].

You can watch the stream right here or, if you want to join the chat, you can head over to The Escapist's official Twitch page [http://www.twitch.tv/escapistmagazine]. However you do it, you'll get to hear Paul wail in terror and, with any luck, cry like a baby as he wanders through the dark world of Slender: The Arrival.

If you're likely to forget to tune in, you can get email reminders whenever we start streaming by following The Escapist on Twitch.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Tonight? At 11.30pm? Sounds like fun! I always like being scared into not sleeping!

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
All this game seems to be is a prettier version with a new map most people who beat the original can likely beat this one in no time.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
So, what was the deal here? I actually pre-ordered so I could get beta access, not realizing until after I did it that the beta was basically a stripped down tech demo. I'm really wondering how you got two hours of gameplay out of it, unless maybe the game goes to a new level or something after you get the eighth page? From what I played of it, it was basically the original but prettier, and with an almost totally non-threatening slenderman. Kind of kills the fear of getting caught by him when you can literally walk through him unscathed. I stopped at 7/8 pages because I was having a hard time finding the last one, and the game wasn't scary enough for me to want to keep looking[footnote]by comparison, I don't think I ever got past the fourth page in the original, because Slendy kept killing me[/footnote]. No scares in a horror game this bare bones = boring, and nobody wants that.

That said, I've got high hopes for the finished product -- as a tech demo, it works. Good writing could make it scary, and it's supposedly the plot (written by the people behind Marble Hornets, no less) that was cut out of the beta demo.

GlorySeeker

Oct 6, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
So, what was the deal here? I actually pre-ordered so I could get beta access, not realizing until after I did it that the beta was basically a stripped down tech demo. I'm really wondering how you got two hours of gameplay out of it, unless maybe the game goes to a new level or something after you get the eighth page? From what I played of it, it was basically the original but prettier, and with an almost totally non-threatening slenderman. Kind of kills the fear of getting caught by him when you can literally walk through him unscathed. I stopped at 7/8 pages because I was having a hard time finding the last one, and the game wasn't scary enough for me to want to keep looking[footnote]by comparison, I don't think I ever got past the fourth page in the original, because Slendy kept killing me[/footnote]. No scares in a horror game this bare bones = boring, and nobody wants that.

That said, I've got high hopes for the finished product -- as a tech demo, it works. Good writing could make it scary, and it's supposedly the plot (written by the people behind Marble Hornets, no less) that was cut out of the beta demo.
Theres going to be more than one level. As opposed to the first game, which is easily more difficult, I think they want you to be able to complete each level, cause they want you to get to the next level. Now dont quote me, I know for sure there will be more content than the original setting redone, but Im not certain why its easier.

I like this Slenderman a little more than the first, hes visibly more aggressive and can actually walk toward you. As in the first game, he just kinda appears out of nowhere to fuck you. He still does that, but also can be seen ( Not for than a few seconds mind you) Walking toward you. Which to me is creepy as all hell.

This isnt a game thats gonna scare you, unless you let yourself get into it. Its supposed to give you that feeling of "Oh crap, dont look back, he could be there! Or right around this car! Or oh god oh god was that him?!" Ya know what I mean?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
lordcloud47 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:

Theres going to be more than one level. As opposed to the first game, which is easily more difficult, I think they want you to be able to complete each level, cause they want you to get to the next level. Now dont quote me, I know for sure there will be more content than the original setting redone, but Im not certain why its easier.

I like this Slenderman a little more than the first, hes visibly more aggressive and can actually walk toward you. As in the first game, he just kinda appears out of nowhere to fuck you. He still does that, but also can be seen ( Not for than a few seconds mind you) Walking toward you. Which to me is creepy as all hell.

This isnt a game thats gonna scare you, unless you let yourself get into it. Its supposed to give you that feeling of "Oh crap, dont look back, he could be there! Or right around this car! Or oh god oh god was that him?!" Ya know what I mean?
I see what you mean, but that was my point -- the original did it better for me, because seeing him for much more than a second or two meant death. In this one, while he moved much more creepily, I quickly realized that he was totally harmless as long as you kept running. That wasn't a metaphor when I said you could run through him -- you can plow right through him unharmed, there isn't even any clipping between the models.

As for the multiple levels thing, I know it's planned for the final product, but I was talking about the beta. Did they have access to some sort of more fully featured preview build for the livestream? Because the beta level doesn't have 2 hours of gameplay to it.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I'm really wondering how you got two hours of gameplay out of it, unless maybe the game goes to a new level or something after you get the eighth page?
Paul did promise to keep replaying for two hours. After 1 1/2 hours he finally managed an 8 page run. And then he tried ??? mode... might be a bit more random? Did a few games of that, and then finished with an 8 page ??? run. Just over two hours.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
ritchards said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I'm really wondering how you got two hours of gameplay out of it, unless maybe the game goes to a new level or something after you get the eighth page?
Paul did promise to keep replaying for two hours. After 1 1/2 hours he finally managed an 8 page run. And then he tried ??? mode... might be a bit more random? Did a few games of that, and then finished with an 8 page ??? run. Just over two hours.
Okay, that explains it. Also, I may need to play some more of that, now that I know there's another mode to unlock.

GlorySeeker

Oct 6, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
lordcloud47 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:

I see what you mean, but that was my point -- the original did it better for me, because seeing him for much more than a second or two meant death. In this one, while he moved much more creepily, I quickly realized that he was totally harmless as long as you kept running. That wasn't a metaphor when I said you could run through him -- you can plow right through him unharmed, there isn't even any clipping between the models.

As for the multiple levels thing, I know it's planned for the final product, but I was talking about the beta. Did they have access to some sort of more fully featured preview build for the livestream? Because the beta level doesn't have 2 hours of gameplay to it.
I agree. Ive played it through where hes been right on top of me, and just held my shift button through the keyboard. I think they are really stressing the looking at him. Ive seen friends of mine die from looking at him from a distance for too long. Maybe its not supposed to work like that. regardless, Im eagerly awaiting to see the final product.