Wrestler Dave Bautista Joins Guardians Of The Galaxy Cast

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Wrestler Dave Bautista Joins Guardians Of The Galaxy Cast

When Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy film adaptation hits theaters, Drax will be portrayed by former WWE Superstar Dave Bautista.

The Marvel Universe Wiki [http://marvel.com/universe/Drax] describes Drax The Destroyer as a former musician killed by the mad titan Thanos. The less mad titan Kronos then resurrected Drax with superhuman strength and incredible resilience, specifically to seek revenge on Thanos.

IMDB [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Batista] lists scant credits for Bautista, with his most notable role to date being that of Brass Body in 2012's RZA-directed kung fu throwback flick The Man With The Iron Fists.

What's the link between these two? According to The Hollywood Reporter, Marvel Studios has signed Bautista to portray Drax in the upcoming film based on Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy superhero team.

The film, which is being directed by James Gunn, won't hit theaters until 2014, but fans have long been arguing over who might portray the green-skinned Drax on the silver screen. Until the Hollywood Reporter story broke, the smart money was on Jason Momoa, the muscular actor who's recently risen to prominence as Khal Drogo on HBO's Game of Thrones television series. Momoa also starred as the titular anti-hero in the 2011 reboot of Conan The Barbarian, so he seemed a solid fit for the heavily-muscled Drax.

While I'm sure there are wrestling fans excited by this news, for most of us it raises more questions than it answers. Those who watched Bautista in The Man With The Iron Fists are aware of his acting talents, or more accurately his lack thereof. In fairness, Bautista is a far better actor than most professional wrestlers who attempt to make the jump to Hollywood, but he lacks the charisma and general purpose appeal of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Then again, the comic book incarnation of Drax serves as a scowling, hulking brute, and in that regard Bautista is a perfect fit for the role.

Still, we can't help but think that Marvel Studios, fresh off the massive financial success of The Avengers, should have been able to find a more competent thespian for the role. There may not be many actors with the necessary muscle mass to portray Drax properly, but we have to think there would be enough of them that a guy like Bautista shouldn't be able to find his way into what will undoubtedly be a huge, tentpole production, likely to pull in hundreds of millions of dollars, if not more.

Then again, we had our doubts about Robert Downey Jr.'s ability to portray Tony Stark prior to the first Iron Man film, and now we can't imagine anyone else in the role. Hopefully Dave Bautista proves a similar happy surprise.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-signs-wwes-dave-bautista-428724]

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
He's onboard eh? That's cool. He might prove a surprise hit and that's almost always an excellent bonus.

[sub][sub]Also, he was in Scorpian King 3. The infinitely best film ever.[/sub][/sub]

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
You know, I actually enjoyed him in The Man With the Iron Fists. Seems like he'd be a good fit for the role.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
vansau said:
You know, I actually enjoyed him in The Man With the Iron Fists. Seems like he'd be a good fit for the role.
Oh I did too, but not in a "he's an objectively good actor" sort of way. It was more in a "that's a huge, imposing dude who looks like he could kick Russell Crowe's head in and that would be awesome in this campy movie" sort of way.

Also, Mike, we miss you. Come back to us.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
mParadox said:
[sub][sub]Also, he was in Scorpion King 3. The infinitely best film ever.[/sub][/sub]
This! This is why I'm totally okay with him being cast in this film. Anyone in The Scorpion King 3 (sadly not mentioned in the news article; what's up with that, guys? :p) gets a free pass for the rest of their career.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Uh oh, here it is, Marvels first big flop in a long while. I love the property, all of their major galactic stuff is awesome in my book. But as soon as you start casting professional wrestlers who are not Dwayne Johnson (who is actually a fairly decent actor), it's all down hill. Plenty of movies have tried having a professional wrestling co-star, or even star and the wrestlers are terrible outside their wrestling personas.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
WWE superhero... and his power is what, making baddies go suicidal with his horrific soap drama acting?
Actually no that would just make him an ordinary wrestler, he must possess the ancient art of super horrific soap drama acting!

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
You know, I'd normally take this as a worrying sign. But then I remembered everyone being skeptical of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. And then Chris Evans as Captain America. And the Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk.

There's the chance that this could end bad, but I've learned to trust Marvel.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mr.K. said:
WWE superhero... and his power is what, making baddies go suicidal with his horrific soap drama acting?
Actually no that would just make him an ordinary wrestler, he must possess the ancient art of super horrific soap drama acting!
Actually, his horrible soap opera acting is so bad he can even drive other wrestlers to suicide. It was his finisher in WWE.

Mr. Omega said:
You know, I'd normally take this as a worrying sign. But then I remembered everyone being skeptical of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. And then Chris Evans as Captain America. And the Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk.

There's the chance that this could end bad, but I've learned to trust Marvel.
The major difference being, they were at least actors.

But still, I'm not about to throw a tantrum over the choice. Worst case scenario is this BATISTA BOMBS at the box office.

If John Cena can kick out of that, I'm sure Marvel can.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I admit to not knowing much about this Marvel character but I must wonder if there will be basketballs?

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
vansau said:
Oh I did too, but not in a "he's an objectively good actor" sort of way. It was more in a "that's a huge, imposing dude who looks like he could kick Russell Crowe's head in and that would be awesome in this campy movie" sort of way.

Also, Mike, we miss you. Come back to us.
One thing big wrestlers like him learn to do well is be silently imposing, they do a lot of stare downs and know how to get an intense look in their eyes. They can also do their own stunts in some cases which is nice.

I don't know much about the character so I don't really know how he is supposed to act, but the blue dots in his bio seem to think he is kind of dumb so it might work. Then again Batista wasn't even one the better talkers as a wrestler. I don't know how good he will be in any speaking role but we will see.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
MarvelDisney have managed this like gods so far just trust them to keep hitting the right mark and all this should rock!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
If he does not Batista Bomb somebody I will be woefully disappointed.
piinyouri said:
I admit to not knowing much about this Marvel character but I must wonder if there will be basketballs?
I don't think it matters, they don't hold grudges.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Well not watching this movie then i refuse to support anything this guy does.

ShoryukenDude

Mar 24, 2009
Hey, I'm all for it. Batista was never the best actor from what I could tell, but hey, its not like he'll be the only guy in the movie right?

'Course, I know almost nothing about Guardians of the Galaxy, so he might be the crux of the whole thing...

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
You know, I'm not too worried. Marvel have pulled quite a few odd-seeming casting choices, and they've always worked out brilliantly.

That said, whilst I think the film will be good, I can't see it doing that well commercially.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Oh I hate Batista. I am a huge wrestling fan and I hate him. He was an above average wreslter, shitty on the mic, and apparantly bad at acting (though I've never seen him act). Maybe he will surprise me, but I doubt it. He's also quite smug from what I've heard.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I'm cautiously optimistic. On one hand, a wide majority of the actors put in Marvel films weren't expected to do as well as they did. Now the actors have become synonymous with the character they played. Robert Downey Jr IS Iron Man. Hugh Jackman IS Wolverine. Wesley Snipes IS in prison. On the other hand, wrestling. Most wrestlers aren't known for their acting skill. John Cena has become a more muscular version of Walker Texas Ranger in what movies I've seen him in. Dwayne Johnson of course is the exception to the rule. And then there's Bane. Not TDKR. No, the original Bane as portrayed by Jeep Swenson in Batman & Robin.. Just, bad bad bad. He more or less stood around and scowled his way through the movie while lifting heavy things. So if Batista can actually act, this will be great. But having not seen Drax much beyond Annihilation, I'm not sure how much acting he may be required to do.