Tomb Raider Players Munch 1.4 Million Crabs

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Tomb Raider Players Munch 1.4 Million Crabs

But how many times has Lara cheated death, you ask? Weeeell ...

As is traditional, now that Tomb Raider [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122580-Tomb-Raider-Reaches-One-Million-Players-in-Two-Days] fans have settled in and started murdering the local fauna, Square Enix has revealed a few useful statistics. Lara clearly has a crab fetish; she's chowed down on over 1.4 million of the things, without benefit of melted butter. That said, given the choice she'd much rather sink her choppers into Bambi; 5.2 million deer have gone to their reward so far, to feed her insatiable hunger.

An archaeologist has to eat, but if Lara's a terror to the local wildlife, then that goes double for anything on two legs. Over 147 million enemies have fallen to her bow - 20 million of which went up with a gentle foom! from fire arrows - but, careful warrior that she is, Lara retrieved over 356 million arrows from her fallen enemies. Waste not, want not. Also? Ouch. Maybe shooting straight would be the better option there, Lara; two arrows or more per target seems a painful way to go. That said, Lara's pretty good at dodging enemies, so perhaps the opposition ought to be taking some tips. She's dodged attacks 11 million times, and cheated death over 13 million times so far.

But this is Tomb Raider, so the one question on everyone's mind is, howsabout dem tombs? Square Enix hasn't neglected that vital statistic: 3,570,956 tombs have been raided so far. "Keep playing, and we'll keep on tracking," says Square Enix. So if you happen to be standing at a tomb entrance right about now, bear in mind: Big Enix is watching you, and Lara's not going to break the 4 million tombs raided mark by standing around all day. Get in there!

Source: Square Enix [http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/theres-survivor-all-us]

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
A journistically good article on an otherwise not too interesting list of facts.
Good job!

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Am totally guilty of using my firearms to chase after wildlife and cute bunnies, they are worth more xp per bullet then the human enemies were (unless its a headshot).

Also need moar tombs to raid!

Otherwise aint surprised by the stats, as ive said in another thread, lara is a combat monster in new tomb raider, slaughtering dozen of goons and making it look easy.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Actually, it's the character who ate the crabs, not the players. But hey, whatever.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
If you're given the option of setting enemies on fire, why would you kill them any other way? Besides stealth kills that is.

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
A lot of those deer were my fault. After finishing the game, I was still missing three weapon upgrades. Being the completionist, I am, I could not end the game without those upgrades, and the only way to get the salvage I needed was from the fauna. So a'huntin' I went.

Many deer were killed in the quest for about 1200 more salvage :)

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
kailus13 said:
If you're given the option of setting enemies on fire, why would you kill them any other way? Besides stealth kills that is.
Well, as soon as they start tossing tnt at you, guys with machetes run at you while you are under fire from a few guys with assault rifles, the shotgun and assault rifle are really tempting to use.

On a personal note, didnt kill that many fauna, not even a single crab.

The enemies slayed statistic however i did have a hand in.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Are you feeling it now Mr. Krabs?
Judging by your avatar, Vault got banned again? Shame :(

OT: Why do companies track these statistics? I just really don't care at all. I wager most people don't. Is this the kind of wonderful feature set that internet connectivity is supposed to give us? Why not do something useful?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
blurredplacebo said:
Slow news day is it?
Feel better now, do you? Really, does a comment like that give you some kind of sneery thrill?

We shared something that we found interesting. If you don't, that's perfectly fine. I simply don't understand the purpose of your comment other than to be vastly unpleasant.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I shot a crab and an achievement popped up saying I had killed Fee Fee the crab. That made me feel really awful for some reason. Like I had slaughtered an animal crossing character.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
Moonlight Butterfly said:
I shot a crab and an achievement popped up saying I had killed Fee Fee the crab. That made me feel really awful for some reason. Like I had slaughtered an animal crossing character.
I got that too. Makes you wonder why of all the animals in this game, the crab alone gets an achievement.

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
It's amazing, isn't it? Give an animal a name and there's some part of the brain that goes "Aw shucks. I wish I hadn't done that."

I wonder what other games will start tracking bizarre and unusual stats. Hmmm. *eyes Bioshock Infinite* Number of tonics consumed. Number of meters travelled via sky hook. Number of times the space/time continuum has been ripped asunder...

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
roushutsu said:
I got that too. Makes you wonder why of all the animals in this game, the crab alone gets an achievement.
Why do I get the feeling that something happened with the crab model like a dev spent ages on it or something and everyone made fun of them :p

nexus

May 30, 2012
But you don't actually eat anything. You just kill it, it's only implied at the very beginning when she has to kill a deer for food.

Otherwise I shot a crab because I knew they put it there for a reason. I would never eat the damn thing otherwise because I don't eat crab, bottom-feeder nasties begone!