Microsoft Denies Additional Evidence of Halo 3 PC Port

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Microsoft Denies Additional Evidence of Halo 3 PC Port

The internet has discovered yet another Halo 3 PC reference buried within AMD's beta drivers.

Back in early February, some Steam users started poking around and found references <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121856-Update-Halo-Trilogy-Appears-and-Then-Vanishes-From-Steam-Database>to a Halo Trilogy release within Steam's database. Before anyone could get too excited, Microsoft officially denied the whole thing, stating that there were no plans to launch any Halo PC ports on Steam's digital platform. Now the question of Halo ports has cropped up yet again after the discovery of Halo 3 references buried within AMD Catalyst's beta driver. Microsoft is once again assuring audiences that there are no plans to re-release the popular games, despite the fact that we're now one incident away from making coincidence into a likely reality.

The Halo 3 reference was found in the application profiles of AMD's Catalyst 13.3 beta, listing support for the console-exclusive title. Admittedly, a tiny piece of code doesn't mean anything, and could simply have acted as a sample placeholder. That certainly is the position Microsoft took when asked about Halo 3 by Eurogamer. "We currently do not have plans to release any Halo titles on Steam," a Microsoft spokesman said, "nor do we currently have plans to release a PC version of Halo 3."

While anything we say about Halo's PC future is speculation, it certainly wouldn't be the first time re-release hints were discovered, denied by publishers, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118275-Square-Enix-Finally-Confirms-PC-Final-Fantasy-VII>and then confirmed anyway. Either way, if Microsoft isn't planning a Halo 3 port, it seems like a missed opportunity. As far as PC gamers know, Halo 2's story ended in a cliffhanger before Master Chief could prevent a galactic catastrophe. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121856-Update-Halo-Trilogy-Appears-and-Then-Vanishes-From-Steam-Database>Given that fan reactions of the original "rumor" were largely positive, I imagine a fair number of PC gamers would love to see what happens next.

While we're on the subject, it's worth mentioning that Duke Nukem 3D was also listed on Steam's database, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122100-Duke-Nukem-3D-Headed-for-Steam>was confirmed for re-release a week later.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-18-microsoft-no-plans-for-any-halo-game-on-steam-or-a-pc-version-of-halo-3>Eurogamer

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Hey Microsoft, you guys like money, yeah? Just release this game on PC and you'll get loads.

Sep 14, 2009
Dragoon said:
Hey Microsoft, you guys like money, yeah? Just release this game on PC and you'll get loads.
that's the hilarious part about it, if they ported it to pc, and also offered it in some kind of trilogy deal, it'd sell truckloads of cash. plus the 360 is very similar to pc anyways, so it shouldn't be too much work to port it vs making an entire new game..

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Just give us the games already, I'm notta big fan of FPS games and I'd still get the trilogy if it was on the PC

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Yawn-o-rama!!!

A decent, OLD, consolegame might be released on PC.
Too bad PC exclusive and PC released ports of newer, better games are aplenty!

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Well, people working for Microsoft have denied lots of things in the past.
Like that people would ever need more than 640kb of RAM.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
plus the 360 is very similar to pc anyways, so it shouldn't be too much work to port it vs making an entire new game..
Well, aside from the 360 using a PPC architecture and the PC using an x86 architecture, which is kind of a big difference.

That said, the first two games already have PC versions. I can understand not porting the third, but I have no idea why they haven't at least rereleased 1 and 2 yet.

P.S. Thanks

Sep 14, 2009
Covarr said:
gmaverick019 said:
plus the 360 is very similar to pc anyways, so it shouldn't be too much work to port it vs making an entire new game..
Well, aside from the 360 using a PPC architecture and the PC using an x86 architecture, which is kind of a big difference.

That said, the first two games already have PC versions. I can understand not porting the third, but I have no idea why they haven't at least rereleased 1 and 2 yet.

P.S. Thanks
yeah i meant that more as a relative statement, considering they've ported the first 2 already. it boggles me why they wouldn't cash in more money on their biggest franchise by doing as much as they can with the older titles on the pc.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Good thing I already finished Halo 3 a few years ago, the only Halo I've ever owned in a console.

Let's assume they budge and finally release Halo 3, what about ODST, Reach and 4?, I won't be waiting 'till 2030 to get the full goddamned series on my PC.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I actually hope they release this for the PC. It'd sell a pretty decent amount, and they'd be able to cash in on the renewed interest in the brand. Us modders would love to make use of that playground, and add a few new things to the table that just aren't possible with the newer games. It's like Microsoft is afraid of money or something.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Shame. I would buy it no question if they did release it. Hopefully someday they'll change their minds. In the meantime, I'll keep playing Halo 4.

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
Well as a Halo fan with a ruined Halo 3 copy, let me just say that my money wants to slip through steam into Microsoft's pockets, but something's getting in the way of it. And it's not my computer screen.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I never understood microsoft, the Halo series is a series I could really see myself enjoying but it's not on the PC in it's entirety. Halo 1 on the PC was actually rather decent. Halo 2 was crap but only because microsoft decided they had to push vista some how so they were going to make Halo 2 a vista exclusive for no other reason than to try and sell more vista.

Exclusives don't motivate PC gamers as a general rule.

Just release a classic halo trilogy for forty bucks, sell it for a year and then release halo four and watch the cash roll in. Also for the love of god sell it on steam.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
They need time to make sure that it's as godawful a port as Halo 2 was, so that sales tank and they can keep claiming that there's no money to be made in ports.

an annoyed writer said:
Us modders would love to make use of that playground, and add a few new things to the table that just aren't possible with the newer games.
The odds that Microsoft would allow dirty Modders to actually alter their precious game are exceptionally low.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
The Rogue Wolf said:
The odds that Microsoft would allow dirty Modders to actually alter their precious game are exceptionally low.
Halo: Custom Edition
That is all.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Why must Microsoft hurt us so? The first Halo got onto PC and was absolutely excellent. I didn't get to play the second because *shudder* Vista. But if you got Halo 3 ported well it'd be excellent! They'd probably make a good bit of money off it too.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
synobal said:
I never understood microsoft, the Halo series is a series I could really see myself enjoying but it's not on the PC in it's entirety. Halo 1 on the PC was actually rather decent. Halo 2 was crap but only because microsoft decided they had to push vista some how so they were going to make Halo 2 a vista exclusive for no other reason than to try and sell more vista.

Exclusives don't motivate PC gamers as a general rule.

Just release a classic halo trilogy for forty bucks, sell it for a year and then release halo four and watch the cash roll in. Also for the love of god sell it on steam.
There's not much to understand. Microsoft is run by idiots these days. If they had any functional brain cells left they would release all of their games on PC. It takes a real fuckin' moron not to see how well Valve's doing by treating gamers with respect.