Rumor: Capcom Revives Strider For Modern Consoles

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Rumor: Capcom Revives Strider For Modern Consoles

If a couple tiny images and a Steam achievement listing are to be believed, Capcom may be planning to resurrect the long-forgotten, fan-favorite Strider franchise.

It's been a long time since gamers enjoyed the last adventure of Strider Hiryu. So long in fact, that most of you likely only know the futuristic ninja from his appearances in the Marvel Vs Capcom fighting game series. Though the character debuted as the titular protagonist of a manga created by Moto Kikaku, he didn't truly rise to prominence (particularly in the West) until Capcom's 1989 arcade game Strider. Despite being successful enough to spawn a port to the wildly popular Nintendo Entertainment System (as well as Sega's Master System and Genesis consoles, and almost every computer platform in existence at the time), Strider wouldn't return until the PlayStation era in the appropriately-titled (and criminally underappreciated) Strider 2.

However, Capcom never truly forgot about the hero, and a recent discovery by NeoGAF user "SalsaShark" seems to suggest that the company may be working on a new game in the franchise. That image embedded at the top of this article appears to be a modern, Xbox Live Arcade-style box art for this potential game, and another, similar image can be found in SalsaShark's NeoGAF post. Further, SalsaShark discovered a Steam achievement listing the game by name. Unfortunately Valve and/or Capcom appears to have discovered this potential leak and has since removed the achievement listing, so while you're still able to access the page [http://devinwatson.com/SteamSchema/222920.html] that once included this information, it now lists only the words "TestAchievement THIS IS A TEST TEST IT." We can confirm however, that at the time SalsaShark initially posted his or her findings that the page did include text indicating the possible future existence of a game dubbed simply "Strider."

So, what are we to deduce from this information? At this point, not much. It's entirely possible that those images were created by a talented artist armed with a copy of Photoshop. That page listing the achievement could also have been doctored. However, we question what the purpose of this ruse might have been. Why would anyone, even a hardcore Strider fan (of which there aren't many left), want to trick people into believing that Capcom might be working on a Strider sequel? Further, such a sequel would fall right in line with Capcom's modus operandi. The company has long used the Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network as an arena in which to revive its older, less popular franchises. Both Bionic Commando and 1942 were rehashed for modern audiences in exactly this way, so the idea that Capcom might do the same for Strider is not just reasonable, it almost seems inevitable.

Still, this is undeniably scant information to work with. Until Capcom either confirms or denies the existence of a Strider sequel, we urge all of you to consider this a rumor. That said, we've got our fingers crossed that there is indeed a new Strider game on the way. Like the aforementioned Bionic Commando the original Strider featured some very clever uses of then-current technology to present a hero with abilities far beyond those seen in other gaming protagonists of the time. It's exciting to imagine how much further Capcom could push these concepts using modern hardware, and if nothing else we love the idea of a game that allows for free-form exploration via a hero who can climb anything, up to and including massive neo-Cold War-era boss monsters.

Double points to Capcom if it resurrects that stupidly difficult cyborg gorilla boss. I hated that guy as a kid and would jump at another opportunity to julienne his simian face with a laser sword.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=50625258&postcount=1]

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
My guess they'll reintroduce the series in the same vein as Bionic Commando: rearmed or Rocket Knight. A polished, 2.5d platformer in the same vein as the original. Could be good. I'd really like for them to use sprite based models for the characters and 3d backrounds like in the second one. I love that aesthetic used in games like klonoa. Unfortunately for me, full 3d models are likely all but guaranteed.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Fun fact: As a kid I only knew him from the MvC franchise and due to the sprites being rendered in standard-def back in the day I mistook the (kanji?) symbol on his outfit to be a Canadian maple leaf.

Just thought I'd take a moment to embarrass myself >.>

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Cue Music

YES! YES! YES! AND GOD YES! I've seen some of the old Strider games and I'd just love some DMC style hack and slash with Hiryu going off against All the Contra style shit from the old games.
Just I liked the direction Bionic Commando went (aside from "WHY IS YOUR WIFE AN ARM!?") and I'd love to see what they do with Strider. :D

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Fappy said:
Fun fact: As a kid I only knew him from the MvC franchise and due to the sprites being rendered in standard-def back in the day I mistook the (kanji?) symbol on his outfit to be a Canadian maple leaf.

Just thought I'd take a moment to embarrass myself >.>
I've made similar blunders. For the longest time I thought Guy from Final Fight was only ever from the Street Fighter series.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
That's so easy to screw up... I'm not sure I consider that good news at this point.

Remember what they did to Golden Axe...? DX

I'd rather not have them try to reboot Strider at all.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Strider was amazing on the Genesis, very faithful to the arcade version. I remember it was one of the first games I've seen on the system, at the time I had a Sega Master System and from this point on all I wanted was to get a Genesis (which I got some years later). I eventually managed to beat the game on normal difficulty, but only after much effort. Good times.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Don't be suprised if this is canned or stuck in Japan cause Capcom.

The pandering to nostalgia now is just grasping at straws.

ragestreet

Oct 17, 2008
Oh i'm sure Capcom is going to resurrect this old franchise loads of people care about. It's going to be just as awesome as Mega Man Legends 3! Right?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Meh. Call me when they revive Mega Man.

Speaking of...

ragestreet said:
Oh i'm sure Capcom is going to resurrect this old franchise loads of people care about. It's going to be just as awesome as Mega Man Legends 3! Right?
I wouldn't get excited about this game until it's on store shelves, because Capcom has a nasty habit of letting everyone down. In addition to Mega Man, I still want Ace Attorney Investigations 2 and Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney god dammit.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
ragestreet said:
Why did you have to remind me of the sadness of Legends 3 getting cancelled. T^T

OT: Not gonna be getting anything Capcom related until they say "We are going to continue making Megaman Legends 3, and we're sorry for blaming it's cancellation on the fans." Also before you ask, I look outside everyday to see if there is a pig flying around.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
rhizhim said:
the story was pretty damn weird.
lets see how they are going to flesh it out.
I loved strider, but i never quite managed to finish it.

That play through was pretty impressive. It also reminded me of how absolutely terrible the soundtrack was.

Also, here's hoping this goes well and someone starts a HD remake of the magnificent Turrican 2 (including the shootemup level).

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Is there any chance it will return as a lovingly and lushly illustrated 2D platformer rather than as a 3D platformer with camera issues that frequently plunges the title hero to his death?

I'm not saying it's impossible to make a character perform with Strider's famous agility in a 3D space- the Ubisoft Prince of Persia series is a decent template- but it would be an awfully easy change-over to screw up.

Joos said:
That play through was pretty impressive. It also reminded me of how absolutely terrible the soundtrack was.
The arcade version actually sounded a heck of a lot better than that... Methinks the version served up for the Genesis version butchered things a bit.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
I'm certain this is going to end up being a DARKER and EDGIER reboot in the same vein as DmC or Bionic Commando...

If it turns out being good, then great. But....given Capcoms track record lately, I'm not holding my breath.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
ragestreet said:
HAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA Depression...

now I'm sad.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
"They came from the third moon with ancient monsters."

The Genesis/Megadrive version was pretty much arcade perfect. I finished it many times.

I liked the soundtrack and the sound effects were a source of much amusement especially the Amazons in the jungle stage "Cocopop Struggle!" "BLAAAAA!" and also the robot wrestler "EEEEEEE! EEEEE! RARRRR!" playing with the sound test on the options screen was a given those days.

I enjoyed the freedom of movement in the game and giant enemies.

Mar 26, 2008
Tim Chuma said:
"They came from the third moon with ancient monsters."

The Genesis/Megadrive version was pretty much arcade perfect. I finished it many times.

I liked the soundtrack and the sound effects were a source of much amusement especially the Amazons in the jungle stage "Cocopop Struggle!" "BLAAAAA!" and also the robot wrestler "EEEEEEE! EEEEE! RARRRR!" playing with the sound test on the options screen was a given those days.

I enjoyed the freedom of movement in the game and giant enemies.
Ah yes, the glorious days of the sound test. It always sounded to me like the amazons said "unga mcdonald".

A couple of times in the Megadrive version the robot gorilla would appear on screen and immediately die in a sheet of flames. Good times.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Ah yes, the glorious days of the sound test. It always sounded to me like the amazons said "unga mcdonald".

A couple of times in the Megadrive version the robot gorilla would appear on screen and immediately die in a sheet of flames. Good times.
Some games had cheats that could be unlocked by playing around with the sound test. Sonic 2's level select and debug mode come to mind.

There was a lot going on in some of the stages, stuff could happen for no reason sometimes.

Spent most of yesterday watching those longplays from the one video someone posted of Strider above.