Sonic Generations Mod Adds New Levels From Unleashed

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Sonic Generations Mod Adds New Levels From Unleashed

The Unleashed Project for Sonic Generations ports most of the daytime levels (the levels where you don't play as a werehog) from Sonic Unleashed.

Remember Sonic Unleashed? It promised to allow players to relive the glory days of Sonic's past, speeding through glorious high-resolution raceways on next generation consoles. Then there was the revelation that half of the game would have you run around as a "werehog" punching things. It was the biggest mistake in a Sonic game since that one game where Shadow had a gun.

A dedicated team of modders has been hard at work to bring the good bits from Unleashed into the PC version of Sonic Generations. The total conversion ports over most of the daytime levels (the levels where you don't play as a werehog) from the Xbox 360 version of Unleashed, and is now available as a free download, [http://www.moddb.com/mods/sonic-generations-unleashed-project] provided you own a copy of Sonic Generations.

Other notable changes include improvements to the control scheme and framerate, as well as the addition of higher resolution graphics. The full list of new features and content is as follows:

No console limitations. This means support for unlimited resolutions, high-quality texture filtering and 60 FPS gameplay as long as you have the hardware for it. Stages that had performance problems in the original game now work perfectly (with a proper setup).
Eight Modern Sonic stages completely readapted from Sonic Unleashed. Lots of layout improvements, recreation of gimmicks, and fixing various bugs/glitches.
Brand new White World Stage for level selection. Enjoy the new soundtrack arranged by Falk.
Various High-Definition retextures by Lobotomy.
No mandatory RPG elements, no medal collection, no Werehog.
Superior control scheme, player speed, consistent camera control (no wildly changing FOVs or distances that would make a player nauseous and confused), support for various skills (such as Super Sonic), etc.
Classic linear progression system for starting a new game. This new game won't overwrite your current save file (as long as you don't disable savefile redirection), so you can collect Red Rings and have new score and time records.
New Red Ring locations for each level. S Ranks will require you to speedrun and optimize your route as much as possible.
Alternate and experimental FxPipeline renderer included within the game. Provides support for special effects from Sonic Unleashed, such as directional shadows, directional light shafts, better motion blur, and much more! (Recommended to use)

Installing the mod is as simple as extracting the files into your Sonic Generations folder and running the new .exe file as an administrator. There is also a "low-end" version of the mod available, which sacrifices a lot of the new graphical improvements to increase performance.

Source: ModDB [http://www.moddb.com/mods/sonic-generations-unleashed-project]

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
This is actually kind of cool.

I hope to see this group continue their work.

MarlonBlazed

Jun 9, 2011
I like this a lot, I love adding more life into a game.

It's good... But is it penis mod good?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Aww yeah I've been waiting for this. Time to download.

Despite the bile in the Sonic fandom I find some of the most insanely awesome geniuses reside in it as well, which is why I always keep an eye on the modding and fangame scene.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Sega confused me so much with Unleashed, they put out such a awesome game, then they go silent with any kind of DLC. Instead modders have lept to the challenge.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Hell Yeah. Just when I thought I was done with the game, this comes out. Time to roll around at the speed of sound again.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE UNITE!!!

Seriously though, this is completely and utterly awesome, I always thought that Generations was perfect for Sega to start churning out lots and lots of DLC with new levels, or at least promote a level editor on Steam Workshop, leave it to the fans for making an "unmoddable" game moddable and make something truly awesome :D

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
This is so freaking awesome

It's like a whole new game for free for me. Stellar work from the modders

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
I've been keeping up with this project!
I might actually buy the game on PC just for this. But then I'd have the game twice.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
I have the sudden urge to reinstall Sonic Generations. I loved the daytime stages and that trailer got me really excited. It's like getting half a game for free. The good half.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Wait, Sonic Generations can be modded?

*checks ModDB*

Huh, you can...that's pretty cool! This specific mod is cool! Sega is cool! Everything is cool!

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I'll have to get this as soon as I can, but I'm not at home right now at can't download it. I worried that sega might shut down this sort of thing, they probably have a legitimate copyright claim here, considering they are completely coping the levels.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Wow, can't believe I'm saying this, but after my falling out with the series in 2006, I might actually BUY a sonic game.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
And now I wish I had this on PC.

That would involve having a PC that could run it of course, but who cares about those little details.

Anyway the work they've done looks pretty damn stellar.

[sub]Also I enjoyed the night stages. In fact, my main complaint with that game was Eggmanland. Fucking ridiculous.[/sub]

MacSkops

Jan 13, 2013
I think...I may have to buy Generations for the PC now after seeing that mod. A pity dlc stages weren't made available for Generations naturally, would've made perfect sense too, seeing how the game's level selecting format could quite easily accommodate new stages.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
The FxPipeline renderer has some cool lighting features, but it's clearly not ready for primetime. UI bugs, all sorts of glitches when you play the game letterboxed, no AA... but a lot of the mod's effects rely on it. Oh well, it's still fun, albeit short. I beat the whole mod in roughly an hour (would've been less if Unleashed didn't have so many bottomless pits in bullshit places).

P.S. Thanks

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Brilliant! Regardless of the lackluster night levels, the day levels of Sonic Unleashed were absolutely amazing. Very much going to give this a download and play those levels again!

Palmerama

Jul 23, 2011
Wish I had the PC version. Considering the hype and marketing of Generations, not to mention the praise & good sales the game got Im still purprised the game hasn't been given any DLC. It's perplexing. Especially as this is a game that could have tons of the stuff.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
My biggest complaint about Generations was just the brevity of it due to only having 9 levels with two stages each (not counting the challenges).

I've had my eye on this mod for a long time, loved the day stages of Unleashed even if I did never finish the game because of how obtuse the coin collecting and adventure maps got later on in the game. Time to download!