Steam Debuts Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Steam Debuts Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition

Hail to the king baby! Duke is back, and this time he won't leave you horribly disappointed.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but we can all agree that Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8949-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Review] didn't live up to the expectations we all had for the franchise, right? I'm sure there are a few of you who didn't utterly hate Gearbox's attempt to salvage a project that effectively killed Duke Nukem creator 3D Realms, but by and large, Duke Nukem Forever is less a game and a more a Sisyphean symbol of everything that could possibly go wrong during a game's development.

Alright, now that we've gotten that out of the way you can go back to trying to desperately to forget that Duke Nukem Forever was ever created. After all, we're here today to discuss the original, undeniably awesome Duke Nukem 3D -- and more specifically the imminent Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition.

According to PC Gamer, this latest title is a compilation of the original Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition along with three of the game's better expansion packs: Duke Caribbean: Life's a Beach, Duke It Out In DC and Duke: Nuclear Winter. As was the industry standard at the time, these expansions add little more than a few new maps (most of which are based around gimmicky design tropes) and occasionally a new weapon or two, but for the most part what you're paying for is more of that classic Duke 3D gameplay.

More importantly, Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition's Steam release adds SteamPlay support to the game, with support for Steamworks to be added at some point in the future. It would be enough for this release to exist by itself as it marks Duke's belated Steam debut, but the modern accoutrements planned for the title serve as lovely icing on this violent, pixelated cake.

So, when can you get your hands on Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition? That's the best part. If publisher Devolver Digital is to be believed, the game will make its Steam debut later today. I checked the service immediately after typing that last sentence and it isn't currently available, but it should appear any minute now. As for a price point, you'll be happy to hear that all of this can be yours for a mere $10. Even without the complimentary comparison to Duke Nukem Forever, that's a very solid deal for such a seminal shooter -- and no, that wasn't a disgusting (yet utterly apropos) euphemism.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/20/duke-returns-to-his-glory-days-with-duke-nukem-3d-megaton-edition/]

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
YEsssssss

If this also allows us to play custom maps, run the better version of the engine that modmakers made + their maps then I'm all up for this. I'm also crossing my fingers for easy multiplayering.
Duke It Out In DC is a fantastic expansion, the other two not so much.

Spend so many hours making maps for this game. I love it. One of the best FPSes of all time imo ;D

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Thedutchjelle said:
If this also allows us to play custom maps, run the better version of the engine that modmakers made + their maps then I'm all up for this.
That would be Steamworks.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
I'll probably pass... I got the XBLA version a year or so ago. Loved the gameplay, but a lot of the humour felt more uncomfortable than it did as a teenager.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Are all the expansions already in the GoG.com version, does anybody know?
It's "Atomic Edition" and not "Megaton Editon". So, probably not. I could look it up by downloading it but... no, I don't want to install that thing. Ever.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Does it use DosBox?, if yes, then I'm not interested, I already have it from GOG and I don't care that much for the other expansions and mission packs.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Bindal said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Are all the expansions already in the GoG.com version, does anybody know?
It's "Atomic Edition" and not "Megaton Editon". So, probably not. I could look it up by downloading it but... no, I don't want to install that thing. Ever.
I have it installed. I could check right now.

But that would expend effort on my part so I'm just going to assume you're right.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but we can all agree that Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8949-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Review] didn't live up to the expectations we all had for the franchise, right? I'm sure there are a few of you who didn't utterly hate Gearbox's attempt to salvage a project that effectively killed Duke Nukem creator 3D Realms, but by and large, Duke Nukem Forever is less a game and a more a Sisyphean symbol of everything that could possibly go wrong during a game's development.
Well that wasn't a needless and moderately dickish paragraph of dead-horse beating. We fucking get it, you didn't like the game; now stop complaining about news from two years ago and talk about what's in the actual title.

O.T. The price is right at $9, so I'll pick this up when I can. Was a fan of the 360 port, and this is like that but MOAR.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
This is actually really cool. GoG has had the atomic edition for ages, but those expansion packs A.) have been out of print for over a decade now, and B.) don't even work with any of the source ports, meaning even if you had them, you'd have to run it in DosBox instead of on a nice updated engine. Hail to the king, baby.

Tolkienfanatic

Jul 24, 2008
$10 is a little steep but who am I kidding, I'm going to buy it anyway so I can always have one of my formative gaming experiences on hand.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Thedutchjelle said:
If this also allows us to play custom maps, run the better version of the engine that modmakers made + their maps then I'm all up for this.
That would be Steamworks.
Hopefully that works indeed, I'm just not entirely sure how that will be handled yet (I doubt anyone knows the details at this point).

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Heck ya!

I played the original back when it came out...

Damn this brings back merry memories. And all of it for a tenner? Sold

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Looks very nice, but this is one of those few games where I actually want multiplayer. If they'll add it later, I'll probably buy it.

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
If it has the multiplayer I'll take it if not then this is a pass for me as I already have the atomic edition from gog.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Mrkillhappy said:
If it has the multiplayer I'll take it if not then this is a pass for me as I already have the atomic edition from gog.
just checked steam there is no multiplayer I'm kinda bummed about that I played coop with a friend on the 360 it was a blast