Google Transforms Any Website Into 3D Marble Maze

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Google Transforms Any Website Into 3D Marble Maze

Take a few minutes to experience your favorite sites from a new perspective.

Everyone has different preferences when browsing the web. Some people use multiple monitors, some people like to read from their smartphones, and some people enjoy navigating their favorite websites through tilt-based marble platformers. Google's latest experiment with Google Chrome should be a real treat for that last demographic. World Wide Maze morphs web pages into Super Monkey Ball-esque marble mazes, which can be played in-browser or through a smartphone with a built-in accelerometer.

The game uses Chrome's shareable tabs to sync up with your smartphone without leaving the browser, though it can be played without a phone via keyboard controls. Theoretically, the levels are endless since any website can be dynamically transformed into a marble maze. It isn't just a simple folding job, either - maps contain multiple vertical levels connected by elevators and filled with collectable spheres to pick up on your way to the goal on the other side of the "page." Google's homepage makes for a pretty simple course, while other sites - like, for example, The Escapist - are split into several tiers cut from various sections of the page. Advanced levels include challenges like high-speed jumps which, while exciting, are not terribly conductive to informative reading.

You can check out the World Wide Maze for yourself over at this link [http://chrome.com/maze/]. The mazes themselves are an impressive use of the Chrome technology, though the smartphone sync sometimes gets a little finicky. Give it a spin, and let us know how it goes - though we can't promise a site redesign just for the sake of a more interesting maze.

Source: World Wide Maze [http://chrome.com/maze/]

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
DISCONNECTED.

But I don't even have a god damn phone connected. What's your problem, chrome D:

...Otherwise this is pretty neat.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Ah snap! The connection has been lost. Thanks a lot Google.
Thanks Obama

OT: This is indeed pretty cool. Great distraction from relearning recursion!
I played on five websites and got disconnected three times, so once they fix that bug I think it'll work pretty great!

Sep 14, 2009
Reyalsfeihc said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Ah snap! The connection has been lost. Thanks a lot Google.
Thanks Obama

OT: This is indeed pretty cool. Great distraction from relearning recursion!
I played on five websites and got disconnected three times, so once they fix that bug I think it'll work pretty great!
dammit you beat me to it! i love using sarcastic obama jokes ^_^

OT: One small step for google, one giant leap for megaman

(I can only hope that's where this kind of stuff leads to :D )

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
lacktheknack said:
GUYS

I HATE YOU ALL

I WAS SUPPOSED TO DO A RESUME
Very good, my plan is working....... err I mean, you should probably do the resume first, if you want....

tseroff

Jun 8, 2009
Desert Punk said:
tseroff said:
Who else went straight for the Escapist?
I did, the Escapist is a pain in the ass!

and fun question; Why does the WiiU have to charge so much for something I can do with my phone? :p
I didn't think it was that bad. My second site was Battleship Pretension, which felt a lot harder. The Four Seasons website was also pretty tough; it played like an online mini-golf course.

Captcha: moot point. You don't have to judge me, captcha!

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
Sadly, trying to search for more websites produces naught but cute plinky-plonky noises. Also, Nexus 7's don't work with it, which is strange.