CD Projekt Plans to Release Two More Titles, Expand to US

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
CD Projekt Plans to Release Two More Titles, Expand to US

The Polish-based studio details its game plan over the next few years.

CD Projekt has earned itself a loyal fan base over the years, with its release of The Witcher series, its post-release product support [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117361-DRM-Is-Still-Dumb-Says-CD-Projekt]. Now, the company is looking further afield, revealing a schedule to publish more games and open an office in the US by 2016.

According to a strategy document on its website (translated from Polish), CD Projekt announced that it intends to release "two smaller (titles)" over the next three years to support one of the company's products. The report indicated that both games would have lengths of "approximately 20 hours", so the efforts don't appear to be insignificant.

In addition, CD Projekt plans to release a "cross-platform game on mobile platforms based on one of our brands", as well as starting license sales of REDengine and providing "development support for community modders".

The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt and Cyberpunk 2077 will be sold during this timeframe, with The Witcher 3 to be available on "at least three strong platforms including PC hardware and PS4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122280-Witcher-3-Will-Be-2014-PS4-Release 2]". The Witcher 3 will also be receiving "long-term support" via a "completely new mechanism", which may simply be a means to deliver new patches and add-ons.

Finally, the company announced its intention to cross borders by starting up "a local representation of CD Projekt RED" in the United States, which will be responsible for marketing and PR events in the Americas as soon as this year. This new US office will also house a representative for GOG.com, the company's DRM-free online distribution channel: the new role will be overseeing "business development and recruitment" for the online store.

Source: Videogamer [http://www.cdprojektred.com/resources/document/2013/2013_05_-_zalacznik.pdf]

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
You know, CD Projekt kinda sounds like a younger Valve, only with RPGs instead of FPS - A developer with a solid track record, but only sticks to one genre, is very popular among the consumers for its business practices, also has a growing digital distribution platform. Don't get me wrong, I think that's great. I hope CDP stays good, that it's games are great, that GoG keeps growing and that it all makes gaming better.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
There are a select few gaming companies I just really want to support and have no problem almost automatically giving my money to.

CodeClub (Wurm Online), due to its humble roots and extremely niche playstyle.
Valve, due to their fantastic games and craptonne of cheap sales on STEAM (as well as modding support and all that good stuff)
And CD Projekt, due to its high quality games, stance on DRM and post-product improvement scheme with free Enhanced Editions.

It's great to see one of the "good guys" expand, so I wish them luck.

(honorary mentions: Mojang and 2K. While both make good stuff, one made just a little too much money so automatic sympathies are off ;), and the other is a bit too big so while I like them for what they do I'll still be a bit picky)

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Really glad they are planning to expand. I don't know if they will plan to do other genres, but in my opinion they should stick with those only. They really know their trade when making fantastic RPG's.

Now to patiently wait for Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk which are a few years away, can't wait for any more information regarding those two titles, maybe even some gameplay in the immediate future.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Very exciting! I'd love to see what kind of different things we get from these guys now they're branching out.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Shine on, you crazy Polish diamonds, shine.

Anything that shows those big, lumbering, stupid behemoth companies that you can be adaptable and consumer-friendly rather than just 'too big to fail' to make money is a grand thing.

CDP just makes me all flavours of happy.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Abomination said:
Shine on, you crazy Polish diamonds, shine.
No, it's...

SHHHIINNNNE OOONN~, YOU CRAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYY DDDDDDDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAAAAMOND!

I was just listening to that, what a coincidence. :-D

OT- While I didn't like The Witcher 2 that much (that may have been due to my hardware though :-/), I definitely respect their business practices and would like to see them have success in the United States. Here's to hope that they'll do really well. :)

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
I will add to the chorus and wish those guys the best.
In these times of anti-consumer policies, they are a fresh breath of air.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I am eagerly looking forward to seeing what they bring out. EA, are you watching? These guys know how to win the respect of their customers, you could be taking some notes here any time they make any kind of announcement.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I'd like to welcome them to the U.S., but gamers give cupcakes to show displeasure.
In that case, what would it take to show CDP how much we love them? We can't afford solid gold bricks.

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
I can't wait for some more stuff from CD Projekt RED. Also, I love how a "Small" game is considered "around 20 hours." What with Giant Generic FPS 5's single player being all of 3 hours long.
In a world of crappy DRM, shady business practices, and hostility towards modders, it's good to know at least one company has their head on straight.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I'm genuinely happy for these folks. I hope that more exposure leads to better business for them because they deserve it.

Can't wait for The Witcher 3 either. Probably be a pre purchase/ day one purchase for me. A more stable Skyrim with better combat, hell yeah!