Telltale's Walking Dead Goes Portable On The Vita

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Telltale's Walking Dead Goes Portable On The Vita

Telltale Games won't rest until its phenomenal adventure game adaptation of The Walking Dead is available on every platform, and next on deck is Sony's Vita handheld.

In a recent IGN interview with Don Mesa, the "Director of Product Planning and Platform Software Innovation" for Sony's PlayStation wing, Mesa reveals that Telltale Games' The Walking Dead is currently in development for the PlayStation Vita handheld. This should come as little surprise, given that the game is currently available on the Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network, Steam and iOS platforms, but it's still undeniably positive news for owners of Sony's spectacularly designed, yet poorly supported gaming machine.

As for what fans can expect from this particular incarnation of The Walking Dead, Mesa believes the Vita's unique capabilities - or, at the very least, it's portability - will add arguably new gameplay dimensions to the largely simplistic adventure game. "We think that the emotion and the immersive experiences you're going to get there, wherever you're sitting, if you're in your living room and playing on your Vita or sitting at a café or at the bus stop and playing this, you get that shock or fright," Mesa states. "I think that's going to be important. That's what we want to deliver as you're playing."

Those of you who own The Walking Dead on, say, the iPad will no doubt have raised an eyebrow at Mesa's claims. Apple's ubiquitous tablet is at least as portable as the Vita (in its Mini incarnation, if not its full-sized brethren), so we're wondering exactly what new elements the Vita game might bring to the table.

Then again, it's hard to care much. The Walking Dead was widely seen as the best game released during 2012, despite strong competition from any number of high-budget, more mainstream games. Whether or not the Vita version adds new gameplay options is beside the point: More Walking Dead is cool by us, no matter what shape it takes.

There's currently no release window for the Vita incarnation of The Walking Dead, but we'll be sure to bring you that news just as soon as Sony or Telltale Games nails down a specific timeframe.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/22/telltales-the-walking-dead-coming-to-playstation-vita?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ign%2Farticles+%28IGN+All+Articles%29]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Well if they aren't going to do a price cut, then this is probably the next best thing for getting sales of the handheld up in the West.

I imagine the game would work quite well on it, considering it doesn't have a large amount of controls, and it'd be quite comfortable watching it on a Vista screen.

I can imagine you could have fun times on public transport playing it as well.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
For those willing to break down in tears in public.

Other than reading the dialogue choices on a small screen, I don't see any serious problems.

INVALIDUSERNAME

May 23, 2012
The Walking Dead on the PS Vita. For when you need an encapsulated bundle of sadness or tears on the go!

Gonna be awkward for the guy playing the final episode on a bus or in the subway.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
3DS version next please? Its episodic nature is already a pretty good fit for a handheld and I can see the 3DS's dual screens making for quite a useful port, probably working better than the Vita's single screen.

Most of all I just want a physical copy released. I hate owning a game as download only; I get real paranoid about losing it!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Just wait until it comes out on 3DS and you can see the tears.

Wait, what do you mean you can't see any tears in the game? ...Give me a minute. *sniff*

Anyway, if any game deserves to reach as many different platforms, and therefore the possibility of more people, it's The Walking Dead.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
Now all we need is for them to not fuck it up with forced touchscreen controls and everything will be perfect!
I dunno, having at least the option of using the touch screen on some of the "click here not to die" QTEs would be better than trying to move a cursor there with a thumb stick.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Eric the Orange said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Now all we need is for them to not fuck it up with forced touchscreen controls and everything will be perfect!
I dunno, having at least the option of using the touch screen on some of the "click here not to die" QTEs would be better than trying to move a cursor there with a thumb stick.
If it adds to the experience, then it is fine, but games like Uncharted and Playstation All-Stars on the Vita use it in the most asinine way.
Uncharted I understand.. But PS-All stars? Tapping screen to grab item isn't all that bad.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
mysecondlife said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Eric the Orange said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
If it adds to the experience, then it is fine, but games like Uncharted and Playstation All-Stars on the Vita use it in the most asinine way.
Uncharted I understand.. But PS-All stars? Tapping screen to grab item isn't all that bad.
It is when you are really focused on the game and you can't simply select a button to pick it up. Minor gripe, but I still wish picking up an item wasn't with the touch screen (especially when I usually take a hit picking it up) It is still unnecessary, it doesn't make the game better in any way.
I don't know what they can do about it. Number of times you're going to pick up the item less than you're going to attack, dodge and use special attack. But I guess option for auto-pick up for vita could make the game better.

Squiddles

Feb 11, 2013
Really hoping this comes out on the 3DS,[sub](not just because I bought that and not the Vita and really want to play The Walking Dead like I should have by now on any form of portable device honestly <.<)[/sub], I do think the dual screen function and touch screen could bring a few more interesting ideas to an already interestingly designed game. =3

Eevee

May 28, 2012
Oh wow! I can't wait for this to come out!

There are gonna be quite a bit of Vita games released this year, and I can't wait to add the Walking Dead to my library ^^

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:
3DS version next please? Its episodic nature is already a pretty good fit for a handheld and I can see the 3DS's dual screens making for quite a useful port, probably working better than the Vita's single screen.

Most of all I just want a physical copy released. I hate owning a game as download only; I get real paranoid about losing it!
Pretty sure I saw physical copies for PS3 on Amazon for $20.

OT: This is great and all, but Telltale should really think about making an episodic adventure Firefly game, since the series focuses on most of the same things like character development.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Now you can share your tears with the public!
Still, nice to see it getting more love.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
If only I could actually PLAY my copy of it. The XBox release was too buggy to play. ><