Fix The Text In Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate With This Simple Tip

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Fix The Text In Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate With This Simple Tip

Playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the 3DS? Want the game to look better, run smoother and have legible text? We can help.

When Nintendo first launched the 3DS handheld, the company focused its hype machine on one major aspect of the device: Its 3D functionality. In truth, it's very impressive that Nintendo's engineers were able to design a portable gaming machine that can offer 3D graphics without requiring players to strap on bulky glasses, but since its debut most players have discovered that the 3D - no matter how technically impressive - is more of a hassle than the promised future of handheld gaming. Speaking personally, I leave the 3D slider set to "off," only switching it on periodically to check how well a developer has implemented the feature in whichever game I might be reviewing at the moment.

Now, assuming you're like me and do the same with your slider, you may have noticed that the in-game text found in the 3DS incarnation of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate looks terrible. It's not quite unreadable, but it does look smudged and should look far better. The problem here is that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate has been programmed to render a 3D image, regardless of what your slider is telling the game to display. As a result, the game effectively creates two versions of whatever the 3DS is supposed to display and tosses them onto the screen slightly offset so as to create the 3D effect. The good news is that knowing this makes it quite simple to fix the issue, and as a bonus this trick will also make the entire game look sharper and improve your in-game frame rate by up to 50 percent - which is very helpful in a game like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate which demands precise timing.

When you first fire up Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, pay a visit to the main menu's "Options" screen. Here you'll notice a toggle for 3D functionality. This is switched to "on" by default, and most players leave it that way, thinking that simply setting the 3D slider to "off" will remove the (oft-literal) headaches of the handheld's 3D. You're going to want to switch this to "off." This will manually force Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate to no longer render that second image, thus removing the smudge effect from the in-game text and freeing up the 3DS' processor which will no longer attempt to render two images, despite your slider's insistence that you don't want to see such things.

Keep in mind that this simple fix does come with one caveat: Once you've switched the 3D toggle to "off," the game will obviously no longer be in 3D. Thus, turning the 3D slider all the way to maximum will have no effect. This isn't a problem if you disliked the 3D in the first place, but it's something to keep in mind.

Oh, and before you ask, there's sadly no text fix for the Wii U version of the game. That's an entirely separate issue that doesn't hinge on simply hitting "A" in the appropriate options menu. The good news is that it doesn't seem to affect most players, but the bad news is that most theories hold that the problem isn't with the game so much as it's with your television. Should you buy a new HDTV specifically to play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate? No, that would be silly. Besides, it'd be far cheaper to kill a Giant Jaggi and a couple Ludroths for the materials necessary to craft one yourself.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
Thanks for the tip. I was wondering why the game had an option to permanently disable the 3D...

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
2013 and devs still can't be arsed to add standard resolution settings... well fuck me sideways are we making bloody progress.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
People read the text in a Monster Hunter game?

I could understand sharper display and more FPS, but why would you need to read?

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
I needed to know this. they could have used the slider as the 3D on off. Mario did. when the 3D is off everything is clear, when it's on the background gets defocused.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Well that's neat, I don't play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate in 3D anyway because I need all my attention focused on not getting my ass kicked.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Toilet said:
Well that's neat, I don't play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate in 3D anyway because I need all my attention focused on not getting my ass kicked.
Pretty much this.

I kept it on for a while because I thought it looked kinda neat, but then I promptly got thrashed. I was wondering what was wrong with the text. This is good to know.

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
gigastar said:

I could understand sharper display and more FPS, but why would you need to read?
I think the only parts i've read were the materials list needed to upgrade and the money cost. Then looking at the monster picture. :p

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
I want this game so much, but I'm not willing to buy a DS or WiiU for one title T-T
Buy Lego City Undercover and Rayman Legends at the same time?

I'm personally fine with the 3D. I just wish the save-sharing was of the cloud variety, not the Transfer Data With Both Things On variety.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Most people don't like/use the 3D effect? Was there some kind of study done on this? Seems a rather definitive, objective statement to make.

Personally, despite being a 3D naysayer, once given a 3DS for a present I came to love the thing. I keep 3D on almost always, unless it's a 2D game I'm playing with tacked on 3D. (Usually meaning DS-to-3DS ports.)

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Mr.K. said:
2013 and devs still can't be arsed to add standard resolution settings... well fuck me sideways are we making bloody progress.
2013 and having a current gen console without an HD tv... What?

Probably also worth noting that the WiiU version is also known as the "HD Edition." Just saying.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
gigastar said:

Belive it or not, the game requires lots of text reading and easily 50% of your time will be spent on menus, making readable text a necessity.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I want this game so much, but I'm not willing to buy a DS or WiiU for one title T-T
If you already have a Wii, just get Monster Hunter 3 and call it a day, to my understanding, the WiiU version just adds a bit of eye candy and a couple of new features, but the core game is pretty much the same, just be sure to get a Classic Controller Pro to play it, sadly it's next to unplayable with the Wiimote and Nunchuck and not because of the waggle, but because of it's lack of buttons, especially for the camera.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Just buy a Wii U when the games start coming out for it that you want. I generally wait until a good 8 or 9 games I want are released on it. Still kicking myself for the impulse buy on my Wii U, but I do love the console itself.
I'm going to be getting this for the U myself.

However I can't help but feel how silly it sounds when I say "I want this game so much, but I'm not willing to build a PC just for one title".

Captcha: Gotham City

NO BRUCE IT'S NOT TIME YET.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
gigastar said:

Belive it or not, the game requires lots of text reading and easily 50% of your time will be spent on menus, making readable text a necessity.
Odd, all i do is kill big things, use thier corpses to make better weapons and armour, then kill bigger things then use thier corpses to make even better weapons and armour.

Also if youre spending any more than 10% of your game time not hunting anything then youre probably doing something wrong.

Dec 14, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
Daystar Clarion said:
If you already have a Wii, just get Monster Hunter 3 and call it a day, to my understanding, the WiiU version just adds a bit of eye candy and a couple of new features, but the core game is pretty much the same, just be sure to get a Classic Controller Pro to play it, sadly it's next to unplayable with the Wiimote and Nunchuck and not because of the waggle, but because of it's lack of buttons, especially for the camera.
I put 300+ hours into Tri.

I'm also reluctant to get Ultimate because it's essentially an expansion to Tri.