Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Gets a Release Date

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Gets a Release Date

Square Enix confirms a announces release date for the Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster in a new trailer.

Final Fantasy X was first announced to be getting an HD remake at the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113003-Square-Enix-Dusts-Off-Final-Fantasy-X-for-PS3-Remake>Tokyo Game Show in 2011, after which we heard next to nothing about it for almost two years. Finally, in February 2013, the Square Enix showed <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122189-Final-Fantasy-X-HD-Shows-Off-Footage>off a tech demo demonstrating the remake's improved visuals on the PlayStation Vita. A month later reports emerged suggesting the game would actually <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122783-Final-Fantasy-X-HD-PS3-Reportedly-Includes-Final-Fantasy-X-2>be a collection comprised of Final Fantasy X and its sequel, Final Fantasy X-2. Square Enix has now confirmed these reports, showing off a new trailer for the HD Remaster collection and giving fans a release date to look forward to. The HD remakes of Final Fantasy X and X-2 will be coming to PlayStation 3 and Vita in North America on December 31st, 2013.

The announcement isn't without caveats, however. The PlayStation 3 will be receiving the Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster, a collection including both HD remakes on one disc, priced at $39.99. The Vita versions of Final Fantasy X and X-2 however, will be sold as separate games, the price of which has yet to be announced. While disappointing, it's not the first time HD collections have been altered when coming to the Vita. The North American version of the Metal Gear Solid HD collection for consoles contained Metal Gear Solid 2, 3 and Peace Walker. The Vita version cost $40, the same as on consoles, but dropped Peace Walker, asking fans to pay the same for less.

We can only hope that Square Enix won't go a similar route and, instead, opts to price the Vita versions of Final Fantasy X and X-2 more fairly. If it does otherwise, we'll have to see what's more powerful, the forces of frugality or the desire of Final Fantasy fans to play these games on the go. Then again, they could just buy the HD Remaster, which is already available for pre-order on Amazon.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/24/4143746/final-fantasy-10-and-10-2-hd-pre-orders-open-and-debut-trailer>Polygon

Note: The original article mistakenly states the release date was announced by Square Enix. The December 31st, 2013 date actually comes from Amazon and could be subject to change.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
And what about we who do not live in the US? I am gald they gave a date but A. It is the end of the year which sucks and B. Will I have to wait until Jan/Feb?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
It should also be noted that Square Enix confirmed both Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2 will have their respective International Edition content in the English HD release, so hurrah!

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Great, I have a whole year to hustle enough money to buy a PS3 now:p

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
December 31st, 2013. Ugh. Was hoping for something a lot sooner!

Still I look forward to it. I've been holding off a replay of X and X-2 for this!

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
The release date hasn't actually been confirmed by Square Enix yet, it's just taken from the amazon page, so it may be a place holder. I hope so, I don't want to wait that long.

Jeyal

Apr 17, 2009
If they port it to the 360, I'll consider it. Until then, my PS3 remains on PS1 duty.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Gizmo1990 said:
And what about we who do not live in the US? I am gald they gave a date but A. It is the end of the year which sucks and B. Will I have to wait until Jan/Feb?
The PS3 isn't region-locked so if they do something annoying like wait 3 months to release in Europe, you can just import it.

My other thoughts pretty much end at WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Only issue I have, for now is...

Japan Y U screw up American box art?

Put words BELOW pretty picture, not on it.
:/

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
This would be exciting if it was coming out on Wii U or at least PC.

Looks like I won't be playing any HD-remakes of SquareEnix games.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Huzzah, only one more year until we can hear some of the worst voice acting in a generation. I can hardly wait.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Chaos James said:
This would be exciting if it was coming out on Wii U or at least PC.

Looks like I won't be playing any HD-remakes of SquareEnix games.
So true.
Final Fantasy games on Steam? A person can dream...

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
PrinceOfShapeir said:
Huzzah, only one more year until we can hear some of the worst voice acting in a generation. I can hardly wait.
Are you gonna quote that one scene again? You know, ignore the rest of the VA work, which was pretty darn good, for a scene taken heavily out of context?

Oy, I hate it when people do that.
So do I, here we are more than a decade later and people still don't understand the intent of the scene. Here's a clue folks, it was supposed to sound like a forced laugh.

Also, December 31...that sucks.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Awesome. People can now be reminded that FF13 wasn't the first Final Fantasy to be one long hallway.

Nath

Mar 25, 2013
Not the release date.
It says definitely 2013, Amazon are just covering that date for pre-orders.
So it's any time during 2013.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah I think December 31st is a placeholder. Did SE actually announce a release date?