Britain Dates the Golden Year for Gaming

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Britain Dates the Golden Year for Gaming

A poll of 2000 British gamers uncovered several major gaming landmarks that revolve around a single spectacular year.

The ideal of a perfect Golden Age isn't restricted to religious or political ideologies. Gamers frequently use the term to reference a time when games could do no wrong, before greedy publishers / DRM / filthy casuals ruined it for everyone. Trouble is, not everyone agrees on when exactly this Golden Age occurred. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/9105-Golden-Era-of-PC-Gaming>Our own Yahtzee Croshaw dates it to the PS2 era, while Infinity Blade's Donald Mustard <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115819-Infinity-Blade-Dev-Were-in-the-Golden-Age-of-Gaming>thinks we're living in it right now. Both made some good arguments, but what about the broader gaming population? British retailer GAME attempted to find a more definitive answer, polling 2000 gamers on their favorite titles and consoles. Once the results were tallied, GAME was able to pin down 1996 as gaming's best year by a 1% margin.

There may be other years that you prefer, but its pretty hard to argue against the volumes of gaming history from '96. It was the year that introduced the Nintendo 64, and Super Mario 64 along with it. 1996 also gave us Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, and an iconic shooter called Duke Nukem 3D. Japan saw the first appearance of Pokemon, RPG fans got Diablo, while sports gamers discovered FIFA 96, the first successful football game to use athlete's real names. And the list keeps going.

Top five years for gaming
1. 1996 (14%): Tomb Raider and Crash Bandicoot on the PlayStation and Nintendo 64 launched.
2. 2002 (13%): Halo and Elder Scrolls III on the Xbox and Grand Theft Auto Vice City.
3. 1991 (12%): Street Fighter II and Super Mario World on SNES and Lemmings was out on the PC.
4. 1985 (11%): Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt and Donkey Kong Jr on the NES and Ultima IV and Oregon Trail on the PC.
5. 1980 (10%): Pac-Man and Centipede in the arcade, Space Invaders on the Atari 2600 and Zork on the PC.

"When you look back at some of the iconic titles released in 1996, it's not hard to see why it topped the poll," said IGN's Tom Butler. "With Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, and Crash Bandicoot, Super Mario 64, Pokemon Red & Green, Duke Nukem 3D, Diablo, and The Elder Scrolls II all out in the same year - 1996 was truly a vintage year for gamers."

While 1996 made first place, it's worth noting the year won by an incredibly narrow margin. Multiple gaming generations encompass that top five list, with 1975 eventually coming in tenth thanks to the historic Pong. As with most of our hobby, it seems that Golden Ages are far more subjective than one might initially expect.

Still, no 1998, Britain? Half-Life, StarCraft, and Zelda: Ocarina of Time don't warrant the top five? That's a strange kind of Golden Age you've got there. Strange, indeed.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm with you on 1998, it was my favourite gaming year in history. I weep for those who didn't get to experience its glory.

Gerishnakov

Jun 15, 2010
'98 also definitely my gaming 'Golden Year'. Ocarina, Banjo, Goldeneye (I think it was also the year I actually got my 64 and therefore Mario).

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
2000 people is a pretty poor pool to draw from.

As far as my own personal 'Golden Year', I haven't even kept track of when the games I like were released. Certainly seems too hard to pin down any particular year as being 'the best'.

Jahandar

Sep 13, 2004
Definitely 1998. I made a list a few years ago, among my personal favorites:

Thief
Half-Life
Grim Fandango
StarCraft
Fallout 2
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Starsiege: Tribes
Metal Gear Solid
Baldur's Gate
Unreal

etc.

I have the full list at http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/jahandar/lists/why-1998-was-the-best-year-in-gaming/50991

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
I don't know about choosing a particular year. That seems like a pretty brief window for a golden age. However, I would agree that the second half of the 90s was a good time to be a gamer. Between the playstation and the 64 there was some great stuff. Mario 64 is still my favorite Mario and I will always remember the first time I saw the battle of Hoth in Shadows of the Empire on my friend's ridiculously huge TV. Good times!

Terragent

Jan 15, 2010
That's not even the end of 1996's ground-breaking games; we've also got Quake, Mechwarrior II Mercenaries, Pilotwings 64...

For me, though, it would probably have to be 1995. Command & Conquer, Mechwarrior II, Warcraft II, Chrono Trigger, Heroes of Might & Magic, Kirby's Dream Land 2, Seiken Densetsu 3, Worms, Dark Forces, Transport Tycoon, Yoshi's Island... A lot to love there.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah, that list is all over the place. Not necessarily wrong, there were indeed great games in those times, but they way they are spread out randomly in different decades is a bit strange. Also the way that there seems to be a very narrow margin between each entry on the list. Nothing is really taking precedence.

I guess it means there isn't really a single "golden age". People have their own golden ages and there isn't really a single one that everyone agrees on.

Feb 28, 2008
For those interested in fighting it out between any given years, knock yourselves out [Category:1996 video games].

In my opinion, 1999 was a very fine year: AoE II: The Age of Kings; Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri; Ape Escape; Chrono Cross; DoA 2; Legacy of Kain; Resident Evil 3; Sim City 3000; Worms Armageddon; Silent Hill.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Mr Cwtchy said:
Especially if you are going to claim that "Britain" is doing it.

"British Poll says", fine. The numbers make it unimportant, but it's still true. "Britain says"...no, that's a lie.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yahtzee was right, the greatest game ever was made when you were 12. In other words, Nostalgia rules all...even me now that I think about it.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
1993-2004 is the range I reserve. So, so many great games. A period of huge growth.
After 2004, there's still plenty of great games, but the gains were slowing down rather quickly.

And now...we're up to our necks in sequels. The indie scene still has great ideas though and now, the means to bring those ideas to fruition without getting stomped into a mudhole by the economic and technical might of publishers.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Wish I had known about this ... actually I don't, the choices to be made!

If it had been less single year and more 5 year or decade choices then ok but to define a single year as THE golden age of gaming? Oh boy!

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Fanghawk said:
Still, no 1998, Britain? Half-Life, StarCraft, and Zelda: Ocarina of Time don't warrant the top five? That's a strange kind of Golden Age you've got there. Strange, indeed.
Half Life is the only one of the three I give a shit about, must be a cultural thing. :p
Terragent said:
That's not even the end of 1996's ground-breaking games; we've also got Quake, Mechwarrior II Mercenaries, Pilotwings 64...

For me, though, it would probably have to be 1995. Command & Conquer, Mechwarrior II, Warcraft II, Chrono Trigger, Heroes of Might & Magic, Kirby's Dream Land 2, Seiken Densetsu 3, Worms, Dark Forces, Transport Tycoon, Yoshi's Island... A lot to love there.
God, yes. I'm torn but think 96 might just get it overall, when was Doom 2? Saying that the early 90s had a literal ton of Amiga games I'd consider some of my personal favourites that are still exceptionally enjoyable to this day.

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
Mr Cwtchy said:
It's more than most adverts use in their claims anyway.

Also, Mario's nose has not aged gracefully.