Britain's Royal Mail Marks 50 Years of Doctor Who

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Britain's Royal Mail Marks 50 Years of Doctor Who

The Royal Mail is celebrating 50 years of Doctor Who with commemorative stamps and special postmarks of all the actors who have played The Doctor.

You won't find too many television programs that can match the run of the venerable Doctor Who. It debuted in 1963, ran until 1989, then went off the air until its return in 2005, from whence it has continued to run to this very day. It is nothing short of a phenomenon, spawning a host of novels, several spin-off shows and, perhaps best of all, giving the world the Daleks and their famed call to arms, "Exterminate!"

And so it is that the Royal Mail has decided to mark The Doctor's golden anniversary with a series of stamps bearing the image of every actor to ever play the character and unique postmarks for each of their hometowns. A 12th stamp sports the TARDIS and four of The Doctor's most famous adversaries: the Daleks, Cybermen, Weeping Angels and Ood.

The stamps feature the images of ten guys who look like The Doctor plus Christopher Eccleston, who looks more like he's going to beat some sense into your ass - how did he ever get this job, anyway? - each laid over backgrounds taken from the opening sequences that ran during their tenures. The postmarks, meanwhile, will be applied to all stamped mail sent from each actor's hometown, so all correspondence coming from David Tennant's home of Bathgate, for instance, will bear a 50th anniversary mark and Tennant's name.

[gallery=1238]

The stamp set, like the show, is extremely popular, bringing in three times as many preorders as any previous commemorative set ever released by the Royal Mail. Oh, and you'd like a set for yourself? You're welcome [http://shop.royalmail.com/doctor-who/doctor-who-stamps/icat/doctorwhostampsets/].

Source: David Tennant News Updates [http://tennantnews.blogspot.ca/2013/03/royal-mail-celebrate-doctor-who-50th.html]

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
The ood aren't evil. Just putting it out there. The fact that they are on the stamp kid of bothers me. I mean, the Silents would fit much better.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
saintdane05 said:
The ood aren't evil. Just putting it out there. The fact that they are on the stamp kid of bothers me. I mean, the ______ would fit much better.
Of course the Ood aren't evil, but what would you suggest in their place?
The Silents debuted much more recently, are the main villains of the ark (I think), and are an Eleventh Staple. The last time we saw an Ood was Series 5. I think. Even then, it was a one off character.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
saintdane05 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
saintdane05 said:
The ood aren't evil. Just putting it out there. The fact that they are on the stamp kid of bothers me. I mean, the ______ would fit much better.
Of course the Ood aren't evil, but what would you suggest in their place?
The _______ debuted much more recently, are the main villains of the ark (I think), and are an Eleventh Staple. The last time we saw an Ood was Series 5. I think. Even then, it was a one off character.
Who appeared much more recently? And what are these marks on my arm?
Your arm? I have them on my damn face!
This is gettin weird... hey, what's that noise...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Christopher Eccleston, who looks more like he's going to beat some sense into your ass - how did he ever get this job, anyway?
He threatened to beat some sense into Russel T Davies' ass?

DVS BSTrD said:
Someday I hope I can be famous enough so that people will pay to lick the back of my head.
I'd do it for free.

saintdane05 said:
The last time we saw an Ood was Series 5. I think. Even then, it was a one off character.
There was one in the Neil Gaiman penned episode in Series 6.

Still, they're not one of the more "famous" of the Doctor's characters, let alone an enemy. Even the Angels, though they're also recent, do make more sense.

I wouldn't mind seeing a stamp with the different faces of the Master, or one of them instead of the Ood.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I live in the UK and this is news to me, I must be living under a rock. Oh, wait...

But seriously, must get me some of these. Just a shame I don't live in or even near a Doctor's home town. At least I don't think so, no one in their right mind would live here!

Tom Baker lives very close to where I work and he's been in a couple of times. I'm the only one who hasn't met him when he has popped in... and I'm the one who would care most to meet him! Rage!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh yeah, 50 years now...though, off air for 16 of those, if they made a new Phantom or Green Hornet series, you could say that's been going for decades, because they had shows in the 50s, IIRC.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Oh yeah, 50 years now...though, off air for 16 of those, if they made a new Phantom or Green Hornet series, you could say that's been going for decades, because they had shows in the 50s, IIRC.
During the time it was, "Off Air," it still had a comic and novel series, and a magazine. THere was also Scream of the Shalka.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
saintdane05 said:
thaluikhain said:
During the time it was, "Off Air," it still had a comic and novel series, and a magazine. THere was also Scream of the Shalka.
There is that, yes...mind you, the Phantom comics never stopped either.

Also, it seems that only the TV and movie (bleh) are considered reliably canonish.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
Well. I had to start taking an interest in stamps one day or another

Though I do agree with my fellow who watching escapist brethren above. The ood could probably be pushed in to the category of "the doctor's less interesting friends" if anything they. Should have put the master on a stamp. I mean he is pretty much the guy we think of when someone goes "the doctor's biggest foe". is the doctor's opiset, he's bizzarodoctor

As for the slethin and the soltaren. Well the slithen kind of deserves a stamp for being there during the doctor's resurrection in 2005 but they didn't really seem all that........ Competent.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Nice to see McGann got himself a stamp. I really feel sorry for the poor guy being stuck in the film. I don't see Peter Cushing though...

Subatomic

Sep 1, 2011
octafish said:
Nice to see McGann got himself a stamp. I really feel sorry for the poor guy being stuck in the film. I don't see Peter Cushing though...
Well, the 90s TV movie is at least partially canon, it's in the continuity of the series (except the bits that aren't, you know which I'm talking about)). The Peter Cushing movies... aren't. At all.

obedai

Mar 19, 2010
They are kinda right about Chris Eccleston though, he just doesn't really look like the doctor. He looks too......mean? Harsh? I'm not really sure what word to use, but he looks like a tough guy, and that isn't the doctor. Love the man though, he was fantastic. I really wish he would return for the anniversary special, but he has said in interviews that he does not want to. *sad face*

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Putting a weeping angle in a stamp is a terrible idea. Don't that know that whatever takes the image of an angel becomes an angel?!?!?!?